Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Eve Traditions :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

My father is a butcher so the run in to Christmas is always busy. It always involves me working for the week in my own job and hightailing it home to help out. Its 3-4 12 hour days of Prep work before the rush on Xmas eve. I love it though as I get to meet people I may not have seen for months and everyone is in great spirits.

We normally close up at 4pm and my brother and I head to the pub for a few drinks then home for a family dinner in front of the fire. Then its back into town to meet my friends, many of whom I may not have seen in years.

Normally home then by 10 to sit by the fire with the parents to have the chats and wind down prior to heading off to bed for the big day. Needless to say we are all KO'd at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Usually get showered, dressed in new clothes and pack up as me and my mam head to my grannys for Christmas, as does the rest of the family. Usually head into town for a walk around and a drink or some food or do a bit of last minute shopping

Spend the day doing whatever we like then around 6/7 pm my aunties and uncle all head to grannys, by the time we arrive usually granny is making her famous chocolate mallows :)

we all chill out, catch up, all open one present each, we don't have a dinner on Christmas eve because we have turkey /ham paninis in the late evening and scoff sweets, crisps, crackers and cheese all evening!

Have a few drinks, find a funny film or comedian to watch and generally just catch up and have a laugh!

Christmas day, I'm 21 and my mam still does santa (in my grannys house as always has been done!) she will lay out all my surprises and presents on the sofa and come down to watch me open them. Then I give her her presents, the rest of the family then come downstairs in drabs and we sit around chatting eating chocolate while breakfast is cooked by usually grandad, we open grannys presents (the best ones haha!) and everyone exchanges gifts

Then eventually we get dressed and some neighbours call over for a couple of beers and a laugh, we have a late Christmas day dinner about 6pm. Then chill, drink snack watching TV for the evening and usually have an oul sing song once grandad goes to bed!

I think this year I'll start a Christmas eve tradition with my boyfriend as we don't see eachother until Stephens day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I usually get up on Christmas Eve and go to the shops for the last few bits for dinner (fresh veg mainly). The afternoon was always quiet, and then would meet a few friends in the local that evening for a few pints. Life has changed a bit over the last few years with people moving away, or getting married, or having kids, or any combination of the above, so Christmas Eve evening pints haven't really been happening, but we have managed a few afternoon pints which have also been nice!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've always had to "work" Christmas Eve but it has varied by job and never too bad. Part of this is because I don't have kids so have volunteered for the worse shifts so those that do can have more useful time - and I get all the time off I want in June when their kids are still in school and holidays are cheap :D Also got a huge amount of overtime in one past job.

Current place we always go for breakfast at about 10 in work in a hotel nearby (pre-booked so they're still serving) and generally off home immediately after. This moves to the 22/23rd as applicable if it's a weekend Christmas Eve. Fair few staff bring their kids in for this

A previous job I would drive in to the office and get the diversionary mobile phone for the emergency line and take it home by maybe 1 at worst, 11 more often. Only one single day did I have a call out - to Athlone! Traffic was extremely light and I was still home by 2

After that it's usually pick up a final set of fresh food from the shops, prep whatever, if any food I need to do for the next day - full dinner hosting this year - and down the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sitting here with almost tears flowing; so much sheer honest beauty. Thank you.
    Realising too how much for me now is tied up with memories of Christmas long past; old age can do this. Sweetnesses and darknesses.. small specks of memories floating in.

Family wise I am totally alone, and physically too. Just is how it is and that is fine. Solitude is a blessing in many ways. And is fruitful too, but I am very very tired these days and being with folk exhausts. I seek no other than what I have. Just me and my cats... fire in the hearth, food in the cupboards, work for my hands that I love and that will earn to feed needy folk,,.. oh and youtube of course!

But small traditions … Mostly food, and most that I have developed over the decades, And decorations. If the weather allows!

Deep faith cuts across the Christmas hype, cuts across the commercial flim flam.. leaves the breathtaking miracle of the Birth of Christ in all its utter holy beauty... ,and this year sees me islandbound so not near a shop in the entire year. Peace! But needing thought and care. Central for me was the Advent Wreath in the church here. And will be the Crib here.

And I am enjoying all the traditional food! And this year the suspense of what my Christmas dinner will be! Weather dependent,lol…

Last year was lovely. I was in Westport, and was welcomed at the Lunch Club Christmas dinner . I knew then I would not have the car any longer so it was a real farewell! Nostalgia! Rare for anyone to cook a meal for me! Looking at all the faces of old folk enjoying a shared meal. Chat and laughter.

All what Betjeman called " the sweet and silly things of Christmas" .. we need them; need the human warmth and cheer. The bright lights and the joys of children. Treats...Just the fun and brightness... Need to give. Knitting and sending the wee bells and angels..and reading posts here is a joy.. thank you

Working to help my "faith family" overseas who are deep in making Christmas for the multitude of homeless in Canada. Been like Santa's workshop here.... families who have almost nothing; three days food supplies. Toys...

