Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killegland Ashbourne

• 14-03-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey just wondering on peoples views and experiences on Killegland Ashbourne (beside tesco)? Thinking of buying an apargument here and have missed review's? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NikeRunnersYay

Yaris 2000 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering on peoples views and experiences on Killegland Ashbourne (beside tesco)? Thinking of buying an apargument here and have missed review's? Thanks in advance

The place has pyrite. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Fiona

Yaris 2000 wrote: »

Hi I am living here the last 2 years but my have owned my apt since it was built in 2007.

There was pockets of pyrite in some parts of the developement which has been rectified at no extra cost to any of the homeowners the works were completed by the receiver of the lands as they have not been handed over to the council yet.

I live on top floor apt and it's grand, can be a bit noisy outside with children playing but that's unavoidable with people living situations these days. The apt themselves are quiet inside I never hear my neighbours.

Everything on your doorstep. Some issues with mgt company, windows not being cleaned, insides could do with a paint but is there any complex where these issues don't exist??

Any specific questions just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foodiewarrior

Hi there.

Just thinking myself to buy an apartment in Ashbourne and move in.
    Is the Killegland area still nice?
    Any problems?

Hi there.

Just thinking myself to buy an apartment in Ashbourne and move in.
    Is the Killegland area still nice?
    Any problems?

Hi there

The buildings are still standing after pyrite issues so that's a positive!!

The did have some issues with anti-social behaviour in the past but to be fair at the last couple of months I've been quite quiet and I haven't had anything bad to report.

The complex itself can be quite noisy due to the amount of walkthrough traffic that it attracts especially in the nighttime when people are coming home from the pubs but to be honest you actually start to become immune to it after a while, the kids playing football under the arch is more annoying.

All that aside it's ridiculously convenient living in the middle of the town centre. Do you know what block you were thinking of buying in?

Any other questions just shout.

Thanks for the quick answer!

So there were problems with pyrite and anti-social behavior?! :o
    How is everything now?

I'm thinking about Killegland Hall.

What I noticed when viewing a few apartments is very high management fees.
    Also electric storage heating.
    Also it seems that most apartments are renters, not owner occupiers.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick answer!

So there were problems with pyrite and anti-social behavior?! :o
    How is everything now?

I'm thinking about Killegland Hall.

What I noticed when viewing a few apartments is very high management fees.
    Also electric storage heating.
    Also it seems that most apartments are renters, not owner occupiers.

I live in The Hall!

Yes there was pyrite in the foundations of some of the retail units and in The Hall. All of the remediation work has been done and has been very successful and we didn't have to pay anything towards it thankfully.

There is some fire safety remediation work which is being done at present at a cost of €500 per unit and all of this work is being done with the blessing of the Meath fire officer who has worked very closely with our management company on this.

Once this work is completed you will be guaranteed that your apartment is started off for all structural and firework which will thankfully increase the value of them.

But yes I would agree with you the management fees are quite high and something which can be a turn off for people but because we have so many lift shafts in the building and roller Gates on the underground car park that contribute to the cost.

The management company do a decent job considering the mess that they were handed when they took the place over and they have also coordinated all of the building works and fire safety work so I can't really give out them for that.

Because of all that some of the cleaning functionalities have not been as frequent as we would have liked but I would expect that to change now that all of this important stuff has been taken care of.

Sadly there is a lot of renters in the complex and not a lot of owner occupiers but generally the people who rent here are fine and any issues we have are dealt with fairly quickly with the management company.

The anti-social behaviour consisted of people hanging around in the underground car park which I think has resolved itself I haven't heard of people complaining about it recently. We also have a contact with the local community Garda so they are aware that there was an issue before but I genuinely think that it has resolved itself.

The storage heaters are actually really good in my apartments I never have any issues with them I am on the top floor and my apartment is always toastie in the winter time. I think my bill for the 2 months over the snow was hitting the €350 Mark but that was for heating all of my water and all of my cooking as well so I don't think it was too unreasonable if you were to add an electricity bill and a gas bill together.

@Fiona:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I found it very helpful.

