Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rice Krispie bun recipe?

Options
  • 05-10-2020 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Anyone know ideally how many large bars of chocolate should be used in a rice krispie bun recipe?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never measured. It would depend on how many buns you want really. I usually melt a large bar and keep adding rice krispies until there's no longer a pool of chocolate in the bottom of the bowl and the coverage looks like I won't get away with adding any more krispies.

I got curious and googled, and found this on the Ballymaloe Cookery School site, of all places.

Makes approximately 48 mini cakes or 12 – 15 large muffin size

100g (3 ½ oz) milk chocolate
    75g (3oz) Kellogs Rice Krispies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

,,,, adds Rice Crispies to the next shopping list... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

If you melt a couple of treat size mars bars into the chocolate it makes them less liable to break into bits while eating them. Or a couple of tablespoons of golden syrup if you dont have bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

I used to use Kelloggs but found with Tesco rice snaps at a fraction of the price no real taste difference. Same way as Dizzy when I make them. I sometimes spread them out when covered in milk chocolate in a lined shallow tray and pour dark chocolate on the top, when nearly fully set cut into squares.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

fineso.mom wrote: »
    If you melt a couple of treat size mars bars into the chocolate it makes them less liable to break into bits while eating them. Or a couple of tablespoons of golden syrup if you dont have bars.

NOOOOO.
    This messes with their crunchy beauty.
    Your rice crispie buns will only break into bits and mot stick together properly if you have been mean on the chocolate and added too much rice crispie mix. Go slow, mix them in as you pour and don’t gush in too many or you will have to melt more
    chocolate and be left with a scrambled chunky expensive mess.

** Also never use dark chocolate :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

Don't knock it till you try it :) I do both types as my OH only likes milk chocolate.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

con747 wrote: »
    Don't knock it till you try it :) I do both types as my OH only likes milk chocolate.

oh awful - only use milk chocolate no ugly sister substitutes!!!

Way back I used to make a variety of tiffin that used only chocolate and ?? crushed biscuits.. and I think one other thing. Just cannot get my perforated old age memory to GIVE! It was very easy, and I could use the gingernuts that are smiling at me....

Not the tiffin recipes I see online with syrup and butter etc

Hey would malted wheats do? ie supervalu shreddies?

We all deserve/ need really good treats just now. I have plenty of CDM..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

NOOOOO.
    This messes with their crunchy beauty.
    Your rice crispie buns will only break into bits and mot stick together properly if you have been mean on the chocolate and added too much rice crispie mix. Go slow, mix them in as you pour and don’t gush in too many or you will have to melt more
    chocolate and be left with a scrambled chunky expensive mess.

** Also never use dark chocolate :(
    :-) Sorry, I should have clarified. I only add the mars bars if the buns are for little children. Just chocolate and crispies for everyone else.
    There used to be a Cadbury's tiffin bar Graces7, I think it was chocolate, biscuit pieces and dried fruit such as raisins or sultanas, but I'm not sure. There are so many recipes now for various types of chocolate biscuit cake, and I've made many, but sometimes it's lovely to have the basic biscuit/chocolate combination.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    :-) Sorry, I should have clarified. I only add the mars bars if the buns are for little children. Just chocolate and crispies for everyone else.
    There used to be a Cadbury's tiffin bar Graces7, I think it was chocolate, biscuit pieces and dried fruit such as raisins or sultanas, but I'm not sure. There are so many recipes now for various types of chocolate biscuit cake, and I've made many, but sometimes it's lovely to have the basic biscuit/chocolate combination.

Yes I knew re the Cadburys bar but never liked it.

Just wish I could remember the version I used to make but maybe my inboard computer will suddenly …

Just wrecked my bad shoulder lifting a sack of coal so just chocolate today.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement