Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Marius34 wrote: »
    1) If that would be a case, it made a great job, as it appears vacancy has reduced between 2011 and 2016
    2) This has nothing todo with reality, made up story, as you would not find out that there are tens of thousands of vacant properties owned by funds. If that would be a case Sinn Fein, would work really really hard to prove it.

They purchased €200 billion of property and business loans between 2012 and 2016. To put that figure into perspective, Ireland's GNP was €260 billion in 2019.

They're a massive influence on the property market in Ireland and I'm amazed that outside of one documentary on RTE in 2017, the Irish media haven't appeared to look into this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

schmittel wrote: »
    I agree cheap money (combined with various govt policies) means it is more attractive for some property owners to leave houses vacant.

What grinds my gears is we cannot get around to discussing how we might be able to reduce the number of vacancies because so many people say, “that’s nonsense, there are no vacancies, the CSO doesn’t know its arse from its elbow, Fingal Co Co told me so”

Meanwhile these are often the same people most likely to wail about a shortage!

Even Uncle Leo dismissed the CSO figures. The clerical officer who did a desktop exercise was correct.

Fingal did not like the numbers and created what in essence is fake news.

Then we get posters here advising you to inform.yourself by reading the fake news....because that is what it is ..fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

They purchased €200 billion of property and business loans between 2012 and 2016. To put that figure into perspective, Ireland's GNP was €260 billion in 2019.

They're a massive influence on the property market in Ireland and I'm amazed that outside of one documentary on RTE in 2017, the Irish media haven't appeared to look into this at all.

That could be right, if there is that kind of information. I'm not arguing, about who purchase what.
    But massive vacancy of those properties are clearly made up story by you, that you won't find that kind of information.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭hometruths

Pelezico wrote: »
    Even Uncle Leo dismissed the CSO figures. The clerical officer who did a desktop exercise was correct.

Fingal did not like the numbers and created what in essence is fake news.

Then we get posters here advising you to inform.yourself by reading the fake news....because that is what it is ..fake.

Leo didn’t like the figures either; with homeless people living in hotels and rents close to bursting, from his point of view it was not ideal for the CSO to be saying there are 180,000 vacant properties in the country.

That could be right, if there is that kind of information. I'm not arguing, about who purchase what.
    But massive vacancy of those properties are clearly made up story by you, that you won't find that kind of information.

As I already said:

"We would only find out how much if such a tax (without loopholes) was introduced as international funds still like to stay on the right side of the law.

Yes, I used 'maybe' as those purchases made between 2012 and 2016 are still shrouded in secrecy."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

tobsey wrote: »
    Are prices down though? If demand goes down, there's every chance supply will go down because sellers won't see value. It's not like last time when we were building 70k units a year and had massive over supply.

I have been saying this to the lads on here since the beginning of the lockdown and kept getting laughed at every time I suggested that if the supply side keeps dwindling and it has, it now has over 3k less properties on it now then it did in January or to put it in simple terms about 15% less stock available for sale than at the start of the year (going on whats up on myhome) Yet they still dont understand supply vs demand = price I have accepted that demand may come down but it will have to keep pace with the supply side to see any drops in price. 9/10 months on and still no price drop. Yet schmittle will come on and with no proof say prices are dropping even do both CSO and PPR confirms he is full of hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Leo didn’t like the figures either; with homeless people living in hotels and rents close to bursting, from his point of view it was not ideal for the CSO to be saying there are 180,000 vacant properties in the country.

I'm very surprised that someone with too much time on their hands hasn't investigated this. We all know of vacant units in the ovepriced developments in Grand Canal and Ballsbridge. So even if CSO is way off for various reasons, lets say 100k "Vacant units". It must be pretty difficult to hide that many. Why hasn't some PBP clown done a Sherlock on it?

Hubertj wrote: »
    I'm very surprised that someone with too much time on their hands hasn't investigated this. We all know of vacant units in the ovepriced developments in Grand Canal and Ballsbridge. So even if CSO is way off for various reasons, lets say 100k "Vacant units". It must be pretty difficult to hide that many. Why hasn't some PBP clown done a Sherlock on it?

I raised this with props why aren't the current government saying this as SF are currently rising in popularity stating we have not got enough housing to house our people and as you say people before profit would be all over this like a bloody rash if it were the case that over 100k property was lying vacant and was available for use.

As I already said:

"We would only find out how much if such a tax (without loopholes) was introduced as international funds still like to stay on the right side of the law.

Yes, I used 'maybe' as those purchases made between 2012 and 2016 are still shrouded in secrecy."

You said previously that it easily with solve Census vacancy problem, but on other side you have no any knowledge or read anywhere about those funds vacancy.

