Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet cow? ?

Options
  • 08-10-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I've been keeping an eye on a small herd of bullocks for someone. I've got a liking for one of them. She's friendly and lets me pat her nose. I don't fancy her heading off to the abattoir.

Would it be a bit mad to have a cow as a pet? The owner is grand with it.
    Are they hassle to look after? I have land and a fair few horses but I don't know anything about cattle. I've a few questions.
      Other than grazing and water what else do they need?
        Do you need to worm and vaccinate them?
          Do they need to have their hooves trimmed?
            Do they need other cows for company or would a horse do?
              Would I need a cattle crush?
                Would I need to test for tb if the animal never left the property or interacted with another herd?
                  Will a few trees do them for shelter in winter or do they need to be inside?
                  Is there anything else I should know?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Open the link below and click on bullet point 3. This will give you an idea of DAFM's legal requirements for keeping cattle.
                  https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/
                  Edit to add: horses have a tendency to chase cattle particularly if they are not used to them and/or there is a single individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Mules wrote: »
                  I've been keeping an eye on a small herd of bullocks for someone. I've got a liking for one of them. She's friendly and lets me pat her nose. I don't fancy her heading off to the abattoir.

Would it be a bit mad to have a cow as a pet? The owner is grand with it.
                  Are they hassle to look after? I have land and a fair few horses but I don't know anything about cattle. I've a few questions.
                    Other than grazing and water what else do they need?
                      Do you need to worm and vaccinate them?
                        Do they need to have their hooves trimmed?
                          Do they need other cows for company or would a horse do?
                            Would I need a cattle crush?
                              Would I need to test for tb if the animal never left the property or interacted with another herd?
                                Will a few trees do them for shelter in winter or do they need to be inside?
                                Is there anything else I should know?:D

Is the bullock trans? I think you'd be mad of have any animal as a pet. They are expensive to keep. You'll likely need to dose for fluke and worms at the very least. Sooner or later he/she will have some health issue and a vet can't examine if the animal can't be restrained. Same goes for annual tb test. I'd say you'd need at least two bovines together anyway as they need company of their own kind. So yes, you would be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

amens wrote: »
                                Is the bullock trans? I think you'd be mad of have any animal as a pet. They are expensive to keep. You'll likely need to dose for fluke and worms at the very least. Sooner or later he/she will have some health issue and a vet can't examine if the animal can't be restrained. Same goes for annual tb test. I'd say you'd need at least two bovines together anyway as they need company of their own kind. So yes, you would be mad.

Not trans, I should have said heifer :D Yes it is sounding increasingly mad. She's a fresian, are they always used for dairy or are some used for beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

In the wintertime too, you will need proper housing. The big thing for me though is cattle are a herd animal and therefore need another at least for company.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A cow is for life, not just for Xmas.

• Advertisement
                              • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not unheard of in many countries to have a jersey cow ( small and quiet ) as a pet though the owner would milk them by hand too and use milk for house

was on a pet farm a few weeks back with the Mrs and kids , how about a kerry cow ?, smaller again , one i saw would fit in a wardrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

A cow is for life, not just for Xmas.

Well said. The trouble with pets is that the novelty wears off and they then get neglected or discarded. Best thing for the heifer is to stay with the farmer who knows how to look after her. All her feed, health and social needs will be catered for until the day she goes up the ramp to the factory. A quick bolt in the head after a good life is much better than that which nature affords to most animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

If you have the land I dont see why not, you could look out for a nice hardy one that would live away out doors or you could buy a little heifer calf and hand rear her with a bit of meal and she be nice and quite for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

If it’s a freisen heifer, is she not destined for the milking parlor rather than an abattoir?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
                                If it’s a freisen heifer, is she not destined for the milking parlor rather than an abattoir?

That's what I'm wondering?

• Advertisement
                              • Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mad_maxx wrote: »
                                not unheard of in many countries to have a jersey cow ( small and quiet ) as a pet though the owner would milk them by hand too and use milk for house

was on a pet farm a few weeks back with the Mrs and kids , how about a kerry cow ?, smaller again , one i saw would fit in a wardrobe
                                But for a milking cow your into bulling amd calving down, more work, skill and facilities needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,256 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not trans, I should have said heifer :D Yes it is sounding increasingly mad. She's a fresian, are they always used for dairy or are some used for beef?

