Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October 2020 - Fantasy Watch Competition - The Cyrus Rules.

• 01-10-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭

Congrats to Septembers winner Cyrus, as his reward he get to set the rules for this months competition. This one is juicy.

Rules:
    1. 5 watch collection
    2. €100k euro budget
    3. No stainless steel
    4. Each watch must be from a different brand.
    5. European Union and UK Countries on Chrono24 only, must pay full asking. Currency conversion as per Chrono24.
    6. Entries with the format - Watch, reference, price, Chrono24 link please.

All Entries PM to me and note its October in the header. All entries will be published on the 17th October and anonymous. Poll for 2 weeks and results on the 31st October.

If you want to make comment on your collection, the reasons for your choices etc. I will put that under your entry on the poll.

Good luck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Is two tone considered outside the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    Is two tone considered outside the rules?

I would say two tone is out of bounds however maybe Cyrus might confirm, its his rodeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No SS? 5 resin G-Shocks and a speed boat with the change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Edit:So the average price has gone from 8K to 20K and no stainless steel, sounds like it's moved from desirable but unobtainable to simply undesirable, for me at least.

Plenty of desirable non-ss. Although I did see a furniture salesman wearing a president and laughed to myself. Seems to be the go to watch to let people know you have money.

How the hell do you change the currency on chrono24? Found it, right down the bottom of the home page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I decided to have a go in this one. I decided to get in nice an early in case any of my picks disappear between now and the reveal.

Edit:So the average price has gone from 8K to 20K and no stainless steel, sounds like it's moved from desirable but unobtainable to simply undesirable, for me at least.

I am sure with the 50,000 watches on C24 you will manage to find 5 you like....
    :rolleyes:

Rules are tough though. When PM is involved it’s very easy drop 50k on a watch from the like of PP!

Not a bad option, 50k for 4 watches with 1 amazing watch isn't bad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No SS? Pity cos I'd have been able to rustle up a few that might fit, but none would be made of precious metal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Switzerland not being in the EU has fúcked me up. Next price closest is €12k more. It's like doing a fantasy football team

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Switzerland not being in the EU has fúcked me up. Next price closest is €12k more. It's like doing a fantasy football team

I've included a Swiss based watch in my 5. I assumed they were kosher because I didn't read carefully enough.

I'll wait for Fitz to confirm if I need to change my selection out.

It ****ed me up because it was my most expensive. Can we put in the car and drive across the border with the watch hidden in a side panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Isn't Switzerland basically pretty much EEA?
    Free trade? Or is there a VAT liability?

I would have assumed Switzerland is ok in the spirit of the competition.

I really liked this budget!

Can do a lot with €100k.

893bet wrote: »
    I would have assumed Switzerland is ok in the spirit of the competition.

I really liked this budget!

Yes switzerland is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »
    Yes switzerland is ok.

Woohoo!

I'm in an online lecture for public Admin, but trawling chrono24 for PM watches I'll never ever own :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

*(former) tax lawyer hat on* - you would need to add on Irish VAT when importing from Switzerland though ;) - another 21% on the price is substantial... *hat off*

Thirdfox wrote: »
    *(former) tax lawyer hat on* - you would need to add on Irish VAT when importing from Switzerland though ;) - another 21% on the price is substantial... *hat off*

Shhhh, say nothing!

A quick google and saw this, christ, be careful what you bring across the swiss border:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/beware-swiss-customs-targeting-baselworld-2019-attendees/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »
    I would say two tone is out of bounds however maybe Cyrus might confirm, its his rodeo.

sorry missed the post,

no two tones :pac:

• Advertisement

its only a bit of fun, if you dont like expensive precious metal watches thats fine but i dont really see why you wouldnt at least from a curiosity perspective, platinum and white gold are options if you dont like yellow gold.

last post, can i enter ? :o

Yes Cyrus you can enter no problem....folks remember, ceramic and titanium are open too, all sapphire if you want, yellow, rose, white gold, platinium, carbon fibre, graphiene, wood, brass, plastic and anything thats not stainless, the bracelet cant be SS either, and no mix of stainless and another material (looking at you rolex...with your stupid material names)

Fecking Rolesium meant I had to pick something else

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has everyone entered yet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Has everyone entered yet?

Everyone need to get entry in before Saturday afternoon close. good few in already. Entering this myself too.

Advertisement