I'm confident those type of Census checks will always be very high, as the history tells.
    Is GeoDirectory vacancy wrong, since its massively difference from CSO census?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would have thought that collating data from energy providers would be one way to investigate this empty property phenomenon.

• Advertisement

fliball123 wrote: »
    Yet they still dont understand supply vs demand = price I have accepted that demand may come down but it will have to keep pace with the supply side to see any drops in price.

You sure nailed apples, but in the context of a housing market you have a bit of a struggle understanding supply and demand yourself.
    As in if I have 10 apples and 10 people want to buy then the price is set, if 5 people no longer want an apple then the price drops but if we take 5 apples out then the price reset to what it was.

According to this year on year to end of September, national prices and Dublin prices are lower
    https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/98d5baa18a1bc6d603e0/
    9/10 months on and still no price drop. Yet schmittle will come on and with no proof say prices are dropping even do both CSO and PPR confirms he is full of hot air.

I may well be full of hot air, but neither you or the PPR are confirming it.

As for the CSO, you can't trust a thing they say, rudimentary amateurs.

Hubertj wrote: »

Yep, I'm a bit surprised too.

You said previously that it easily with solve Census vacancy problem, but on other side you have no any knowledge or read anywhere about those funds vacancy.

I'm confident those type of Census checks will always be very high, as the history tells.
    Is GeoDirectory vacancy wrong, since its massively difference from CSO census?

Well, whether it's c. 180,000 in Q2 2016 as per Census 2016 or c. 90,000 in Q2 2020 as per the GeoDirectory survey as you mentioned. Either way, if I was investing in property, I would like to know who owns them.

Remember, they don't have to sell them in mass to move the market prices or rents. They could, just as easily, approach the government and ask them to rent or buy them.

They could easily approach the Government and say they have 20,000 units here, ready to go. Want to rent or buy them for social housing? Straight away, you have 20,000 homes that were previously rented to tenants on HAP etc. losing their tenant and having to re-enter the market with no Government back-stop i.e. HAP, which has been keeping rents artificially high for the past 4 years.

Such an action by the funds would just as easily move the market prices or rents as selling them in mass.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would have thought that collating data from energy providers would be one way to investigate this empty property phenomenon.

I would think the same, but it seems it's works in opposite, many companies including Energy companies using their data.
    It's quite new, but it's getting popular for companies as source data for Residential and Commercial properties. As well probably due to constant update of the data

I would think the same, but it seems it's works in opposite, many companies including Energy companies using their data.
    It's quite new, but it's getting popular for companies as source data for Residential and Commercial properties.

They used to calculate the vacant homes by using the ESB connections until 2016/2017. Then the opposition gave out stating that the Government at the time was using them to inflate the house building figures.

I agree though. I always thought the ESB connections were a more reliable measure of new supply (new builds and previously vacant stock) entering the market.

You sure nailed apples, but in the context of a housing market you have a bit of a struggle understanding supply and demand yourself.

According this year on year to end of September, national prices and Dublin prices are lower
    https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/98d5baa18a1bc6d603e0/

I may well be full of hot air, but neither you or the PPR are confirming it.

As for the CSO, you can't trust a thing they say, rudimentary amateurs.

You don't understand anything you keep telling people not to buy due to the innate want you have for prices to drop for months now you have been spouting prices have dropped during the recession and used a drop in an asking price here and there to back up your dumb ass theories I have put up the CSO and PPR data over and over and do I need to do it again to prove you wrong. I have always said prices may drop and I am on record here as saying I think they will drop by about 5% or so in the next 18 months or so but the difference between you and me and even if I am wrong in my assumptions of prices going up or down I have never gone out of my way to tell a poster on here to buy or not buy. As for apples when I am dealing with someone who has a lesser intellect I feel like I have to explain it to you like your a 5 year old.

Well, whether it's c. 180,000 in Q2 2016 as per Census 2016 or c. 90,000 in Q2 2020 as per the GeoDirectory survey as you mentioned. Either way, if I was investing in property, I would like to know who owns them.

over 90.000 in difference! So you don't know if its Census right or GeoDirectory, but you keep sharing Census as a factual numbers?
    Over 90.000, not big deal, as long as it's large number, it suits you?

You don't understand anything you keep telling people not to buy due to the innate want you have for prices to drop for months now you have been spouting prices have dropped during the recession and used a drop in an asking price here and there to back up your dumb ass theories I have put up the CSO and PPR data over and over and do I need to do it again to prove you wrong. I have always said prices may drop and I am on record here as saying I think they will drop by about 5% or so in the next 18 months or so but the difference between you and me and even if I am wrong in my assumptions of prices going up or down I have never gone out of my way to tell a poster on here to buy or not buy. As for apples when I am dealing with someone who has a lesser intellect I feel like I have to explain it to you like your a 5 year old.

