Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet cow? ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

_Brian wrote: »
    Cattle that get the same attention as horses or ponies receive have just as good character, exhibit the same range of interaction and ability to befriend humans.

Knocking something because you don’t understand it demonstrates limited capacity never mind dishing the animals 🙄
    Maybe my language was harsher than I meant it, but you can hardly argue that cows are as intelligent as horses. It would be a supremely intelligent cow that would be as intelligent as a horse, particularly regarding commands, training etc., i.e. interaction.

This isn't me having a go at cows, the point I was making is to try and explain to the OP what cows are like in comparison to horses, which they are familiar with. In hindsight I should have just said less intelligent and left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It means giving birth to a young cow which is called a cowling.
    Then it grows into a bullock and then finally at two years of age it becomes a cow.

Thought it was called a calf but then what would I know being a Dub with half a dozen bullocks in their back garden :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Maybe my language was harsher than I meant it, but you can hardly argue that cows are as intelligent as horses. It would be a supremely intelligent cow that would be as intelligent as a horse, particularly regarding commands, training etc., i.e. interaction.

This isn't me having a go at cows, the point I was making is to try and explain to the OP what cows are like in comparison to horses, which they are familiar with. In hindsight I should have just said less intelligent and left it at that.

If your on Twitter I’d say look up @ladyhaywire to see cattle at their best. Commercial cattle that would make many horses seem dumb.

Animals also have genetic differences in their ability to be more domesticated, definitely not a representation of intelligence or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

A bullock is a castrated male. A heifer is a maiden cow. If you have horses then keeping a (whatever it is??🙄) Is no bother.
    If it's a heifer it might get a bit adventurous when on heat.
    A bullock would be easier.
    A cow would be alright too
    begorra
    And a freemartin would be woke

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

lalababa wrote: »
    And a freemartin would be woke

All Martins should be set free. 'Free the Martins' I say.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

All Martins should be set free. 'Free the Martins' I say.

That’s all good and fair.
    But nobody wants one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

That’s all good and fair.
    But nobody wants one.
    I here bengie the gay bull is living it up in england so I might set up a charity to save the martin who wants to be the first to donate

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

mickdw wrote: »
    You could keep the cow on your plot while still being in the current farmers herd.
    She could then be tested, dosed etc along with his other animals if nearby or if you have a trailer to move her.
    There are official ways of doing this in compliance with department of agriculture rules as far as i know.

That's an idea alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I dunno, you seem to be defining intelligence as being trained. Just because a horse follows commands doesn't equate to intelligence.

I can think of loads of examples that show cows are intelligent. In the parlour cows tapping the meal bin with their head to get a few extra nuts, using their tongue to open gates and eating blackberries off the ditch. They do have thorns in their nose after but I guess they've weighed up the risk/reward on that one!

kerryjack wrote: »
    I here bengie the gay bull is living it up in england so I might set up a charity to save the martin who wants to be the first to donate

I remember that story, it was very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

More like Benji the gay bullock now.
    The bull had to be castrated when he arrived at the sanctuary. Not because he’s gay, but because it’s just a policy to stop the surprise arrival of new baby bulls!

https://evoke.ie/2019/09/04/extra/benjy-the-gay-bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Hahaha that's hilarious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

A cow is for life, not just for Xmas.

They keep for ages in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fkndsfs

Follow your heart...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Why not.there are a few regulations and if your friends with another farmer you can get advice and what dose s you might.we have some right pets and have alot of fun and this year unfortunately we lost the biggest pet of them all but we had some great fun with her and it will be long time before shes forgotten(as luck would have it she had her first heifer this year after all bulls).in every bunch of heifers there is always 1 or 2 characters and son 2 is a sight for making pets of them

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Or the OP could just buy the animal and pay for its upkeep, leave it in the farmers herd where it will be happy and looked after and visit it now and again!

This could be a thing you know. Sponsor a cow/calf/weanling/bullock/heifer scheme. Vegans welcomed.

This is up a d running on a Kerry( where else ) sheep farm. They do sheep dog demonstrations for tourists on the ring of kerry.

You can adopt a sheep for only 50 euro a year.

https://www.kissanesheepfarm.com/adopt.html
    )

I found out she's a dairy cow so she'll avoid the abattoir for a good while yet :) I'll have a think about it and see. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

This is up a d running on a Kerry( where else ) sheep farm. They do sheep dog demonstrations for tourists on the ring of kerry.

)

How does Joe tourist know its their sheep they meet?
    How long does a sheep live for anyway? Can Joe tourist get his sheep wrapped to go?
    I wonder could I put my kids up fro adoption. Bit smarter than sheep. Might have to consider adopting out parts as they're more expensive to keep than sheep.
    Or maybe I could just borrow one of Buford sheep. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Have u considered a goldfish.
    Fierce intelligent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

)
    This don't sit right with me, like is it not scraping the arse of the barrel, kind of a charity like put the hat around looking for donations or is it good business, seen an opportunity a market abroad for people to adopt a sheep and get sent a cert and picture of sheep. Personally I don't like the idea, wouldn't have anything to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,881 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

)

Great way of shaking down people with more money than sense.
    Cute Kerry fcukers would buy and sell you.

Great way of shaking down people with more money than sense.
    Cute Kerry fcukers would buy and sell you.

They're gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Ah hold on....if they were really convinced he was gay....there wouldn't be any risk of any babies..

Seems like they didn't trust their own prognosis...😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,881 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

alps wrote: »
    Ah hold on....if they were really convinced he was gay....there wouldn't be any risk of any babies..

Seems like they didn't trust their own prognosis...ðŸ˜

They didn't believe their own bullshît.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This don't sit right with me, like is it not scraping the arse of the barrel, kind of a charity like put the hat around looking for donations or is it good business, seen an opportunity a market abroad for people to adopt a sheep and get sent a cert and picture of sheep. Personally I don't like the idea, wouldn't have anything to do with it.

There's environmental groups/individuals in this country getting paid with Californian money to harang farmers on social media to reduce their carbon footprint just so these Californian companies in this country can continue as is and claim green credentials and possibly get some farmers out of business to meet this country's target.

If people are willing to take the shilling doing that line of work then bejesus I wouldn't begrudge the Kerry farmer, more power to them.

Found out the cow is a Whitehead. Is that a breed or an informal name for a breed?

Mules wrote: »
    Found out the cow is a Whitehead. Is that a breed or an informal name for a breed?

Local for Hereford
    Nice cattle, can’t imagine it’s going for dairy, dairy beef I’d expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Mules wrote: »

I've a bit of migraine and my eyes aren't great today. I misread this as "Found out the cow is a whitelad" :D

NcdJd wrote: »
    I've a bit of migraine and my eyes aren't great today. I misread this as "Found out the cow is a whitelad" :D

:D

• Advertisement

Local for Hereford
    Nice cattle, can’t imagine it’s going for dairy, dairy beef I’d expect.

What does dairy beef mean?

Advertisement