Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virtual Reality General Discussion / Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

and another one to watch out for... I swear my backlog is screaming at me already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

mrcheez wrote: »
    Have you not played Alyx???

:(

Stride looks like something rather special... Mirrors Edge in VR and only around €16 on Steam.

Very very interested... anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Mods can we have a Virtual Reality For Sale thread?

I'm just going to leave this here in the meantime, feel free to move it to an appropriate thread.

Selling my Oculus Rift CV1 Virtual Reality Headset.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-peripherals/oculus-rift-cv1-virtual-reality-headset-boxed-new-facial-interface/21649333

Adverts Tax Applied and willing to do a deals with boardies.

Interesting, hadn't really considered selling my Rift, but to be honest I haven't touched it in ages so perhaps time to sell. And id just gone and setup a 3rd sensor around the time I picked up my Quest, but think I used the sensor two times before going all in with wireless PCVR.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What do people think of buying a Quest 1 as a start. Bought a Go on adverts last week (just to try VR out) and I haven't put the thing down.
    Im thinking of a quest one because I reckon they`ll go down to sub 200.00 when the Quest 2 is released and I have the Go sold for 100.00--will only cost me 100 to get an original Quest then.

Or should I just bite the bullet and go for the 2?

Decisions, decisions!!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    What do people think of buying a Quest 1 as a start. Bought a Go on adverts last week (just to try VR out) and I haven't put the thing down.
    Im thinking of a quest one because I reckon they`ll go down to sub 200.00 when the Quest 2 is released and I have the Go sold for 100.00--will only cost me 100 to get an original Quest then.

Or should I just bite the bullet and go for the 2?

Decisions, decisions!!!

I'd say go for 2. It really is a huge upgrade visually and you'll only be constantly planning the next upgrade if you go for the 1.

Makes more economic sense to spend a little more now for greater rewards and long-term support.

Remember support of Quest 1 ends in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Just got a mail saying I can purchase the valve index... Just wondering is it worth the money?? Would the reverb g2 be as good? I'd probably be waiting even longer for the g2 though... Impatient

monster1 wrote: »
    Just got a mail saying I can purchase the valve index... Just wondering is it worth the money?? Would the reverb g2 be as good? I'd probably be waiting even longer for the g2 though... Impatient

I'd say wait for the Reverb G2.

If I wasn't going for a Quest 2, the Reverb G2 would be my next purchase, it does look incredible compared to all other headsets.

Make sure you have the spec to run it though as I think the GPU requirements are quite high.

I'd say wait for the Reverb G2.

If I wasn't going for a Quest 2, the Reverb G2 would be my next purchase, it does look incredible compared to all other headsets.

Make sure you have the spec to run it though as I think the GPU requirements are quite high.
    Have a Ryzen 9 3950X and auros rgb rtx 2080 super, 32gb ram.
    Will prob upgrade to a 3080 or see what AMD have to offer. The 2080 should do OK? Definitely wouldn't get my hands on the g2 until December?? Craving VR a long time. And iv only ever used the first Samsung phone vr thing.

The reverb g2 will definitely be better than the index? Cheers

• Advertisement

The reverb g2 will definitely be better than the index? Cheers

Yup!

gmjtrgd0eyp51.png

Where can you pre order from? All I found was a German site bestware.com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

and another one to watch out for... I swear my backlog is screaming at me already
    Since this is supposed to have crossplay between everything ,
    If you're looking to pick this up cheaper , the epic store have a deal on at the moment that if you download the (free) rocket league game , you get a 10 euro voucher off anything over 15 . some caveats though
    You cant use it to preorder (in case you wanted to), so
    Epic store VR works fine ,it basically uses SteamVR to run games in VR, but
    theres the possibility that being an EA game it'll want to open Origin and log you in , so that would mean Epic Launcher +Steam+Origin at the same time
    Also steam still seems to be the ecosystem for VR games on PC , so there's always the possibility that updates make break crossplay at times

https://www.engadget.com/rocket-league-epic-games-store-10-dollar-voucher-091516242.html?

Virtual Desktop doesn't work with Epic VR games which is a deal breaker for me unfortunately, as I'd want to play this wirelessly.

It used to, but then stopped after an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

I have a rift S for sale if anyone is interested:

https://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/oculus-rift-s-vr/21663780

Where can you pre order from? All I found was a German site bestware.com

Anyone? Or is anyone bothering to pre order. Tempted to pull trigger on the index

Irishder wrote: »
    I have a rift S for sale if anyone is interested:

https://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/oculus-rift-s-vr/21663780

Or even this to tied me over until the reverb g2 is out. Is the rift s decent?.? Tbh iv only ever tried the Samsung gear with an s7.

Rift S is great imo.

Star Wars Squadrons looks epic! Might just have to buy a HOTAS and chair for my hot ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Star Wars Squadrons looks epic! Might just have to buy a HOTAS and chair for my hot ass

Will be giving that a go at midnight!

Quest + Link + Logitech Xtreme 3d pro, not quite as glamorous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Shlippery wrote: »
    Will be giving that a go at midnight!

Quest + Link + Logitech Xtreme 3d pro, not quite as glamorous!

It'll be be a bit better than my PSVR. I still can't believe this is finally happening. Basically a fairly faithful update of those games I played the **** out of 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Hmph, link didn't work again, just loaded into blank screen.

Guess i'll play it the 'old fashioned way! Looks great all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This is actually not bad (visually) on PSVR. Need to get a HOTAS setup though. Only criticism, does the cockpit fell very small. Battlefront's felt right.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Just fyi on SW:Squadrons for those of you dusting off HOTAS systems, there seems to be an issue with hard coded deadzones i.e. in effect even when set to zero in settings. There are workarounds using 3rd party remapping.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1222730/discussions/0/2940245647582759855/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/j3f31x/anyone_else_having_issues_with_massive_deadzone/

I don't know how much this would affect the "feel" in VR but i'm gonna wait to see if it will be patched.

529584.jpg

Impressive tech at a high price:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Hi all, just looking for general feedback, my son aged 9 1/2 has mentioned a quest on his Santa list, general feeling on what age they are actually suitable for? (I've read the advice not for under 14 )
    We don't have a console in the house, we've a PC that he uses for gaming and had planned on using that next year ( holding off with all the new cpu's and gpu's coming out, prices are a bit all over the place) the gpu in the current machine definitely wouldn't be good enough for VR as it stands. (i7 3470, 8 gb ddr3 ram , geforce 760 2gb so pushing on) so that would rule out the rift.
    I think this might be a bit too much at his age? So looking at feedback from parents who have kids of a similar age.
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No kids - well apart from me, I'm 40 and 3/4 with a mental age of about 11. VR is a massive novelty. Great for the first few weeks but then you really need a use for it like simulation games for example. Under 10 is very young for VR IMHO and if he is in anyway prone to motion sickness it's just going to be a device for making him throw up.

There is a cure for it, but I was cured of motion sickness in the 90s and I'm not sure it would be compatible with modern parenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

No kids - well apart from me, I'm 40 and 3/4 with a mental age of about 11. VR is a massive novelty. Great for the first few weeks but then you really need a use for it like simulation games for example. Under 10 is very young for VR IMHO and if he is in anyway prone to motion sickness it's just going to be a device for making him throw up.

There is a cure for it, but I was cured of motion sickness in the 90s and I'm not sure it would be compatible with modern parenting.

Cheers for the reply, yeah think I will give it a miss for now and revisit it at a later stage who knows what will be available then, might get him a switch instead, I'm sure he'd still enjoy that, and upgrade the PC in a few months too.

Advertisement