Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BER after Solar PV

• 08-10-2020 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭

As part of the SEAI domestic grant, you need to have a BER done post install right?

Has anyone had their BER change from this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

mp3guy wrote: »
    As part of the SEAI domestic grant, you need to have a BER done post install right?

Has anyone had their BER change from this?

The Ber will change and will get better as the "eco friendlyness " of the house will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

graememk wrote: »
    The Ber will change and will get better as the "eco friendlyness " of the house will increase.

That's what I thought but I was looking for some first person accounts to get an idea of how much of change people have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That's what I thought but I was looking for some first person accounts to get an idea of how much of change people have seen.

It was discussed before. The BER bands are not all the same so it depends on what your starting BER rating is.

KCross wrote: »
    It was discussed before. The BER bands are not all the same so it depends on what your starting BER rating is.

I tried searching for previous discussion but couldn't find anything, got a link?

I understand the BER scale is non-linear, so surely for a given solar power plus battery size that translates into a consistent amount of kWh/m^2/yr subtracted from your current BER?

I tried searching for previous discussion but couldn't find anything, got a link?

I understand the BER scale is non-linear, so surely for a given solar power plus battery size that translates into a consistent amount of kWh/m^2/yr subtracted from your current BER?

I got a pre works BER survey done as we thought it would be touch and go that a C rating after the panels. We didnt end up going that route. but turns out we would have scraped a C3 if we got 4kwp of panels installed.. ended up with 5.6 lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Some discussion here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112954062&postcount=110

So, yes it would be a set amount that gets included in the figure but depending on the size of your house and what BER you are starting with its possible that it wouldnt improve your BER at all and conversely it could improve it by one or even two bands.... basically, it depends.

This is why you typically get a BER done before you invest in SolarPV to ensure that you will be eligible for the grant after the install.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Multiply the kW of the panels by 1.7, divide into sq meter of house and you will get a M2 energy reduction, at the range I'm looking at the gaps in the rates are 25 so for me I am at a 54M2 reduction so hoping to move up two in the rating tables

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

I went from a C1 to a B2 for a 2.4KwP + 5Kw battery installed in July

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

We install a 2.4kw pv array, no battery and went from C1 to B2, completed this February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

Mine went from D1 to B2. (4.2kwp, plus battery etc) almost a year done now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My brutally poorly built 20 year old house was already a B5 I think (after large solar thermal install and changing all the light bulbs), that's before I changed the front door for a highly insulated composite one, added serious attic roof insulation and installed a large PV system with battery. Also replaced the kitchen extension roof to insulate it to the latest regs and replaced the plastic roof on my conservatory with a fixed insulated roof also to current regs. If I get tested again, surely I will get an A rating. Which is a bit of a joke :p

Edit - looked it up and I have a B3 already :D

It's a calculation not a measurement. Hence meaningless and at the discretion, observation and intellect of the assessor. The human is the highest liability in most systems.

It's a calculation not a measurement. Hence meaningless and at the discretion, observation and intellect of the assessor. The human is the highest liability in most systems.

Is it really that subjective? A given PV system has a nominal annual output which translates into kWh/yr. As mentioned above, normalize by your house's area and you have a value you can subtract from the total kWh/yr/m2 your home already uses, then see what bin you fall into.

A measurement is always more accurate than a calculation. Are you familar with Irish building standards? Think 19th century Scandinavia.

A measurement is always more accurate than a calculation. Are you familar with Irish building standards? Think 19th century Scandinavia.

Probably more familiar with irish building standards than 19th century Scandinavian ones in fairness.

Side note: House had BER done 7 years ago, should I get the same assessor or someone different?

Probably more familiar with irish building standards than 19th century Scandinavian ones in fairness.

Side note: House had BER done 7 years ago, should I get the same assessor or someone different?

Were you happy with the last one, & has anything else changed in the house in the interim? No harm in looking for a quote

graememk wrote: »
    Were you happy with the last one, & has anything else changed in the house in the interim? No harm in looking for a quote

Happy yes and moderate changes in the interim, before solar.

House had BER done 7 years ago, should I get the same assessor or someone different?

If you want a box ticked it doesn't matter.

If you want a true assesment of the house's performance you have to measure it.

If you want a box ticked it doesn't matter.

If you want a true assesment of the house's performance you have to measure it.

Well that doesn't make it clear.

I have an assessment of the house's performance, I know how much energy I use in a year because I measured it myself. So in that regard, all the BER is is a box ticking exercise.

If I get the same assessor, he's familiar with the starting point and can make a relative adjustment which may be better? A new assessor might assess things differently. But what does it matter when I can calculate the kWh/m2/yr myself based on my own bills over the past year anyway. Only important for grants and planning I suppose, or selling.

Only important for grants and planning I suppose, or selling.

Agreed.
    It's a vague and relative scale that's entirely fallible.

The heating bills are more accurate but not a silver bullet either because the atmospheric conditions are variable year to year.

It's like a lottov things, doing it right is more difficult so why bother.

• Advertisement

Agreed.
    It's a vague and relative scale that's entirely fallible.

The heating bills are more accurate but not a silver bullet either because the atmospheric conditions are variable year to year.

It's like a lottov things, doing it right is more difficult so why bother.

And heating bills are more subjective than anything. If I lived alone in my house, my gas (heating) bill would be near zero. I would set the thermostat to no more than 17C and only in the living area. Alas there are 4 females in my household who like it a lot warmer than that :p

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

unkel wrote: »
    Alas there are 4 females in my household
    Sorry for your pain :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have exact same pain, herself and three daughters, sit in tee shirt in living room when them in hoodies and blankies :rolleyes:

Spocker wrote: »
    Sorry for your pain :pac:

Painfully hot :D

And when my mother in law (elderly) visits, the temps are cranked up to near 30C :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just got my cert yesterday. Up from a C2 to a B2. Partly due to the PV installation and partly due to getting a stove in place of the open fire.

Fiver says you would have got the same rating if the flue was blocked and the solar was disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Tenner says you're a blast at parties.

Easy money, here pass me the nitro glycerol willya please?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

Just got my BER to get grant. And the addition of 4.65 kWp, 5 kWp inverter and 5.7kWh battery moved my BER rating from a B2 to a B1 !

I had previously got a BER in February for other changes made to house, so literally the only difference was the addition of solar panels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Rzeznik

I had 2,48kWp installed in Jul. My BER after this changed from 160,35kWh/m2/yr (C1) to 125.22kWh/m2/yr (B3 - B2 is under 125... :D).

Advertisement