Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

killalee Garyowen

Options
  • 04-10-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭

obviously Garyowen isnt an especially desirable location to put it mildly but anyone familiar with this area ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Icbaby

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    obviously Garyowen isnt an especially desirable location to put it mildly but anyone familiar with this area ?

Same as many social housing estates, some amazing people, some absolute scuts! A lot of people in garryowen own their houses or have been brought up there therefore don’t move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It's one of the older estates in Limk? I've only ever met nice people from Garryowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Granadino wrote: »
    It's one of the older estates in Limk? I've only ever met nice people from Garryowen.

ive no doubt , was more wondering what killalee ( downey st to be exact ) was like in terms of tidyness etc ?, looks ok from google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Very settled estate, lots of the houses privately owned but with a lot still rented out both via Council and Privately.

Advantages close to town, walkable to a huge swathe of the city, parkway and Childers road.
    Long established neighbourhood.

Disadvantages: being originally from Balla ;) I'd be tarring it with the same brush.
    My advice, drive around the area a few times at least in the evening particularly this time of year.
    What are the fireworks and kids like?
    Will speak a lot to how "livable" the area will be for you.

banie01 wrote: »
    Very settled estate, lots of the houses privately owned but with a lot still rented out both via Council and Privately.

Advantages close to town, walkable to a huge swathe of the city, parkway and Childers road.

Disadvantages: being originally from Balla ;) I'd be tarring it with the same brush.
    My advice, drive around the area a few times at least in the evening particularly this time of year.

how would it compare to sarsfield avenue ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

banie01 wrote: »

Good idea checking out the place at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

how would it compare to sarsfield avenue ?

The couple of hundred metres means nothing in terms of the area other than slightly younger houses.
    You're asking broad and very generic questions about a part of Limerick that everyone outside of that particular area generally sees as "one".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Google anti social behaviour Garryowen and animal abuse Garryowen

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

bigpink wrote: »
    Google anti social behaviour Garryowen and animal abuse Garryowen

Google anti social behaviour Limerick and animal abuse Limerick :confused:

sale agreed anyway so thats it over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

In terms of property investment the general area is becoming gentrified like, say, Stoneybatter in Dublin. New people moving in, steady demand for houses, increasing prices. Anti social activity is not a major problem, at least not in comparison to St. Mary's Park and parts of Southill. Kilalee and Garryowen are separate districts but my comments apply to both.

Google anti social behaviour Limerick and animal abuse Limerick :confused:

They asked about Garryowen where there is problem areas

chicorytip wrote: »
    In terms of property investment the general area is becoming gentrified like, say, Stoneybatter in Dublin. New people moving in, steady demand for houses, increasing prices. Anti social activity is not a major problem, at least not in comparison to St. Mary's Park and parts of Southill. Kilalee and Garryowen are separate districts but my comments apply to both.

stoneybatter is near thoroughly middle class now and has been gentrifying for more than twenty years , its the hipster capital of dublin in many ways

a more accurate comparison perhaps might be somewhere like inchicore which is still predominantly working class but becoming more middle class

im also considering rossbrien by the way , donnellans buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Icbaby

stoneybatter is near thoroughly middle class now and has been gentrifying for more than twenty years , its the hipster capital of dublin in many ways

a more accurate comparison perhaps might be somewhere like inchicore which is still predominantly working class but becoming more middle class

im also considering rossbrien by the way , donnellans buildings
    A friend sold a house in donnellan buildings last year, she loved it and only moved because she needed bigger. I asked her once there ever trouble up there etc and she said never once in her 12 years there did she have problems and there is always guards in and out checking.

Icbaby wrote: »
    A friend sold a house in donnellan buildings last year, she loved it and only moved because she needed bigger. I asked her once there ever trouble up there etc and she said never once in her 12 years there did she have problems and there is always guards in and out checking.

fiances granny lives in rossbrien , she views it as undesirable but not terrible

fiances granny lives in rossbrien , she views it as undesirable but not terrible

Rossbrien would be the area by Old Cresent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Rossbrien would be the area by Old Cresent?