And for me the season really starts at 3 pm on Christmas Eve, with the Nine Lessons and Carols from Kings College. All else set aside then.

Thank you. THANK YOU!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Love christmas and can't wait to spend it with the family. My grandad was in hospital for the last two weeks and was let home today for a few hours to chill in his own house, he announced he absolutely 'LOVES' Christmas because all the family together. Really warmed my heart.

Honestly nothing like it! Christmas is the best time of year. Especially when you have those you love around you.

We have a new baby in the family, which is a huge deal as we haven't had a baby in the family since 15 years ago, so it has definitely brought alot of joy and happiness. It's gonna be a good one.

Hope everyone has an amazing Christmas. Only five more days of work to go!!

Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Well here we are, the nicest day of the year. My kids woke up at 8.30 (lie on for us) and we are tucking into our Christmas Eve breakfast. Coffee / juice, Danish pastries and cinnamon rolls. Hoping for a nice, warm, cosy day.

Wishing you all a lovely Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Indeed here we are... Been ill all week so a sheer miracle all is ready.... All in the planning.

Decided to go with the old tradition; Advent until y'day so decorations and lights up TODAY

The lights will go up and on as darkness approaches this afternoon.. My tiny tree is up and so pretty..

I am enjoying doing it like this.. not leaving the island... It has been a lovely December away from the hype/... Really peaceful. The pattern of years to come.

Turkey breast ready to defrost; supervalu came good with a small turkey... actually they came very good with all my list! All I had to do was email the list... potatoes, parsnips, carrots, parboiled ready to roast. Trifle base done.

Oh and I have been out to pick marigolds from my small garden...

Hope all there will have a wonderful anticipatory day...

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    Well here we are, the nicest day of the year. My kids woke up at 8.30 (lie on for us) and we are tucking into our Christmas Eve breakfast. Coffee / juice, Danish pastries and cinnamon rolls. Hoping for a nice, warm, cosy day.

Wishing you all a lovely Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

We wake up to the final morning of Elf, who usually bring a a candy cane for the kids.

After breakfast we work with the kids to get there bedrooms ready, helping us clean and putting on new covers.

We pay a quick visit to the grannies and then it’s down to the Phoenix Park for one last check on the Reindeers we’ve been checking up on for about 4 weeks. Into one of the Mullingar, Comiskey's or The Hole in the wall for a hot chocolate and sneaky Guinness for me :).

Last it’s off to the cinema. This years movie is Star Trek!

Then home for showers new PJs and bed. That’s our now 10 year plus tradition

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Time for the annual bump to one of the best threads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    Time for the annual bump to one of the best threads :)

Nice, loved this thread last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭DenMan

Beautiful October day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I'm relieved that I won't feel obliges to bring the kids to mass Christmas Eve this year! Last year was a schit show! Church was densely packed, screaming kids everywhere, three elderly people were carried out after collapsing, all while the priest went on for an hour and 20 minutes thanking practically everyone in the parish by name. Kids stressed, late going to bed, mam and dad stressed.
    Not happening this year! Will do the obligatory visits in the morning. Home to do some cooking and have a nice chilled day, maybe take the kids for a long walk to wear them out. A boardgame and a nice drop of something for mam and dad and into bed before santa arrives!
    (and yes, I love Christmas :P)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Last year we trialled making a gingerbread house on Christmas Eve, and it's a tradition we'll be keeping. I made the dough ahead have it frozen. Then the plan is to bake the shapes on the day.

Last year OH and Elf Óg assembled and decorated it at the kitchen table while I was making dinner nearby with Christmas songs on in the background, and sipping on something suitably Christmassy.

It was just such a nice family time.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Neyite wrote: »
    Last year we trialled making a gingerbread house on Christmas Eve, and it's a tradition we'll be keeping. I made the dough ahead have it frozen. Then the plan is to bake the shapes on the day.

Last year OH and Elf Óg assembled and decorated it at the kitchen table while I was making dinner nearby with Christmas songs on in the background, and sipping on something suitably Christmassy.

That does sound idyllic Neyite:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

had an awful xmas eve last year, my father got a stroke on the 21st december. spent 3 weeks in hospital. thank god had no ill effects and back in great health now. spent xmas eve last year in the hospital til 11:30 pm, christ its a lonely place. i will always remember walking out at 11:30 watching a young mother run in with her 5 year old in her arms obviously sick with something, horrible to see on christmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

We've done presents on Christmas Eve for years now so we don't have to get up early on Christmas day :D Since I've moved out we still do that so Christmas Eve is spent in my parent's house.