I'm happy with Ashbourne and with the apartment complex, so I made an offer on the apartment.

What is the building quality like? Can you hear noise from other apartments?

What is the building quality like? Can you hear noise from other apartments?

I have one set of neighbours beside me on the left and I can't hear anything from them, I have stairs on the other side.

I never hear people in front of me unless they are leaving / entering their apt.

The only noise that you will hear is from the kids playing ball underneath the arch in Dominos and people on balconies but I guess that would be the same as people in their gardens in an estate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 njadric

Hi, I am thinking to buy in Ashbourne, specifically Killegland apartments so I am wondering did anything change in a last year or two, specifically regarding pyrite?

@foodiewarrior, did you end up buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emmettemmett

Fiona wrote: »
    I have one set of neighbours beside me on the left and I can't hear anything from them, I have stairs on the other side.

I never hear people in front of me unless they are leaving / entering their apt.

The only noise that you will hear is from the kids playing ball underneath the arch in Dominos and people on balconies but I guess that would be the same as people in their gardens in an estate etc.

hi fiona I have an offer in on an apartment in killegland hall at the moment ,the agent has told me that you can get 20% discount on your maintenance fees if piad in advance each year is that correct. thanks

• Advertisement

hi fiona I have an offer in on an apartment in killegland hall at the moment ,the agent has told me that you can get 20% discount on your maintenance fees if piad in advance each year is that correct. thanks

Yes you do i pay mine in full every year to get the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emmettemmett

Thanks fiona for your reply that makes a big difference

Thanks fiona for your reply that makes a big difference

No worries any questions just shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 serg 74

Hello, I'm moving to Killegland soon and I want to know what internet should I get and is there visitor parking or where should i park my second car.Thanks

serg 74 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm moving to Killegland soon and I want to know what internet should I get and is there visitor parking or where should i park my second car.Thanks

I have Virgin Media and I don't have any issues with it it's a very good service I have to say even when there is bad weather.
    Parking is limited in the Lidl car park they do tend to clamp from time to time.
    There is free unlimited parking in the multi-storey car park, there is parking in the Tesco section of the underground but again this can be liable to camping from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 serg 74

Fiona wrote: »
    I have Virgin Media and I don't have any issues with it it's a very good service I have to say even when there is bad weather.
    Parking is limited in the Lidl car park they do tend to clamp from time to time.
    There is free unlimited parking in the multi-storey car park, there is parking in the Tesco section of the underground but again this can be liable to camping from time to time.
    Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Surrlizzz

Hi there,

Just reading the above comments regarding living in the complex and Pyrite issues in the past. My offer was accepted for a top floor apartment and now having read the above, I am slightly concerned regarding Pyrite. Could anyone let me know if this is still an issue?

Best Wishes,

Sarah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MikeF1000

Hey there, I too am in the process of buying one of these apartments. Do you know if there was a a fire certificate issued after these works had been done? Similarly with the pyrite issue, has anyone seen a green certificate for the building to say it is free of pyrite completely?

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike

I don't live there anymore but I know that in The Hall the fire safety work has not been completed yet however there is Money in the sinking fund for this to be completed.

There is a certificate available to confirm that there is no pyrite in the common areas of the complex which is where the pyrite was discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭callmepetardu

Apologies for trying to resurrect an old thread!

We're sale agreed on an apartment in Killegland Meadow since February 28th. All was going well expect now we've been waiting two months for the management company to transfer the insurance policy to our names. We need to letter of indemnity to draw down the mortgage so this has been pretty frustrating!

Do you guys have any tips on what we can do to push them along? Vendor has been contacting them too but we've gotten nothing and have now missed our closing date because of it. Bit frustrating and doesn't bode well for the long term!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Have no tips for you other that the management companies are completely and utterly useless and it would be a blessing in disguise if the sale didn't go through. The place is a complete kip.

Not sure of the property management for that block could be Bohan Hyland still.

