Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News of the World - Tom Hanks & Paul Greengrass

Options
  • 08-10-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,358 ✭✭✭✭

Hanks and Greengrass reunite for a western.
    A widowed Civil War veteran agrees to deliver a girl, taken by the Kiowa people years ago, to her aunt and uncle, against her will. They travel hundreds of miles and face grave dangers as they search for a place that either can call home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oscar bait for Hanks and Helena Zengel who reminds me of Saoirse Ronan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can already smell the 3rd act a mile off; Hanks' character lies dying by a rock, having finally found some purpose or closure with his life through the surrogate fatherhood during the prior acts. Maybe a Last Stand so that the girl can escape, etcetera etcetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A bit like The Searchers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A more Official & longer trailer:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well I like Hanks generally, and Greengrass as well, so I'm looking forward to this.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I just love a good Western, so already looking forward to it on that basis alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Looks worth watching. May tick a few familiar boxes but the world needs Hanx and some hope.

Watched this enjoyable slow burner western on netflix earlier......anyone else see it?? Cant help but think Tom Hanks can do this kind of role with his eyes closed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Found it very meh. The title is awful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Tis true Hanks could do this with his eyes closed. There was a little of the compulsory Netflix identity politics preaching in it but overall I enjoyed it. The girl was good and has such a striking face. It was atmospheric of the times and the places. Not brilliant but not bad.

• Advertisement

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Tis true Hanks could do this with his eyes closed. There was a little of the compulsory Netflix identity politics preaching in it but overall I enjoyed it. The girl was good and has such a striking face. It was atmospheric of the times and the places. Not brilliant but not bad.

"Not brilliant but not bad" sums it up perfectly!!! Just an easy watch one friday night....nothing more or less

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Looks nice but bored me to be honest.

Advertisement