Christmas Eve 2018 I told my family I was pregnant...my parent's got cups with a little message on them and socks with Granny and Grandad on them so Christmas Eve will always be one of my favourite days of the year.

This year my little fella will be 16 months so will have a bit more of an idea of what's going on, compared to last year! Myself, hubby and him will chill out at home, bring Milo our dog for a walk, have dinner and head down to my parent's for an hour or two. Bed for little man and we might watch a movie and eat loads of goodies :D I might do a few bits to prep for dinner the next day. I absolutely love Christmas Eve for the chilled out family time...bliss :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Neyite wrote: »

God thats a fab idea. Did you use a template? I'd be nervous but I love gingerbread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Gingerbread houses are great fun. The last day of school before the hols I collected my own 3 boys and my 2 nieces and we had a boys against girls decorating session. One was artistically decorated to look like a symmetric, pretty house and the other was smeared with icing and had as many sweets and sprinkles stuck to it as was possible, no visible gingerbread. Unfortunately for me, the pretty one went home with my nieces. The boys chipped away at the other one over the next week. Great fun though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

God thats a fab idea. Did you use a template? I'd be nervous but I love gingerbread!

As far as I can recall, Donal Skehan has the recipe and the template on his website.
    Honestly, it's simple to do. The dough can get made ahead of time - mines already in the freezer. Then you're just rolling it out and tracing out the template. They bake very quickly - 10 mins or so, and the dough is plentiful so you can make extra walls/roof panels in case of breakages.

You'll also need royal icing to set hard for assembly, and Foxes fruits candy crushed for window panes, different piping nozzles & bag. You can even stock up on the various candy that you want to use now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The Lies about santas movements on christmas eve broadcasts were a problem last year.....

On christmas fm one minute "santa hasnt left yet"

On another station at the same time "santa is in china"

On rte news a few minutes later " santa has got permission and is on his way to ireland"...

My young lads (6 and 7) are too clever for this level of spoofery...

When my lies dont stack up with those other lies...it causes headaches!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Just control the source, as in if they heard X from Christmas fm don't stick on RTE. Tis all we can do.

My dad is an awful man for putting his foot in it, he showing signs of age. Santa brought our eldest a pair of runners one year and got the size wrong, my dad said not to worry he will bring them back as he still has the receipt, we corrected him that Santa brought the runners, he was adamant that we were going mad as he remembers buying the runners for us to give to the elf. We had to explain to the elf that the Santa story was real and my dad was losing it.

The Lies about santas movements on christmas eve broadcasts were a problem last year.....

On christmas fm one minute "santa hasnt left yet"

On another station at the same time "santa is in china"

On rte news a few minutes later " santa has got permission and is on his way to ireland"...

My young lads (6 and 7) are too clever for this level of spoofery...

When my lies dont stack up with those other lies...it causes headaches!

This works a treat on xmas eve with its moving Santa on the map, They wont hear anything else.

https://www.noradsanta.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Just want to say this is one of my favorite threads on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jude13 wrote: »
    Just control the source, as in if they heard X from Christmas fm don't stick on RTE. Tis all we can do.

My dad is an awful man for putting his foot in it, he showing signs of age. Santa brought our eldest a pair of runners one year and got the size wrong, my dad said not to worry he will bring them back as he still has the receipt, we corrected him that Santa brought the runners, he was adamant that we were going mad as he remembers buying the runners for us to give to the elf. We had to explain to the elf that the Santa story was real and my dad was losing it.

That reminds me of a Christmas a good number of years ago

My sisters kids got their presents and were delighted with life

So at the Christmas dinner the aunt pipes up “so Eibhinn I see you got the playhouse after for little Anna. Remember we met outside the toy shop that day”

All the while the kids listening in.

My sister and mam saved the situation by saying they were only in the toy shop to check if the elves had picked the right one

And no doubt probably plenty of kicking her under the table to get her to wise up!! She blamed the generous pre dinner serving of baileys after

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Usually I wake up to a huge breakfast on Christmas Eve cooked by himself. He lays the table out and goes out for baked goods so I wake up to a lovely smell of coffee and pastries. :)

We usually end up going for a long walk with the dog, do a few loops of the Phoenix Park. Come home, watch a movie with the kids then get them washed and dressed for bed while himself gets takeaway. Once the youngest child is in bed the rest of us will watch a movie and have a glass or two of wine.

Mine are past the age of Santa now and in a way that brings its own peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Stir it up Sunday was yesterday. I made the pudding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭DenMan

Stir it up Sunday was yesterday. I made the pudding :)

Way to go! We did ours last week. Measuring out the new fridge now to accommodate the ham and turkey. Yesterday I put up those ultra hold hooks for the lights in the conservatory. It's getting serious now! :D

• Advertisement

Getting close now :D:D !

Advertisement