Rossbrien road starts just off Edward Street, so maybe that's where she is living

how might Kilmurry court Garryowen compare to the likes of the Lee estate on kings island ?

house prices are very similar

always heard the Lee estate was a good bit better than assumpta park and obviously St Marys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

how might Kilmurry court Garryowen compare to the likes of the Lee estate on kings island ?

always heard the Lee estate was a good bit better than assumpta park and obviously St Marys

Born and breed in Kilmurry court, was an amazing place to grow up, it has gone down hill as all the original families bar 1 are now gone from there, has a few issues, don't think it's anything out of the ordinary though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wouldn't say Lee Estate is a good bit better and honestly prefer Assumpta Park myself, except for the part that runs from the Island Road and goes down by Star Rovers pitch.

Like most places Lee Estate is gonna depend on who your neighbors are. There's one stretch of area I'd avoid though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

A good few scumbags moved in in recent years.

Wouldn't say Lee Estate is a good bit better and honestly prefer Assumpta Park myself, except for the part that runs from the Island Road and goes down by Star Rovers pitch.

Like most places Lee Estate is gonna depend on who your neighbors are. There's one stretch of area I'd avoid though.

i sure got that wrong , was down in Lee estate a few days ago , while not St Marys park , its below assumpta for sure

Always thought the Lee estate was a good spot?

i sure got that wrong , was down in Lee estate a few days ago , while not St Marys park , its below assumpta for sure

Yeah I'm not sure who lives in Lee Estate now days, it used to have families that were settled there for years but perhaps some moved out. Think overall it's probably quietish, definitely quieter than St Mary's but you'll get a lot of teens hanging around and undesirables in the area given people cut through Lee Estate to use the bank.

As I said there's one block that is best avoided, if the house on daft was the one you were looking at then it's the block of houses across the road as you're heading up towards the main road.

Assumpta is a very settled area, think nearly everyone there has been their awhile except one or two, and some of the younger people in their own houses would have grown up in the area. Would probably be the only area in Kings Island I'd consider if I left St Mary's Park.

Given the drugs problem in St Mary's Park has gotten way worse (thank you regeneration), some of it has spilled over to Lee Estate. It's not a bad area, but you get the drug addicts hanging around there at times waiting and probably trying to sell you stuff for drug money.

oh i saw nothing in the way of anti social behaviour , i just mean i prefer the look of Assumpta , LEE estate is a bit gloomy looking in my opinion , its not untidy or anything just a bit too tucked away and barren

Yeah I'm not sure who lives in Lee Estate now days, it used to have families that were settled there for years but perhaps some moved out. Think overall it's probably quietish, definitely quieter than St Mary's but you'll get a lot of teens hanging around and undesirables in the area given people cut through Lee Estate to use the bank.

As I said there's one block that is best avoided, if the house on daft was the one you were looking at then it's the block of houses across the road as you're heading up towards the main road.

Assumpta is a very settled area, think nearly everyone there has been their awhile except one or two, and some of the younger people in their own houses would have grown up in the area. Would probably be the only area in Kings Island I'd consider if I left St Mary's Park.

i kind of like island view terrace the best on the island ( on that side of the castle ) , i like terraced houses like that which have a red brick exterior

Is that house on daft for 120k part of the block you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Fair play to you for wanting to get on the property ladder, it's probably one of the top 3 decisions you will make in your life and you need to weigh up all the options, pros and cons.

Is it going to be your forever home or a stepping stone? Do you really have to live in the city if so you could get a really nice penthouse apartment in the city for not too far off the price of those houses and potentially with a lot less risks of anti social behaviour.

Do you have kids? Are you planning to have kids if so what are the schools in the area like?

Always remember aswell that people are sheep and judge people based on their address and some employers vet people based on address also stupid I know but they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

i kind of like island view terrace the best on the island ( on that side of the castle ) , i like terraced houses like that which have a red brick exterior

Those are attractive looking houses but hard to heat and quite dark inside. It is a main gateway for pedestrians travelling to and from St. Mary's Park. Also, that particular area is at risk from flooding. You might remember the severe rainstorm in 2014, I think it was, which caused the river to burst it's banks and left the entire Island inundated, under three feet of water. I think the council have since constructed flood barriers along sections of the river bank.

• Advertisement

No that houses number is 50 Lee Estate I think, that block is actually decent I think. I know the lady whose next door and she's nice. The block I'd avoid would be number 10 Lee Estate. And it's mainly because there's a couple of family's who are very close, and if you fall out with one the others will automatically take their side. Other than that it's grand, apart from looking gloomy as you said and I've always thought that myself when passing through.

I hate Island View Terrace, the houses are so poorly laid out and the back gardens are small. Think my back garden alone is bigger than those houses. Plus if you've got a car then that street is a nightmare for parking.

Advertisement