Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17

• 10-05-2020 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

For anyone the uses the N17, they have now downgraded the speed limit from Ballinacarrow ALL the way to Tubbercurry on the main N17 road.

This includes both straight stretches either side of the old Woodside Inn.

New Speed Signs are in place but it's very easy presume it's 100 as it's been that for 20+ years so will be a huge change when the restrictions lift.
    (New speed van location at Achonry too)

If they police it, they will generate huge revenue as nearly every car travels above 80k on this section. Just a heads up to anyone that will be using this once the restrictions are lifted.

They have also downgraded the speed from Tubber to Curry to 80k as well (2 straights on this section are now 80k with new speed zone location).

I know high enforcement will be required to get drivers to adjust their speed but unlightly. (Potential chance to make a lot of money too if they are genuinely serious about catching the speeders)

Stay Safe & just a heads up....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Yeah and on Saturday I saw how the frustration of this limit contributed to a close call. It's not the greatest stretch for overtaking although there are a couple of spots. Driver in front was frustrated at the person doing the now normal limit as was I and ended up taking a chance, toss of a coin scenario. I had to wait and thankfully the person went into T/Curry town. I wonder if there is an increase in collisions will they change again or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I suspect there will be a lot of frustration on this road leading to a lot more chances taken & in turn more accidents.
    Unless there is a huge public outcry demanding the reinstating of the normal limit, it wont happen.
    Usually once they change they don't reverse the decision esp if they get any bit of support from the few drivers that do drive at 50 everywhere.

I would have accepted lowering the limit IF they had an alternative road available. Maybe this will put pressure to get the Tubber bypass moving??
    (I know Wishful thinking)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Horrible stretch of road usally get stuck behind someone crawling very few safe overtaking spots then a nordie comes from 5 cars back on a blind bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

BronsonTB wrote: »
    They have also downgraded the speed from Tubber to Curry to 80k as well (2 straights on this section are now 80k with new speed zone location).
    This. I highlighted it previously on the Sligo general chat thread. I'm not familiar with the Ballinacarrow stretch, but the Tubber-Curry section is maddening. I really don't understand it.
    I would have accepted lowering the limit IF they had an alternative road available. Maybe this will put pressure to get the Tubber bypass moving??
    Even if they did get it moving it'll be at least another 10 years before it'd be open.

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Even if they did get it moving it'll be at least another 10 years before it'd be open.

It's more the hope of seeing it being started.....(light at end of tunnel stuff etc)

I think changing the limit is political to be seen to do something in relation to the number of accidents. They lowered the limit rather than sort the bad drivers (easier implement & can be seen instantly by the voters).

It'll be interesting to see if it'll be heavily enforced or just a box ticking exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Vast sections of the N17 should never have been 100km/h, and that stretch is definitely included in that.
    Its more of a legacy issue with a lot of Irish roads and that section of road is indicative of what the main national routes would have been like 30-40 years ago.

Definitely the right move to reduce the speed limit.
    The main problem now will be those that chose to drive at 75% of that "Just to be safe".

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Looks like the planned upgrade to the N17, is too be put on the very long finger as the new programme for government pledges 2:1 spending on public transport over road. The council could have pushed the button on an upgrade back in nine nine or so and for reasons unknown failed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

I suspect there will be a lot of frustration on this road leading to a lot more chances taken & in turn more accidents.
    Unless there is a huge public outcry demanding the reinstating of the normal limit, it wont happen.
    Usually once they change they don't reverse the decision esp if they get any bit of support from the few drivers that do drive at 50 everywhere.

Been on it 4 times in 2 weeks and seen 2 near misses both Nordies overtaking from way back shocking stretch of main N road from Ballinacarrow to Tubber.

With traffic volumes back to normal, you either get a straight run on this road now or else stuck behind a line of traffic behind the 1 driver that goes excessively below the limit (60k ish)

Anyone know when the Caltragh to Finishklin road is due to open?
    (Can't be too far away but dragging their heels finishing)

Alot of roadworks around Sligo at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭prodsc

Oct 16th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Whats the road works about heading for the Bundoran rd?
    Passed thru there a few weeks ago and major backups up onto carriageway!
    Are they still at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Triboro wrote: »
    Whats the road works about heading for the Bundoran rd?
    Passed thru there a few weeks ago and major backups up onto carriageway!
    Are they still at it?

Yes, unfortunately it will probably last into the new year.

They are also going to be resurfacing a 3km stretch where the road is bad at Henrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

T-Bird wrote: »

They are also going to be resurfacing a 3km stretch where the road is bad at Henrys.
    Saw them out surveying the road yesterday. A new surface is badly needed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That'll be no harm. You can see the effects of centrifugal force at the apex of every bend.

