Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genshin Impact

• 05-08-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Sony recently had a few new titles announced at China's new Gaming Expo (China Joy). One of which is a new IP called Genshin Impact, which seems to be heavily Inspired by Zelda Breathe of the wild. While Genshin Impact seems to be borderline plagiarizing in most parts , what seems to stand out is the animation and combat which looks amazing and fluid . Looks quite Promising as the only other Chinese base developer I know of are Thatgamecompany who created Journey and Flower. Looks very promising :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I do like the look of that, but I'm not sold on the party swap mechanics. I was never a big fan of them, but I'd be willing to give it a go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only a matter of time before we see some good original stuff come out of china. They've plenty of sweat shop developers over there with extremely talented staff who should break out into their own development studios.

Just hope they tone down on the Winnie the pooh memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just hope they tone down on the Winnie the pooh memes.

Oh bother...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This is not just PS4 , the thread title might be a bit misleading.
    Im playing away on PC, fun game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Dcully wrote: »
    This is not just PS4 , the thread title might be a bit misleading.
    Im playing away on PC, fun game so far.

I made this thread a year ago and the only information about the game at the time was that it was coming to Playstation 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A mate linked me to this video yesterday, colour me intrigued...

The gacha-game mechanics would make me wary but it's so god damn pretty I may give it a shot on the PC just to see it in motion.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before we see some good original stuff come out of china. They've plenty of sweat shop developers over there with extremely talented staff who should break out into their own development studios.
    Aye, Black Myth Wu Kong and Naraka: Bladepoint are definitely ticking a lot of my boxes right now. Definitely going to be interesting to see what happens when the outsourcing studios start making their own content for international audiences.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm interested in this but considering it's a free to play game, what content is locked if you don't spend money?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thread title edited as requested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

As TPP said, mainly its for unlocking new characters and getting better weapons (and based off my 5 10-pulls, you get a LOT more of the latter).

There are challenges in game called Ley Line Blossoms, Abyssal Domains and some bosses, that you need to use a refilling currency to extract the reward from eg you trigger a Blossom in the open world, fight the monsters and then have to pay 20 resin to "open" the flower that spawns. This is kinda like most F2P mobile stamina systems; it replenishes slowly over time but you can obtain (or pay for) items to refill the meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 BigGpu380

Honestly I think it looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

It is an 11.97 GB download but it's quite slow...3 hours for me on a fast connection.

LOL i played too much of this lastnight, its really very good.
    I didnt think id like it as aesthetically the cutesy anime characters with squeeky voices is not my thing but you soon forget that when your out in the world fighting mobs.
    Combat is just phenomenal easily the best ive ever played.
    I like the way you swap characters with different abilities and elements on the fly,it really is exceptional.
    This is an AAA game , incredible animations and polish.
    Yes its free to play and touted as a gotcha game but its not that intrusive at all and seems more generous than any F2P ive played.
    I will continue to play for a while, not sure if it will keep me coming back for more longterm but its a blast to play.
    Between this and Hades im sorted for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gizmo wrote: »
    A mate linked me to this video yesterday, colour me intrigued...

The gacha-game mechanics would make me wary but it's so god damn pretty I may give it a shot on the PC just to see it in motion.

Aye, Black Myth Wu Kong and Naraka: Bladepoint are definitely ticking a lot of my boxes right now. Definitely going to be interesting to see what happens when the outsourcing studios start making their own content for international audiences.

Relevant:
    When Do You Hit The ‘Genshin Impact’ Paywall?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Looks great and based on the feedback here I just installed it.....Aaaand you can't remap the keyboard controls? FFS what is it with Asian developers and anything other than a console-controller. Fkn ridiculous, uninstalled.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

This is only really an issue if you get to the stage where the author of that article is which is a hell of a lot of play hours to start with and then if you want to keep progressing while playing many hours each and every day.
    You can still play a few hours per day using the Resin you have built up while offline to fuel the resin specific targets/mobs/missions, then you also have daily quests and and massive world to farm mobs and xp, there is also random world quests.

The only issue i forsee is if you want to play many hours every day + want to progress faster while doing so but for your average gamer its not going to be an issue.

The catch is if you become so into it that your addicted and indeed have the time and urge to put in many hours every day then you might find the urge to pay to fuel more resin.
    This is what the devs are banking on, the game is insanely popular right now so if they only get a small percentage wanting to spend some money they will do very well.

From my perspective its the most generous F2P game ive ever played, im really enjoying the game, its actually a blast to play but even if i wanted to get to the stage of wanting to spend some money i dont have the time that would justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Been playing this over the weekend and enjoyed it a lot. I'd recommend it if you can resit the power of Gacha since apparently its rates are awful if your looking to get a specific character.

Playing on PS4 but probably would have went with PC if I had realized I was goging to enjoy this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This is only really an issue if you get to the stage where the author of that article is which is a hell of a lot of play hours to start with and then if you want to keep progressing while playing many hours each and every day.
    You can still play a few hours per day using the Resin you have built up while offline to fuel the resin specific targets/mobs/missions, then you also have daily quests and and massive world to farm mobs and xp, there is also random world quests.

The only issue i forsee is if you want to play many hours every day + want to progress faster while doing so but for your average gamer its not going to be an issue.

The catch is if you become so into it that your addicted and indeed have the time and urge to put in many hours every day then you might find the urge to pay to fuel more resin.
    This is what the devs are banking on, the game is insanely popular right now so if they only get a small percentage wanting to spend some money they will do very well.

From my perspective its the most generous F2P game ive ever played, im really enjoying the game, its actually a blast to play but even if i wanted to get to the stage of wanting to spend some money i dont have the time that would justify it.
    I think you misread it, as the author was very positive on the paywall/grinding (or rather its absence).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I think you misread it, as the author was very positive on the paywall/grinding (or rather its absence).

No i didnt misread at all, i was just informing those who may not have played to not be put off.

The author did however mention the resin system, im merely pointing out unless your 6+ hours a day hardcore you never notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

No i didnt misread at all, i was just informing those who may not have played to not be put off.

The author did however mention the resin system, im merely pointing out unless your 6+ hours a day hardcore you never notice it.

You can use all the resin you get for a day in 30 minutes, an hour tops. It's 3-4 boss fights a day that take ~10 minutes maximum or 6-8 mini dungeons which take less than 5 mins

• Advertisement

Have you spent any money so far? Is there distinct pay walls? I'm very wary of f2p. Mobile gaming has already been ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm not into the Anime/Weeb scene whatsoever, but I do like the look of this game overall. I have zero interest in the story or characters ... is it still worth checking out? I love me a good free roaming adventure game, love game like the Zelda series [which I see this being compared to] - love upgrading in game gear, fighting bosses etc ... just really do not like the OTT 'cutsey' factor of a lot of these Cinese/Japanese games - but it is free, maybe I'll give it a chance for the graphics alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's free so you have nothing to lose except your time but you will know fairly soon whether it's for you or not.

Aye, downloading, will give anything a shot one time at least. I feel like it's going to confuse the sheet out of me but we'll see :D

Advertisement