Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Caroline North and Manx Radio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neilgates

Looking at the complete lack of response to this thread over many many months the phrase flogging a dead horse comes to mind. Sad really

neilgates wrote: »
    Looking at the complete lack of response to this thread over many many months the phrase flogging a dead horse comes to mind. Sad really

Lets try revive it by re-posting the frequencies and then the rest of us giving signal reports.

It is too late to attempt to revive it. Rigor mortis has well and truly set in. I am afraid that the thread and the broadcast it promotes is obviously of no interest to anyone here

neilgates wrote: »
    It is too late to attempt to revive it. Rigor mortis has well and truly set in. I am afraid that the thread and the broadcast it promotes is obviously of no interest to anyone here

I wouldn't say it's of no interest, a lot of people read but don't comment.

Your username is very appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I listen in every month and from the sound of reaction on air,the comments on the Caroline facebook page, and the bookings for visitor trips out to The Ross, it seems to me that the ship based broadcasts are increasing in popularity. Helped, no doubt by the publicity received from the award of the AM licence for 648Khz the various event anniversaries and also, sadly, Ronan's recent passing.

Caroline in general would seem to be gaining listeners with their presence online, on AM and on DAB in the UK. It's not 50kw from the north sea, but they are doing alright at the moment and good luck to them.

P.S are you the real Neil Gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

I wouldn't say it's of no interest, a lot of people read but don't comment.

I would be one of those... this thread always reminds me when its going to be on.
    I listen to caroline anyway on-line, and its relayed in Cork from time to time on FM, but its cool to tune in on AM when its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

RINO87 wrote: »
    I would be one of those... this thread always reminds me when its going to be on.
    I listen to caroline anyway on-line, and its relayed in Cork from time to time on FM, but its cool to tune in on AM when its there.

Can you receive the Manx relay in Cork?.
    Here in Wicklow, 1368Khz is sounding well, particularly after the most recent renovation and power increase. I have heard the 648Khz signal too, but only at night, in the deep dark winter, and even then it was just about there.

One of my fondest radio memories was hearing a signal from The Ross on it's first day of broadcasting in 1983. In the days before internet, I was tipped off by a UK radio contact that the ship was in position, earlier that week. I heard UK radio reports during the first day saying that the station was on air, but daytime reception wasn't possible in Dublin. Then, night fell and the music rolled in on 963Khz - the first voice I heard was Tony Gareth (Gareth O'Callaghan). He had dropped off the Dublin radio scene and had been working in the UK for a while.

While running at full power of 50kw, Caroline was easily received at night in Dublin, unfortunately though night-time programming on the main rig switched to USA religious programming (Oral Roberts) when additional frequencies were added on board.

The next opportunity for offshore reception in Dublin was in the mid 80's when Laser 558 launched. When they eventually managed to get a bit of power out of their always inadequate antenna system, you could hear them in Dublin, but only very late at night and when RTE radio one closed down.

Fun times.... and topped off in 2004 when some of us Phantom FM heads made a pilgrimage to The Ross Revenge when it was in Tilbury port for the station's 40th anniversary. We were on board for the birthday broadcasts and for an access all areas tour of the ship by our colleague Steve Conway, who was the last man winched off the deck when the ship ran aground in 1991. She was only partly restored at the time and the general public only got access to the safe parts - we however were brought down to the impressive dirty and dangerous engine room (an amazing sight).

It was a great experience but it was sad to see the great ship broadcasting with a temporary station licensed power output of only 1 watt on AM. Luckily 'supporters' around the UK and Europe organised pirate AM and FM relays of the webstream, to mark the occasion. I remember that there were AM relays operating over that weekend in Dublin and Waterford putting out far more power than was radiating from the ship. :)

If you ever get the chance to head out to the Blackwater for a look, be sure to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Oh dear --- poor old neilgates just as bitter as ever -- just can't accept that Radio Caroline continues to go from strength to strength .

