Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying NEW fridge freezer... go Frost Free or not?

Options
  • 04-10-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hi. Are looking to but a 60/40 Fridge freezer and now have to make the choice of frost free or not!! It was there when I bought my current fridge 15 years ago!!!

There is a few quid difference in going frost free..... is it worth it???

Am looking a going that way as defrosting the ice in my current freezer twice a year is a pain in the butt!! So it could save me a job!!

Would ye recommend the frost free option???
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

oooo - I had this exact quandry at the start of this year! My old one had the frost free but I never ever used it!! Nor the fancy quick defrost top section function. But I liked the idea of it! BUt what they don’t tell
    you in shops unless you check is that almost all of the new frost free frezzers are HALF the size of the non frost free ones - the technology takes up a shocking amount of the drawer space! Its barely worth your while having a freezer! So DEFINATELY NOT Frost free. And make sure you see the freezer drawers before you buy anything! The models that are not frost free look totally different inside and have about 3/4 MORE USEABLE drawer space!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

oooo - I had this exact quandry at the start of this year! My old one had the frost free but I never ever used it!! Nor the fancy quick defrost top section function. But I liked the idea of it! BUt what they don’t tell
    you in shops unless you check is that almost all of the new frost free frezzers are HALF the size of the non frost free ones - the technology takes up a shocking amount of the drawer space! Its barely worth your while having a freezer! So DEFINATELY NOT Frost free. And make sure you see the freezer drawers before you buy anything! The models that are not frost free look totally different inside and have about 3/4 MORE USEABLE drawer space!!

Ya... we were window shopping yesterday and that’s the first think my wife said “those drawers won’t even hold a big bag of frozen chips”!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Masala wrote: »
    Ya... we were window shopping yesterday and that’s the first think my wife said “those drawers won’t even hold a big bag of frozen chips”!

Yes ! Exactly! Or the large tubs of square icecream Or a regular pizza - even if you saw it in half and try to stack them. You’ll be choosing between icecubes for your cold beers and vodkas or chips for everyone for dinner. Shocking stuff! And most sales guys don’t know or don’t care! !!! Buyer beware!

Advertisement