I heard they're also doing away with the overtaking lane coming out of Grange and turning it it into a "right turn only" lane.. No joke turning right along there on a Friday evening. If that;s what's happening I can see it creating a bottleneck in the village at times.

New website on info for the knock to Collooney proposed routes. www.n17knockcollooney.ie
    Expect it to be a very long long time away.....but at least the current status can be seen.
    Also allows for feedback for the routes

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

sligojoek wrote: »

I heard they're also doing away with the overtaking lane coming out of Grange and turning it it into a "right turn only" lane.. No joke turning right along there on a Friday evening. If that;s what's happening I can see it creating a bottleneck in the village at times.

One local Independent councillor called for that, but dont think gained any traction.

prodsc wrote: »

Oct 16th

I don't think they'll make this timeframe, lol....looks like a few weeks still left...(Partial resurfacing going on today (15th)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭prodsc

I don't think they'll make this timeframe, lol....looks like a few weeks still left...(Partial resurfacing going on today (15th)

Yeah..looks like there is a good bit to do yet (at the Caltragh end at least). Just had a look today.

prodsc wrote: »
    Yeah..looks like there is a good bit to do yet (at the Caltragh end at least). Just had a look today.

I was looking at the co co website for an update to western corridor road but didn't see anything very recent. Everything prob has been pushed due to covid.

Western Distributor Road: updated 16th October 2020

Continuing for the next 3 weeks, construction traffic will be crossing the realigned Oakfield Road at the new Maugheraboy Roundabout. Traffic management will be in operation. All road users are advised to exercise due care and attention when passing through this area.

For the coming 2 weeks, a traffic management system will remain in place along the northbound on-ramp at Caltragh Interchange. During this period the northbound on-ramp hard-shoulder will be coned off, however the main carriageway will remain operational. No delays anticipated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

New website on info for the knock to Collooney proposed routes. www.n17knockcollooney.ie
    Expect it to be a very long long time away.....but at least the current status can be seen.
    Also allows for feedback for the routes

A neighbour said to have a look at this because one of the routes would require my house to be demolished. You'd think they would have written to any households possibly affected before sticking it up online. I don't particularly care but it might give some people a bit of a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

A neighbour said to have a look at this because one of the routes would require my house to be demolished. You'd think they would have written to any households possibly affected before sticking it up online. I don't particularly care but it might give some people a bit of a fright.
    why would they though at the minute these are just multiple options for the road. it would make no sense to say write to maybe a few thousand when they select the route and only a couple of hundred actually have something to be concerned about.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    why would they though at the minute these are just multiple options for the road. it would make no sense to say write to maybe a few thousand when they select the route and only a couple of hundred actually have something to be concerned about.

Well it's a fairly serious thing that could potentially happen. I don't think it's too onerous a task for such a project to keep people potentially affected informed. It could potentially affect property value too I'm sure, sway potential buyers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Well it's a fairly serious thing that could potentially happen. I don't think it's too onerous a task for such a project to keep people potentially affected informed. It could potentially affect property value too I'm sure, sway potential buyers etc.
    Theres a website, spreads in several local papers with all the details and im pretty sure ive heard adds on the radio about it too.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Theres a website, spreads in several local papers with all the details and im pretty sure ive heard adds on the radio about it too.

Well I suppose then my experience shows that that doesn't always work! I'm not too bothered but just think a letter isn't too much of an ask, probably cheaper than those media ads too.

Deadline for submissions by the public on the proposed routes extended to Jan 21.

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2020/11/02/call-for-more-discussion-on-new-proposals-for-n17-route/

Is there any updates on the Western Distributor Road,must be almost finished surely?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Is there any updates on the Western Distributor Road,must be almost finished surely?

Nope, dragging their heels as much as they can....Looks to be a good while off yet too....

Whoever is managing & controlling these various road projects in Sligo is doing an appalling job...It looks like it's different people with no central control.
    Don't mind having patience when the work is being managed well taking into account people using the roads daily...But they just don't give a flying fiddlers about the public...

Nope, dragging their heels as much as they can....Looks to be a good while off yet too....

Whoever is managing & controlling these various road projects in Sligo is doing an appalling job...It looks like it's different people with no central control.
    Don't mind having patience when the work is being managed well taking into account people using the roads daily...But they just don't give a flying fiddlers about the public...

I wonder if they are stretching it out until the one at the Ballast Quay is fine. But that would require good planning and for thought, which seems very unlikely..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I wonder if they are stretching it out until the one at the Ballast Quay is fine. But that would require good planning and for thought, which seems very unlikely..

good point. It's bad enough there now without unleashing more traffic to that bottleneck.

Advertisement