I lived in Killegland Hall, sold last year. I am afraid I don't have any positive reviews of the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 foxy2012

Hi Fiona and others. I am sale agreed on a top floor apartment in Killegland Hall. Reading the earlier comments (and replies to me from the Mgt Co, Qualitas), there was pyrite found in the retail units and lower floors a number of years ago but this was resolved with no further reports of it being found in other apartments in the block. Is this still the case? Also, the fire safety issues, do we know what the latest here?

I am waiting to receive the minutes of the 2021 AGM so I don't know if it was raised then - the 2022 AGM has not yet been scheduled.

I've appointed a building surveyor to inspect the apartment along with the lifts, carpark gates etc but obviously all info is helpful!

Fiona- some of your earlier comments seem to suggest Killegland Hall is a nice place to live but your last comment says you don't have any positive reviews, is that for the Hall or the Meadows (which is where the question was based on?!).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sadgilmore

Killegland is not a pleasant place to live. Apartments are under valued compared to others for a reason.

Sound insulation is next to none. You will hear your neighbors all the time. Changed a spotlight bulb in hallway and there was daylight visible in the joinery between roof and next apartment.

Storage heaters useless, bills in winter are 300 upwards (and that is with minimal heating use!)

Damp mould was an issue until we bought our own dehumidifier (and again obviously this costs electricity) just to keep mould at a minimum.

The management company seem uninterested but whether that is intentional or lack of funds I don't know.

Antisocial behavior is rampant. Join the killegland residents group on Facebook you will see previous posts regarding non resident teenagers, men and others having access and management company lay the blame on residents and take no initiative.

I just moved from here (renting) and saw the degradation of the hall and general area around over the last three years. I wouldn't recommend it at all and am beyond grateful to have moved out of there.

Sorry that I don't have anything nice to say. But any friend I know who needs to move I've given same advice to not go near killegland or ashbourne in general

Hi Foxy

Yes there was pyrite in the retail units and also in the ground floor common areas / lift shafts all of which was remediated, the work was done back in 2018 I think and it was all signed off on as I had to present the paperwork for the sale of my own apartment (116 Killegland Hall)

RE the fire issues, there is work to be done, I have no idea what the work is but there is approx €40k or 60k in an account for the work to be done, these issues came to light approx 2019 and we all put up €500 per unit and that was the price quoted at the time. The retail units have been in liquation / receivership so may times that some common areas have not been transferred over and delays happened with the fire safety work as there was a chance of some of the work being paid for but I have no idea what the latest is.

Killegland was nice but in the last 5 years took a nosedive. I painted my whole floor when I put my apt and on the market at my own cost with my own hands and one of the residents knocked on my door to give out about some white emulsion paint on their door frame - this is the stuff you have to deal with when you do a good deed for people that wouldn't even hoover outside their front door! People openly making a mess of the lift with rubbish bags after you cleaned the lift in front of them!

We were top floor so our heating bills were a lot better than everybody else's. I think my worst one in the snow was about €400, I made use of the nightrate electricity as I could for the washing and dishwasher and heating the water I never used the booster switch.

Never had any mould either, our bathroom door was open all the time and always had the windows open but again top floor is a lot different to other floors from what I can make out speaking to residents over the years.

@foxy2012 I own the Killegland Apartment Complex Residents Group page on facebook if you want to join it and have a chat with other residents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I would agree with other negative opinions about the place. As others suggested, have a look at the residence group and and also the Real Ashbourne Notice Board Facebook page. It sounds insane but in the residents group you'll find a recent enough incident where a woman had human **** smeared on her door after she publicly complained about teenagers urinating in the lift. I would avoid at all costs.

Yeah the Ashbourne teenagers are special, in every sense of the word, the gift that keeps on giving, even had Garda calling me cos of their mothers complaining about us highlighting what they were doing around the area.

In the end selling the apt was a dream come true never have to deal with it ever again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 foxy2012

Thanks to all that replied! It certainly is worrying to hear all the negative feelings. The noise is a big issue for me, I like my peace and quiet.

Aware of the sinking fund balance but unable to get clear answers from mgt co regarding remaining fire safety works

I've a survey scheduled next week (via a work friend), I'm attending it too so I'll be able to get a better idea of the issues.

I'll join that group now!

Thanks again

Advertisement