All of the above is verifiably false.

Except for the comment that I have a lesser intellect than you. It's not verifiable from what we have posted on here, but of course that's possible. I couldn't possibly comment.

All of the above is verifiably false.

Except for the comment that I have a lesser intellect than you. It's not verifiable from what we have posted on here, but of course that's possible. I couldn't possibly comment.

Your starting to sound like trump there fake news :) your the comical Ali of boards. Sure if anyone wants to have a look at your vested interest and the amount of times you were proven wrong on price drops all they have to do is look back at your posts and see how many times you were corrected by other posters who had actual fact backing up their claims

Your starting to sound like trump there fake news :) your the comical Ali of boards. Sure if anyone wants to have a look at your vested interest and the amount of times you were proven wrong on price drops all they have to do is look back at your posts and see how many times you were corrected by other posters who had actual fact backing up their claims

Ok, I'll bite.
    You don't understand anything you keep telling people not to buy due to the innate want you have for prices to drop for months now you have been spouting prices have dropped during the recession and used a drop in an asking price here and there to back up your dumb ass theories I have put up the CSO and PPR data over and over and do I need to do it again to prove you wrong.

When I have ever specifically advised people not to buy? Link?
    When have I ever said prices have dropped during the recession and used a drop in an asking price here and there to back up my dumb ass theories Link?

The big difference between you and me, is I have never resorted to personal abuse with you, and always attacked the post and not the poster. You have been warned about this before.

• Advertisement

over 90.000 in difference! So you don't know if its Census right or GeoDirectory, but you keep sharing Census as a factual numbers?
    Over 90.000, not big deal, as long as it's large number, it suits you?

I believe I normally post both when discussing it and ask people to pick whichever figure they wish.

Yes, they are 4 years apart. But, still, 90,000 is, in my opinion, a big deal. To put the figure into perspective, England with 10 times our population had only 216,000 vacant homes in 2018.

And yes, I would be interested in large numbers. It matters given how small our country and our economy is. Same with our public debt. Pre-covid, it was the third highest in the world on a per capita basis. Only the USA and Japan were ahead of us. And, remember, the USA and Japanese debt is in their own currency so they can literally print their debt away.

Technically we can too, with ECB approval. Our debt is in euro, which, given the amount of control we have over it, our debt might as well be in dollars, sterling or yen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Wasnt there someone on here saying they're buying shares in IRES a few weeks ago lol now thats someone with a very identifiable vested interest in the housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KnowingWind

Im wondering has anyone's opinion been changing as the outlook for covid has changed.
    I mean when this first started many thought it could have blown over by now.
    It now seems it could get worse before it gets better, which of course will effect economy.

There could be more houses coming on the market.
    e.g. investor properties not getting rent. Dying older people. At some point some people are going to struggle paying mortgages. Hopefully people will be removed from such properties quicker this time around then last recession. Of course give some leeway but not too much.

WFH may not an option for most of these properties due to very poor WIFI connections.

The states program for connecting every home in the country to fast broadband is actually progressing a lot faster than many people believe. Every home will be connected within the next 7 years and they're already further along than many people realise.

WFH may not an option for most of these properties due to very poor WIFI connections.

Rural internet speeds have improved considerably for many properties. I have gone from about 6 Mbps to 150, and I could get 1000 if I wanted to pay a bit more, and there is grass growing up the middle of the road I am on.

The states program for connecting every home in the country to fast broadband is actually progressing a lot faster than many people believe. Every home will be connected within the next 7 years and they're already further along than many people realise.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/22/irelands-rural-broadband-plan-is-3-years-ahead-of-schedule-mccourt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

You've more faith in this than me, they're cheaping out on some aspects which could cause bandwidth issues especially with more users than expected.

I believe there are many reasons why "Office people" will not move to vacant homes in country side.
    They are typically in bad conditions, very cold with very low BER ratings, cost lots of money to renovate them. You want some comfort at home. You want facilities around. You don't want every morning and evening to travel 10km to bring your kids to kindergarten or secondary school. Or travel 10km to get a milk for your breakfast coffee or something

You've more faith in this than me, they're cheaping out on some aspects which could cause bandwidth issues especially with more users than expected.

Such as?

Australia recently screwed the pooch totally in this regard, but I am not aware of Ireland getting it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Won't many of these "office people" be already living in houses and commuting to jobs in City centres?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement