Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female, LGBTQI+ or People of Colour Mods

Options
  • 30-09-2020 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Is there any Female, LGBTQI+ (Outside that forum) or People of Colour Mods?

The tone of the men creates a hostile environment and they all seem to back each other up.

Allowing new registered posters free reign on using the word ‘retard’ and the vilest objectification of women.

Is boards the place diversity left behind?

I bring this up as I feel it’s a very intimidating place because of the toxic masculinity on display.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This seems like kneejerk reaction stuff to mod decisions you disagreed with.

You come across as very very overwrought, I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

osarusan wrote: »
    This seems like kneejerk reaction stuff to mod decisions you disagreed with.

You come across as very very overwrought, I have to say.

Thank you for your contribution.

I just feel if a man told me how to speak or how to respond to him in the real world before I retired I’d have a case with HR.

Would these men speak to their colleagues like this in work?

It’s intimidating.

For a place that has so many topics about the above, there is a distinct lack of voices from such, and if a woman gets a bit uppity she's shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

I just feel if a man told me how to speak or how to respond to him in the real world before I retired I’d have a case with HR.

Would these men speak to their colleagues like this in work?

It’s intimidating.

For a place that has so many topics about the above, there is a distinct lack of voices from such, and if a woman gets a bit uppity she's shot down.

I think the mods are doing a fine job and this type of woke witch-huntery needs to cease

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

The tone of the men creates a hostile environment and they all seem to back each other up.

Allowing new registered posters free reign on using the word ‘retard’ and the vilest objectification of women.

I bring this up as I feel it’s a very intimidating place because of the toxic masculinity on display.

Good God...is there any escape from this victim blather???

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm sure you have a wealth of explicit examples to show us.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Piehead wrote: »
    I think the mods are doing a fine job and this type of woke witch-huntery needs to cease

I'm glad you find the mods agreeable.

Out of curiosity, Can you relate to being female, LGBTQTIA+ or being a person of colour?

I don't believe it's a witch hunt, it's not yet October ;)

southstar wrote: »
    Good God...is there any escape from this victim blather???

I'd like to understand why you think having a more diverse panel of mods relates to 'victim blather'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Although I think you are very frustrated at the moment (and to an extend I can understand why), I think you need to take a deep breath and try not to make this a personal crusade.

I was intrigued by your dispute resolution thread (although I'm not sure you understand how the dispute resolution works in here) and I had a quick look at the thread that caused it. To be honest, I could vaguely understand the 2 sides of the argument but not much else made sense - and frankly that includes you. It was like a contest on who would make the most ridiculous comment and as a neutral on the subject I would be very hard pressed to agree to any point that any poster would make in it.

You need to remember though that this is an anonymous online forum where people can try to say whatever idea or opinion they have. The more you engage with people that have a different opinion than you (or worse are there to troll people) the more likely it is to lose the run of yourself and fall at that level. As it was mentioned before in the other feedback thread, the best way is to use the report a post button whenever you think someone really crosses the line - but certainly not every time you disagree with someone. If I were to do that, I would be reporting dozens of posts and mods (who are volunteers) would rightly think that I'm taking the piss. It is important that we, as users, avail of the report button wisely - because the moderators are volunteers in a very busy forum and we should try to help them make use of their time as best as possible.

On your question on whether there are Female, LGBTQI+ or People of Colour Mods: I think I know the answer, but I don't think it is for me or any other user to say one way or another. And I'm not sure if it really matters.

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, it certainly isn't my intention. Somewhere among the bickering of that thread, I think you were trying to express some interesting ideas, but you got lost in the sniping and nothing really made sense. Probably you won't agree with me but sometimes it might worth not engaging when discussions get to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The most amusing part about your hysterics is the fact that the thread that has aggrieved you most had a large number of female posters, which makes your claims even more ridiculous.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm sure you have a wealth of explicit examples to show us.

I don't think I need to show it, it's quite revealing on the forum.

I think it would be more productive if people ceased the behaviour than questioning the person who experiences it. Just my opinion.

How can you be intimidated by random anonymous people?

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Although I think you are very frustrated at the moment (and to an extend I can understand why), I think you need to take a deep breath and try not to make this a personal crusade.

I was intrigued by your dispute resolution thread (although I'm not sure you understand how the dispute resolution works in here) and I had a quick look at the thread that caused it. To be honest, I could vaguely understand the 2 sides of the argument but not much else made sense - and frankly that includes you. It was like a contest on who would make the most ridiculous comment and as a neutral on the subject I would be very hard pressed to agree to any point that any poster would make in it.

You need to remember though that this is an anonymous online forum where people can try to say whatever idea or opinion they have. The more you engage with people that have a different opinion than you (or worse are there to troll people) the more likely it is to lose the run of yourself and fall at that level. As it was mentioned before in the other feedback thread, the best way is to use the report a post button whenever you think someone really crosses the line - but certainly not every time you disagree with someone. If I were to do that, I would be reporting dozens of posts and mods (who are volunteers) would rightly think that I'm taking the piss. It is important that we, as users, avail of the report button wisely - because the moderators are volunteers in a very busy forum and we should try to help them make use of their time as best as possible.

