Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Éireann to scrap services Galway to Dub/Limerick/Shannon etc

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's a shame and I'm surprised the Government has allowed this to happen.

However Citylink is a vastly superior service and I would always pick them over Bus Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Surprised to see that the Galway to Shannon airport route is ceased too, I wonder if any private companies will pick up this route now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Morby wrote: »
    Surprised to see that the Galway to Shannon airport route is ceased too, I wonder if any private companies will pick up this route now?

There aren't enough flights in and out of Shannon to make it viable. Took the bus a few times when Ryanair was flying to Memmingen from Shannon. There were few passengers getting on or off at Shannon. Also it was always just a detour off the Galway - Cork route, making the journey for other passengers longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Kingp35 wrote: »
    However Citylink is a vastly superior service and I would always pick them over Bus Eireann.

CityLink (and GoBus) is superior if you want Dublin-Galway non-stop, but less so for the small towns and villages in between.

The Article seem to imply the express (51X) is to close, the 51 is not mentioned and the RTÉ story specifically states "Non-express services between the two cities are continuing."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Im not surprised. I was in Shannon airport a few weeks ago. It was deserted, fairly shocking for an airport terminal that size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Im not surprised. I was in Shannon airport a few weeks ago. It was deserted, fairly shocking for an airport terminal that size.

How could it be any other way with flights to Portugan Spain and the Canary islands and of course the US suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It's a shame and I'm surprised the Government has allowed this to happen.

Contradiction much!

Realistically state owned operators should only be on routes where private sector operators cannot operate successfully. There's no need for BE on Galway to Dublin express.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

How many people are allowed on a bus now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

It'd be great to have a train spur from Sixmilebridge to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Greaney wrote: »
    It'd be great to have a train spur from Sixmilebridge to Shannon.

Not likely to happen, aside from the Luas, neither CIE or Irish Rail have ever laid down new tracks on land that's never had a railway before. All routes are based on lines built by the Victorian regional railway companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

CityLink (and GoBus) is superior if you want Dublin-Galway non-stop, but less so for the small towns and villages in between.

The Article seem to imply the express (51X) is to close, the 51 is not mentioned and the RTÉ story specifically states "Non-express services between the two cities are continuing."

Weren't Gobus and Bus Eireann in some kind of partnership? No sign of Gobus Back (it's a pity, it was my preferred service).
    If Citylink is the only service, the price will go up if there's no competition. The Citylink out to Connemara towns is comparable to the Dublin route price wise for a much shorter distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

inisboffin wrote: »
    Weren't Gobus and Bus Eireann in some kind of partnership? No sign of Gobus Back (it's a pity, it was my preferred service).
    If Citylink is the only service, the price will go up if there's no competition. The Citylink out to Connemara towns is comparable to the Dublin route price wise for a much shorter distance.

GoBus have started back but they don't do a Shannon route, unfortunately.

The problem I always had with the Galway to Shannon Bus Eireann airport route was that it left Galway too late for most morning flights. Was easier to travel to further to Dublin airport as you could get a bus to get you there in time for any flight.

It was a pity Citylink stopped doing the Shannon airport route, I remember traveling through Shannon a lot when they still did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title updated, it's not just Galway Dublin affected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Chiparus wrote:

Not sure but on citylink and go recently there were many seats available.

Chiparus wrote: »

One for every 2 seats.

So 26 on a 52 seater including the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This is disappointing really. I don't know where to start. So we a closing down roads locally to traffic and talking about closing bridges to cars to force people onto busses but we are reducing public transport between Galway and the rest of the county which forces people in cars.

No joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This is disappointing really. I don't know where to start. So we a closing down roads locally to traffic and talking about closing bridges to cars to force people onto busses but we are reducing public transport between Galway and the rest of the county which forces people in cars.

No joined up thinking.

Please change your user name! :D
    Is your motto not "Greed is Good"?

So we a closing down roads locally to traffic and talking about closing bridges to cars to force people onto busses but we are reducing public transport between Galway and the rest of the county which forces people in cars.
    If it is any consolation - media reports say the bus drivers who operated the Expressway Services are to be employed on the Buseireann City Bus Services instead. The reason that the Salmon Weir bridge is been turned into a bus gate is so that the City Bus Services will operate more efficiently and hence more reliable times as per the timetable.

If it is any consolation - media reports say the bus drivers who operated the Expressway Services are to be employed on the Buseireann City Bus Services instead. The reason that the Salmon Weir bridge is been turned into a bus gate is so that the City Bus Services will operate more efficiently and hence more reliable times as per the timetable.

But if you can't get to the local bus service due to the cut backs in the national service you will just drive which will add to the congestions on what will be fewer roads. It's madness and this is being done under the green party watch. All they want to do is increase taxes under the guise of green initiatives. Here is something they should be going mad over and not a peep out of any of them.

• Advertisement

But if you can't get to the local bus service due to the cut backs in the national service you will just drive which will add to the congestions on what will be fewer roads. It's madness and this is being done under the green party watch. All they want to do is increase taxes under the guise of green initiatives. Here is something they should be going mad over and not a peep out of any of them.

This whole announcement is a piece of politics by BÈ / CIE.

The actual service changes will be quite different im sure.

And you can get your Shannon by bus: Galway to Limerick first, and then there's a very regular local Limerick to Shannon bus.

But if you can't get to the local bus service due to the cut backs in the national service you will just drive which will add to the congestions on what will be fewer roads.

:D
    What are you talking about?

:D
    What are talking about?

If public transport from Limerick to Galway is not avaliable, visitors are more likely to just hire a cat in Limerick and use it for the duration of their visit.

If public transport from Limerick to Galway is not avaliable, visitors are more likely to just hire a cat in Limerick and use it for the duration of their visit.

But there are "PRIVATE" transport services available and a train service?
    gordongekko is complaining about PUBLIC bus services been cut - but then complaining about taxes. One would think with a user name like gordongekko they would want the whole system to be private?;)

But there are "PRIVATE" transport services available and a train service?
    gordongekko is complaining about PUBLIC bus services been cut - but then complaining about taxes. One would think with a user name like gordongekko they would want the whole system to be private?;)

Eh?

There is no train with a country mile of Shannon airport. And there is no privately owned bus that comes to Galway, since Citylink stopped going there.

Eh?

There is no train with a country mile of Shannon airport. And there is no privately owned bus that comes to Galway, since Citylink stopped going there.
    And you can get your Shannon by bus: Galway to Limerick first via train, and then there's a very regular local Limerick to Shannon bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

When is that happening?

bobbyss wrote: »
    When is that happening?

Proposed for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And you can get your Shannon by bus: Galway to Limerick first via train, and then there's a very regular local Limerick to Shannon bus.

Or get the Bus from Ennis to Shannon Airport.

• Advertisement

The reality is people will just drive

Advertisement