Used for milking bar the transgender ones. They go for beef.
                                The transgender ones won't go in calf and won't milk and think they are bulls.

Used for milking bar the transgender ones. They go for beef.
                                The transgender ones won't go in calf and won't milk and think they are bulls.

A transgender one sounds handy so :D

W

Feck it if she's going for milk, that's grand.

What does calving down mean?

It means giving birth to a young cow which is called a cowling.
                                Then it grows into a bullock and then finally at two years of age it becomes a cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Get a goat instead. Much easier to handle and can be milked.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

arctictree wrote: »
                                Get a goat instead. Much easier to handle and can be milked.

Its not really right to be suggesting, even in jest, that someone who doesn't know about what it takes to look after farm animals, and all that this entails in terms of care, fencing, overwintering and handling facilities, should contemplate keeping one (and on its own in fairness to the wellbeing of the animal).

Its not really right to be suggesting, even in jest, that someone who doesn't know about what it takes to look after farm animals, and all that this entails in terms of care, fencing, overwintering and handling facilities, should contemplate keeping one (and on its own in fairness to the wellbeing of the animal).

Let’s not overreact here.
                                OP states they have land and a number of horses.

So it’s very likely they know all about fencing and caring for animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I wouldn't recommend it OP.

Los of farmers have a "favorite" cow (or their kids do!) that ends up living on the farm forever with the herd, but keeping cows (you'd probably need 2) for no practical purpose is difficult and time consuming. Personally I don't find cows all that fun beyond giving them the odd pat, I think the novelty would fade.

Horses, which I have a lot of experience with, are far more fun, but if you are able to keep horses you will be able to learn how to keep a cow. In my (limited) experience cows would be something like a mentally disabled, dopey horse, far less character.

Maybe get some lambs?

• Advertisement
                              • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I don't think you could keep a single cow. Cows are social animals and like to have friends so she'd be quite lonely.

I wouldn't recommend it OP.

Los of farmers have a "favorite" cow (or their kids do!) that ends up living on the farm forever with the herd, but keeping cows (you'd probably need 2) for no practical purpose is difficult and time consuming. Personally I don't find cows all that fun beyond giving them the odd pat, I think the novelty would fade.

Horses, which I have a lot of experience with, are far more fun, but if you are able to keep horses you will be able to learn how to keep a cow. In my (limited) experience cows would be something like a mentally disabled, dopey horse, far less character.

Maybe get some lambs?

I think you know little of the character of cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

_Brian wrote: »
                                I think you know little of the character of cattle.
                                How would you describe the character of cattle in contrast to horses? I'm not saying cattle are bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How would you describe the character of cattle in contrast to horses? I'm not saying cattle are bad!

You're saying they're mentally disabled.

_Brian wrote: »
                                Let’s not overreact here.
                                OP states they have land and a number of horses.

So it’s very likely they know all about fencing and caring for animals.

I don't think I'm overreacting. The OP admitted that they don't know much about cattle. Its quite a stretch from patting an animal once in a while to keeping that animal for years on land with no current handling or overwintering facilities, no winter feed, no herd number, no knowledge of the veterinary care required etc.

JeffKenna wrote: »
                                You're saying they're mentally disabled.

No they said they're like a mentally disabled horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

No they said they're like a mentally disabled horse.

I've heard it all now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You could keep the cow on your plot while still being in the current farmers herd.
                                She could then be tested, dosed etc along with his other animals if nearby or if you have a trailer to move her.
                                There are official ways of doing this in compliance with department of agriculture rules as far as i know.

Cattle that get the same attention as horses or ponies receive have just as good character, exhibit the same range of interaction and ability to befriend humans.

Knocking something because you don’t understand it demonstrates limited capacity never mind dishing the animals 🙄

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
                                You could keep the cow on your plot while still being in the current farmers herd.
                                She could then be tested, dosed etc along with his other animals if nearby or if you have a trailer to move her.
                                There are official ways of doing this in compliance with department of agriculture rules as far as i know.

Or the OP could just buy the animal and pay for its upkeep, leave it in the farmers herd where it will be happy and looked after and visit it now and again!

This could be a thing you know. Sponsor a cow/calf/weanling/bullock/heifer scheme. Vegans welcomed.

Advertisement