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Oh dear --- poor old neilgates just as bitter as ever -- just can't accept that Radio Caroline continues to go from strength to strength .

Why ? what's the deal with him ?

• Advertisement

Why ? what's the deal with him ?
    Google is your friend .

http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/djs8g2h.htm

Is it the same Neil here though ?

But from the link above I still don't get the deal with him ?

Is it the same Neil here though ?

But from the link above I still don't get the deal with him ?
    Ask him
    Some more to read -

https://freeradiocaroline.com/how-radio-caroline-was-stolen/
    Interesting thread here -
    https://members7.boardhost.com/PirateRadio/msg/1522852074.html

and of course the strapline on some posts "Sounding fake on 648".

Schedule for 14th , 15th and 16th August.
    Friday 14th August
    09:00 Top Fifteens
    10:00 Chris Pearson
    12:00 Rob Ashard
    13:00 Ray Clark
    16:00 Barry James
    19:00 Dave Foster
    21:00 Andrew Austin

Saturday 15th August
    00:00 Steve Anthony with 'Caroline Continues'
    03:00 Bill Rollins
    06:00 Ray Clark
    08:30 Chris Williams Carnaby Street from Manx Radio
    10:30 Chris Pearson
    13:00 Paul Brown
    15:30 Barry James
    18:30 Andrew Austin
    21:00 Dave Foster

Sunday 16th August
    00:00 Clive Derek
    03:00 Steve Anthony
    06:00 Chris Pearson
    09:00 Top Fifteens
    10:00 Paul Brown
    12:00 Barry James
    14:00 Ray Clark
    17:00 Andrew Austin
    21:00 Close

Just a friendly reminder that the September link up between Radio Caroline North / Manx radio takes place on 19th / 20th September.
    Schedule to follow - hope the studios aboard the Ross Revenge can be used due to the current Covid - 19 restrictions.
    Have a peaceful ,enjoyable week end .

Mad_Lad -- where has your Kiwi SDR Ireland gone to ?

Mad_Lad -- where has your Kiwi SDR Ireland gone to ?

See below, did you not know already that I had to get the reverse proxy service from valentfx ? mobile providers blocking ports.

http://emeraldsdr.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/

http://emeraldsdr1.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/

Thanks for the new link -- yours is a great SDR .
    How you manage to receive Carillon on 1476 khz during he day I'll never know !
    Just a sniff of Radio Caroline on 648 khz .

Thanks for the new link -- yours is a great SDR .
    How you manage to receive Carillon on 1476 khz during he day I'll never know !
    Just a sniff of Radio Caroline on 648 khz .

Thanks!

Probably a mix between antenna and my location, not sure, did you compared the 2 sdr's with the different antennas ?

Yes -- on the "old" 8073 and 8074 I thought there was quite a difference between them but not now unless I'm mistaken .
    Initially I thought the new links linked to the same SDR .

• Advertisement

Yes -- on the "old" 8073 and 8074 I thought there was quite a difference between them but not now unless I'm mistaken .
    Initially I thought the new links linked to the same SDR .

Make sure you use the two different URL's they are very similar with only the 1 emeraldsdr1 being different, they both use port 8073 this time or the reverse proxy wouldn't work.

Usually the Megaloop is better for local hams on 80m and above say 15 Mhz but the Megadipol is better below 15 Mhz and for DX.

If you ever get the chance to check out the little Bonito MA305 whip do it's brilliant for it's size, needs good quality coax such as H155 and it needs to be grounded, bonito also supply a ground rod and ground kit for the coax.

The MA305 works extremely well with portable receivers such as the Tecsuns, the PL-680 being my favourite, really great sounding audio not mutilated by the harshness of some DSP radios such as the Tecsun PL-880 and S-8800 and XHDATA D-808.

For the money the PL-680 is really great, of course the MA305 works great with sdr.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Caroline is also being relayed Sunday 20th by the Dundalk pirate on 3905 kHz. Good signal on the Irish SDR's.

