Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter/Dark Morning & Night running gear advice?

• 12-10-2020 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've recently talking up running (well, since lockdown happened), and I'm really enjoying it. I have never been able to run far or without being majorly out of breath in my life, and I'm only 24. It was fantastic for me to take up, I managed my longest distance to date at the weekend (9KM in 55 minutes). I'm not sure how good/bad that is, but I'm content with it.

Anyway, I usually run in the evenings after work, and seeing as it's getting dark at this time, and it will be worse now when the clocks go back, I'm looking for some advice on running gear so I can be seen in the dark.

Anyone here have any advice? Should I get a jacket that has the hi-vis colours, or should I get one of those arm bands that light up. Any advice here would be great?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I use a hi viz running vest like that one: https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hst1458/higher-state-race-vest-~-aw20/

It's mesh, so it's so light that you don't even notice it and it's completely breathable.

That, plus a headlamp (https://www.lampshoponline.com/energizer-led-vision-ultra-hd-headlight-s14671.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

In addition to clothing you can alter where you run but it might depend on where you live.
    I live on the edge of a large town so in the summer and on weekends I love to run away from town on quiet country roads and then as the evenings get dark I tend to run on roads around the town with footpaths and streetlights or do laps of a park that has no traffic and lights. I do be so sick of that park by February.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭event

Im thinking of getting one of these, they basically light up when lights shine on them

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hst1491/higher-state-all-over-reflect-running-jacket-~-aw20/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

If you register on the RSA site they have hi-vis running vests. Don't leave home without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

event wrote: »
    Im thinking of getting one of these, they basically light up when lights shine on them

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hst1491/higher-state-all-over-reflect-running-jacket-~-aw20/

I wear something like Thomas suggested.

I just can't wear jackets as end up turning into sweatboxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭event

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I wear something like Thomas suggested.

I just can't wear jackets as end up turning into sweatboxes.

Yeah it more for rain protection really. Sounds silly but dont want to pick up any colds in the winter not if I can avoid it. Dont fancy having a cough in public :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Lights are much much better than reflective material. Active beats passive.

Reflective material only works if another light source is pointed at them in the first place. Lights will be functional regardless. I find the little red flashing LED light armbands (which are usually combined with reflective material as well) to be effective. Putting one on your ankles is also very effective, due to the movement (I don't bother, but have seen how well it can work).

The "builders vest" high vis jackets are mostly useless. The reflective strips are the only useful bit of them at night. The dayglo material makes no difference at night. The clue is in the name!

A strong head torch is very effective if you need a very "active" way of being seen. That would be more useful in unlit more rural areas, especially if cars are coming towards you without dipping their high beams.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

event wrote: »

Got this type of jacket a couple of weeks ago for my morning walks. It’s amazing - the glow off it is superb, there’s no way any driver could not see me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Early dusk before the street lights come on you are best to wear hi viz yellow. But the evenings close in very quickly so once the lights come on you need something with 3m reflective material. I think a hi viz bib with 2 reflective stripes is what's recommended for the roads. Well that's what they say doing a safe pass course. One stripe is ok for construction sites but if you are working on the road two stripes are mandatory. I don't see what would be different for running. You were able to get them for free from the RSA website. I assume you still can. They are easier wear than a hi viz vest. There are companies like proviz that sell reflective jackets but I don't know how comfortable they would be on a mild night, they also have vests but they are expensive.

https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/reflect360-running-x-vest.html

On head lamps I use one like this one in the link below. It has 900 lumens on boost mode. I've it for 4 years now and no issues recharging. Some of the lads I use the chest strap light in the previous post they are good but personally I find my one brighter and better.

https://www.runnerinn.com/running/petzl-swift-rl/137324831/p

I've an attached a image used by the RSA a few years ago some might find helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Sub430 wrote: »

I also have this. Been using it for about 12 months and I find it great for running. It's good for making sure you are seen but also helps you to see when Street lights are obfuscated by trees or are broken. Really easy to fit and straps are adjustable. Charging via USB takes a few hours and it holds its charge well. Works just fine in wet weather too.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

As well as a reflective jacket, i throw on at least one of these: https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-led-armband-765114#colcode=76511490

Cheap as chips (I’ve never seen them at that MSRP of 11.99) and the battery lasts for ages. They are a bit like a watch... when you first put it on, you notice it, but after a while you forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

++++ to the advice on using lights or flashers. Hi viz is not the panacea it's made out to be. There are none so blind as those who will not see!

I use a combo of TBF's mesh bib, flashing lights on my arm and a head torch that flashes. Also (and I can't stress this enough) use your ears so you can be prepared to jump out of harms way and or direct your torch in the direction of any potential danger.

Happy running!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

I've been preparing for the bad weather too. Got one of those karrimo arm bands which are excellent but also trying to get prepared for wet weather running. I had a couple of wind jackets and one water-resistant Nike (which wasn't all that water resistant). So shelled out on this which is expensive but totally worth it! Really lovely fitted, lightweight, breathable, waterproof jacket which should see me well through the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

There's two types of reflection needed I think. One when dark and another when dusk/dawn. Get an active light(s) for dark runs and a high vis for the dusk/dawn runs. Your light is not as effective when it's not completely derk so you need another sign to catch drivers attention. So high vis is perfect. Be careful as the reflective material can dillute with washes and time so make sure you have a good, working one before heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

AhhHere wrote: »
    There's two types of reflection needed I think. One when dark and another when dusk/dawn. Get an active light(s) for dark runs and a high vis for the dusk/dawn runs. Your light is not as effective when it's not completely derk so you need another sign to catch drivers attention. So high vis is perfect. Be careful as the reflective material can dillute with washes and time so make sure you have a good, working one before heading out.

I thought you were going to say, "So, don't ever wash it" !!!

Save water and detergent. Save money and the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Reflective material on shoes is very visible due to the motion, but manufacturers are often leaving it off to save pennies. This type of reflective tape is good applied to the heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I'll 2nd the Proviz jackets they are the job not sure on the running one but use the cycling version..
    Its like a turkey bag as in you generate a lot of heat in it and the ventilation or lack of leave you soaked.
    I would defo take soaked over not been visible on dark wet nights on the bike.
    https://www.provizsports.com/eu/

They usually do a less 25% discount option at some stage...(think they just had a 20% version),
    15% standard discount on signing up with your email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions - I ended up buying this top from Proviz - https://www.provizsports.com/eu/classic-mens-long-sleeve-top.html

Advertisement