Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Bus Stop Numbers Useful ?

Options
  • 10-10-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

In the TFI app there are bus stop numbers shown against departure listings and in trip diagrams.

Do people use them to identity they are at the right stop or for other purposes ? And if so which purposes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Example screenshot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Yes they are useful. If I'm waiting at a stop in an area I'm not familar with I will look up the stop number for RTPI as it saves searching for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

When I'm giving people directions to my location I often tell them which stop number to get off the bus.

When I'm travelling in an unknown area, I can find the stop I'm getting off using the number and check it against my location using GPS.

When I arrive at an unfamiliar stop with no RTPI I can quickly check and enter the stop number in the app to see when the next bus is due.

Yes, it's incredibly useful!

Or at least it was before I migrated from bus to bike due to youknowhat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kinda wondering how the only definitive way of telling one bus stop from another could *not* be useful.

kinda wondering how the only definitive way of telling one bus stop from another could *not* be useful.

I'll have to open my eyes next time but where on the stop or shelter is the number actually written ? And is it big enough to be seen from inside the bus for someone looking to get off ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not really visible for someone looking to get off, by the time you would cop it it'd be pretty much too late to hit the button. they're more for the people at the stop really.

you can see it on the blue circle above the bus stop here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3868709,-6.2564348,3a,39.3y,261.46h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9kDzoUBO4LLIDgShGZGVfQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Thanks for that, I was wondering how it was displayed. I'm surprised actually (I'm looking at this from a data perspective) how the stop codes vary from single digit to 6 digits.

Its an unusual format, I'd expect them all to be the same length

probably historical. you can see a lot of the single digit ones on parnell square on the side across from the rotunda entrance, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Thanks for that, I was wondering how it was displayed. I'm surprised actually (I'm looking at this from a data perspective) how the stop codes vary from single digit to 6 digits.

Its an unusual format, I'd expect them all to be the same length

When TFI roll out standard nationwide stops that will probably be addressed.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104459971&postcount=99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

From looking at it, I think stops served by Dublin bus and Go ahead have their own range of digits which they are allocated (in the 0 to ~10000 range), whereas it looks like all Bus Eireann stops are giving 6 digits for the stop numbers.

A uniform nationwide numbering system would be a lot better imo

• Advertisement

A practical example of this is shown in the image below where the search algorithm doesn't kick in until 3 characters are typed. So while you can find stop 603 this way, you won't get 60.

And its not practical really to start matching on a single character when you have thousands of stops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

A practical example of this is shown in the image below where the search algorithm doesn't kick in until 3 characters are typed. So while you can find stop 603 this way, you won't get 60.

And its not practical really to start matching on a single character when you have thousands of stops

Is searching by 60* any good? It might give you 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

probably historical. you can see a lot of the single digit ones on parnell square on the side across from the rotunda entrance, IIRC.
    Are the numbers that are/used to be on the bus shelters different from the bus stop numbers?

(When I was a regular bus users in the 1980's/early 1990's, the northbound shelter opposite the Church of the Holy Child in Whitehall was number 0001.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Are the numbers that are/used to be on the bus shelters different from the bus stop numbers?

(When I was a regular bus users in the 1980's/early 1990's, the northbound shelter opposite the Church of the Holy Child in Whitehall was number 0001.)

Yes I think one of them is used by the advertising company to indetify the stops. Sort of confusing for passengers. The actual bus stop number can be found on the timetable or the DB or TFI roundel.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

GT89 wrote: »
    Yes I think one of them is used by the advertising company to indetify the stops. Sort of confusing for passengers. The actual bus stop number can be found on the timetable or the DB or TFI roundel.

Yes. It's an 'asset tag' for the shelter. Note however that there are two series of shelter numbers. If we take stop 2819 Dundrum Road, Bird Avenue, the shelter number used to be 1595, the new one is 14-506, with the "14" representing the postal district.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1567791379#map=18/53.30546/-6.24573

Old shelter old number https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3055455,-6.2457807,3a,15y,93.34h,86.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV1nUwFnNZapoMKQXLFhdvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

New shelter old number https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3055882,-6.2458632,3a,15y,120.32h,89.62t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sglrptvtQ_50bmB7udC7tfA!2e0!5s20140701T000000!7i13312!8i6656

New shelter new number https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3055104,-6.2458301,3a,30y,90.84h,85.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1NJDdDhIIcrBlGQzLQIO9Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Advertisement