Just a quick heads up reminder that Radio Caroline North / Manx Radio link up takes place 17th / 18th October .
    Schedule :
    Saturday 17th October
    00:00 – 06:00 Continuous Caroline Music
    06:00 – 08:30 John Ellery
    08:30 – 10:30 Chris Williams (Carnaby Street from Manx Radio)
    10:30 – 13:00 Johnny Lewis
    13:00 - 16:00 Paul McKenna
    16:00 - 19:00 Grant Benson
    19:00 – 21:00 Andrew Austin
    21:00 - 00:00 Dave Foster

Sunday 18th October
    00:00 – 03:00 Kevin Peters
    03:00 – 06:00 Bill Rollins
    06:00 – 09:00 Steve Antony
    09:00 – 13:00 Johnny Lewis
    13:00 – 17:00 Andrew Austin
    17:00 – 21:00 Dave Foster

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

Make sure you use the two different URL's they are very similar with only the 1 emeraldsdr1 being different, they both use port 8073 this time or the reverse proxy wouldn't work.

Usually the Megaloop is better for local hams on 80m and above say 15 Mhz but the Megadipol is better below 15 Mhz and for DX.

If you ever get the chance to check out the little Bonito MA305 whip do it's brilliant for it's size, needs good quality coax such as H155 and it needs to be grounded, bonito also supply a ground rod and ground kit for the coax.

The MA305 works extremely well with portable receivers such as the Tecsuns, the PL-680 being my favourite, really great sounding audio not mutilated by the harshness of some DSP radios such as the Tecsun PL-880 and S-8800 and XHDATA D-808.

For the money the PL-680 is really great, of course the MA305 works great with sdr.

great to monitor the energy am signal in carlow,especially when doing adjustments to antenna etc

Glad it’s a useful tool :D

Would be great to get a stronger signal down this way.

I used to listen in the car when I had the Nissan Leaf but am doesn’t work in the car when it’s driving due to the noise from the inverter.

BMW disabled AM because of this but I hacked it and to my surprise it actually even received the 49 meter shortwave band and it works pretty well when the car is stopped. No metal in the car so no grounding and it doesn’t work so good to shield the noise.

Shake off those Autumn / Winter blues with the November link up between Manx Radio and Radio Caroline on 21st and 22nd.
    Sadly not from the Ross Revenge .
    Schedule to follow

Schedule - have fun
    Saturday 21st November
    00:00 Continuous Caroline Music
    06:00 John Ellery
    08:30 Chris Pearson Carnaby Street from Manx Radio
    10:30 Johnny Lewis
    14:00 Dave Foster
    16:00 Andrew Austin
    19:00 Ray Copeland

Sunday 22nd November
    00:00 Kevin Peters
    06:00 Steve Anthony
    09:00 Chris Pearson
    12:00 Johnny Lewis
    14:30 Andrew Austin
    17:00 Ray Copeland

Sorry for being late !
    12/13 December

Schedule - enjoy the week end.
    Saturday 12th December
    00:00 Continuous Caroline Music
    06:00 John Ellery
    08:30 Chris Pearson Carnaby Street from Manx Radio
    10:30 Johnny Lewis
    13:00 Paul McKenna
    16:00 Andrew Austin
    18:30 Ray Copeland

Sunday 13th December
    00:00 Kevin Peters
    06:00 Steve Anthony
    09:00 Johnny Lewis
    12:00 Chris Pearson
    14:30 Andrew Austin
    17:00 Ray Copeland
    21:00 Close

Darn forgot to wish everyone a peaceful Christmas !
    Here's some good news for 2021 -- dates subject to change .

16/17 January
    13/14 February
    13/14 March
    02/04 April (Easter)

Stay in good health .

• Advertisement

Next link up 16/17 January.2021
    Schedule to follow .

Advertisement