Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Railwayana Rogues Gallery

Options

Comments

Isambard wrote: »
    The vendors will often cheerfully admit they are repro, just as the ebay seller here did (in a guarded sort of way).

I was selling a real railway builder's plate a few years ago on ebay. For this type of item Ebay automatically warns you, before you put it up, that if it is fake and you advertise as real you will be banned or words to that effect. They are making some effort to prevent fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

that's good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

the classic car shows are stuffed with fake signs such as these. The vendors will often cheerfully admit they are repro, just as the ebay seller here did (in a guarded sort of way). I picked up a Norton motorbike sign for €20 the other day. Nice decorative item which is displayed outdoors without worrying about it.

It's the guys claiming they are real and asking big money are the villains here. There was one appeared on one of the BBC antique shows recently!

I'm well aware of the huge number of repros/fakes about but this one is of particular interest because of the authentic wear/back markings etc. plus I haven't these initials before.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seagoebox

Take a look at..

www.irishrailwayana.com

scroll down to "unclassified" section, number 5 "Fake Irish Railwayana" and you can see 8 fake examples.. CB&PR, GN&WR, W&TR, C&BR, T&KR, NW&RR, L&LSR and W&CIR.
    There are a lot of these signs around at car boot sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Del.Monte wrote: »
    t%2526d%2Bwater%2Btower.jpg

Exhibit .1. in situ on the former Tralee & Dingle Water Tower at Castlegregory Junction.

WATER%2BTOWER%2BSTREET%2BVIEW.PNG

Exhibit .2. Something is missing in this Streetview pic!

T%2526D.PNG

Exhibit.3. on DoneDeal today https://www.donedeal.ie/antiques-for-sale/old-railway-sign/20146352 :rolleyes:

The cowboy must have copied it as he is still selling them,
    The background of the sign looks a bit different to the pics you attached

https://www.adverts.ie/signs/sign/18228959

• Advertisement

ciarang85 wrote: »
    The cowboy must have copied it as he is still selling them,
    The background of the sign looks a bit different to the pics you attached

https://www.adverts.ie/signs/sign/18228959

I suspect it's the same one with a lick of paint.

Here's another one for sale at auction - not so much a repro as an entirely made up name.

EBSR%2BGate%2Bnotice.jpg

It's the well known Enniskillen, Bundoran & Sligo. :p

List of UK and Ireland Rail Companies here:
    http://www.railuk.info/company/company_search.php?offset=200&item=&choice=&dir=Next

"Johnsons Railways Atlas and Gazetteer" is also a good source of historic railway companies as well if one was in the casting business....

As a previous poster pointed out this website gives good information on fakes:
    http://www.irishrailwayana.com/pa306.htm

He says: "The principal sign subject to this treatment has been the GSWR four line gate." AND "The companies involved frequently had not the slightest connection with the GSWR, and their separate existence often expired long before the era of the GSWR gate."

This 'thing' sold in an Irish saleroom today for €45 - about €45 more than it's worth.

DNGR%2BSIGN.jpg

This 'thing' sold in an Irish saleroom today for €45 - about €45 more than it's worth.

DNGR%2BSIGN.jpg
    i think there's one on Donedeal too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

i think there's one on Donedeal too

Fools and their money are soon parted.

• Advertisement

depends what you want, I have a fake sign in my garden , cost €25 I think. It's an ornament that won't matter if it gets stolen. €45 too rich for me though although a genuine one will be at least twice that

depends what you want, I have a fake sign in my garden , cost €25 I think. It's an ornament that won't matter if it gets stolen. €45 too rich for me though although a genuine one will be at least twice that

A genuine DNGR sign will fetch in excess of €1,000 but more effort needed by the forgers if they want to achieve that.

€45, nearer to €55-60 with auctioneers fees included, is a lot for worthless scrap iron. What's more, it looks nothing like the genuine one, not even close, the text has one huge glaring error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Clearly a notice by the DNGR will not refer to a GSWR act of 1903 or any other year.

The craftsmen who produce these fakes seem to have no interest in making something that looks genuine. The purchasers of such rubbish should have more sense, especially those who buy them for pubs.

If somebody wants to manufacture fakes, let them at least make them appear genuine.

There's a new variation of the DNGR fake available on DoneDeal today. A nicer job too with the finer lettering, and for die hard republicans, the addition of the date 1916 by the Secretary's name might be prove a big selling point.

However, priced at €65 it's still about €65 more than it's worth. :D

DNGR%2BFake.jpeg

Thanks for sharing.

I don't think you would have any problem when you explained to the guard the essentialness of you journey to collect such a historic piece.

The 1916 addition is simply lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They sorted out some of the shockingly bad spacing, but by no means all!

I have a thing about bad typography, no sign-maker back in the day worth his salt would have allowed such a thing.

The headline fonts look a bit less modern than before but are still decades off.

Life ain't always empty.

They sorted out some of the shockingly bad spacing, but by no means all!

I have a thing about bad typography, no sign-maker back in the day worth his salt would have allowed such a thing.

The headline fonts look a bit less modern than before but are still decades off.

More importantly, it still has ormsby and gswr mixed into a sign headed dngr.
    The latter belonged lnwr / Lms / br until closure in 1951.

tabbey wrote: »
    More importantly, it still has ormsby and gswr mixed into a sign headed dngr.
    The latter belonged lnwr / Lms / br until closure in 1951.

It's still a dog's dinner, although they fool enough people to make it worthwhile making this ****.
    Limerick based "travelling salesmen" frequently advertise these on DoneDeal with fake automobilia.

i once saw a fake trespass notice on the BBC, one of their many "antiques" programmes...they hadn't a clue.

• Advertisement

Limerick based "travelling salesmen" frequently advertise these on DoneDeal with fake automobilia.

Would these be more specifically rathkeale based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

There's a new variation of the DNGR fake available on DoneDeal today. A nicer job too with the finer lettering, and for die hard republicans, the addition of the date 1916 by the Secretary's name might be prove a big selling point.

However, priced at €65 it's still about €65 more than it's worth. :D

DNGR%2BFake.jpeg

Fools and their money :rolleyes:

GNR%2BFAKE.png

This one is on Adverts.ie. I've not seen it before and the low price (€15) would indicate that the sellers is not passing it off as a genuine sign. I seem to remember GNR hand painted timber signs near Amiens Street station with similar warnings and this may have given the maker the idea. The GNR (I) would not have approved the sign with a typo either.

GNR%2BFAKE.png

This one is on Adverts.ie. I've not seen it before and the low price (€15) would indicate that the sellers is not passing it off as a genuine sign. I seem to remember GNR hand painted timber signs near Amiens Street station with similar warnings and this may have given the maker the idea. The GNR (I) would not have approved the sign with a typo either.

on donedeal currently https://www.donedeal.ie/collectibles-for-sale/cast-railway-sign/25228192

I see the DoneDeal seller also has another fake gate sign - BC&ER - as well as some mighty fresh looking military cap badges.

yeah I reported him

Up for Auction in Armagh shortly.

BC%2526DR%2BNOTICE.jpg

Up for Auction in Armagh shortly.

BC%2526DR%2BNOTICE.jpg

Presumably B & CDR.
    Fraudsters don't care.

Another that I haven't seen before - currently available in a NI auction.

FAKE.jpg

• Advertisement

you'd think an auction house would know of these fakes.

Advertisement