On your question on whether there are Female, LGBTQI+ or People of Colour Mods: I think I know the answer, but I don't think it is for me or any other user to say one way or another. And I'm not sure if it really matters.

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, it certainly isn't my intention. Somewhere among the bickering of that thread, I think you were trying to express some interesting ideas, but you got lost in the sniping and nothing really made sense. Probably you won't agree with me but sometimes it might worth not engaging when discussions get to that point.

Thank you for such a kind open and honest contribution.

Your words resonated with me because it does feel like you are banging your head against a wall.

I understand people are entrenched but the toxicity makes you question is this the world I am living in. I have been relatively shielded from such toxicity all my life bar the unmarried mothers civil service seventies rule.

I understand how you can see both sides and respect you for your honesty.

Maybe I've lived too sheltered a life, yes I admit to being very upset by the use of the word retard.

I know I probably will be kicked off the site but it means little to me, I have my child to care for and while I enjoyed the Aldi thread and such if losing access to that means i can just ask the question I have then it's worth it.

Thank you again and I found your post thoughtful not at all condescending. xx

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The most amusing part about your hysterics is the fact that the thread that has aggrieved you most had a large number of female posters, which makes your claims even more ridiculous.

Thank you for the contribution.

I don't believe that registrations this month focused on trans issues are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Mods should be selected on their ability to mod, remain calm, keep an open mind and not take things personally.

Race, religion, colour, status, political views, should not play any part of the process.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

I'm glad you find the mods agreeable.

Out of curiosity, Can you relate to being female, LGBTQTIA+ or being a person of colour?

I don't believe it's a witch hunt, it's not yet October ;)

Thank you also for your contribution. Yeah thought I was an A (asexual) until I finally managed to get my hands on some lass’s baps ! Then I wasn’t A anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Mods should be selected on their ability to mod, remain calm, keep an open mind and not take things personally.

Race, religion, colour, status, political views, should not play any part of the process.

Agreed because then it's just quota filling.

To thine own self be true

How can you be intimidated by random anonymous people?

Someones tone, someone who is forceful or dominating in telling you how to explain yourself.

I've been told how to write or how not to write.

I'm retired 5 years (early I must add) and that way of speaking to people wouldn't have been tolerated in my experience.

I know this isn't a professional environment but when the balance of power is not equal it's easy to feel intimidated for me.

Thank you for your contribution

I respectfully will have to disagree. I don't think a moderator requires any explicit skills so the more diversity among the group the better in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, think that when a “regular user” becomes a mod they should be given a new mod account. When they are “on the clock” they wouldn’t post opinions in any thread, or thank any posts.

This would allow threads to “flow” and would remove any perceived “bias”. Members would get carded or banned without knowing who the moderator, in question, was on the site.

Another upside would be that the lame “mod humour” would disappear from those ‘where are you now/what are you eating’ type threads. Mods would simply be mods and could focus on the task at hand.

Obviously, it’s not a perfect “solution” but it would be a start.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 25,426 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Maybe boards just isn't for you?

You are one poster on a forum of many thousands, yet you want everyone to change their style of posting to make you feel better.

I, personally, think that when a “regular user” becomes a mod they should be given a new mod account. When they are “on the clock” they wouldn’t post opinions in any thread, or thank any posts.

This would allow threads to “flow” and would remove any perceived “bias”. Members would get carded or banned without knowing who the moderator, in question, was on the site.

Another upside would be that the lame “mod humour” would disappear from those ‘where are you now/what are you eating’ type threads. Mods would simply be mods and could focus on the task at hand.

Obviously, it’s not a perfect “solution” but it would be a start.

That in my opinion would help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That in my opinion would help also.
    Why didn't you thank this poster for their contribution?

Not your ornery onager

Maybe boards just isn't for you?

You are one poster on a forum of many thousands, yet you want everyone to change their style of posting to make you feel better.

Yes, I have questioned this lately when faced with the opening page.

I have enjoyed the company some threads have provided.

I just feel the little communities fostered in other sections of the site are let down by the content of others because and it's just my hypothesis, the site isn't very diverse. When people from other backgrounds come on they have to face a barrage of hatred.

It's funny you mention style rather than content because my style of posting as in actual style not content has been asked to change.

I don't want people to change their style, I would like that the content especially the ones that I have to face everyday logging in is a bit better quality than continuous obsession with trans people and genitalia.

If she's a leftie lesbian she's probably very very overweight as well.

Not lesbian.

Not very overweight.

Not a leftie.

Not going to report your uncivilised comment though it breaches the 'Don't be a dick' rule.

Esel wrote: »

I thought I hit copy and paste but it didn't land Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thank you for thanking my post. It confirmed my suspicions.

Not your ornery onager

Thank you for thanking my post. It confirmed my suspicions.

What's your suspicions?

I thanked you for pointing out something to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,841 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you dont like the place then close the door gently on your way out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement