Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ye Olde Watch Giveaway

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penelope2012

Doubt it will qualify as essential so you will have to leave it up till after Easter Sunday. Seeing as we are in Lockdown now.
    Birneybau wrote: »
    What with such strange days upon us, and the fact that the above never gets any wrist time, I'm going to resurrect this thread and re-gift the above watch (Thanks Banie!).

So thank this post and we'll see how it goes. I'll accept until Tuesday night. Hopefully can still post next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

What with such strange days upon us, and the fact that the above never gets any wrist time, I'm going to resurrect this thread and re-gift the above watch (Thanks Banie!).

So thank this post and we'll see how it goes. I'll accept until Tuesday night. Hopefully can still post next week!

That's an interesting looking watch I'm in 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Zombie thread revival!

On a whim recently, I bought a watch that I really don't need.

I was going to flip it, but I decided that it might be a good way to revive this thread and give someone an ownership experience risk free.

The watch is a modern (2010s or so) Vostok Amphibian 'Scuba Dude'.

It has a Type 431 case and an OEM folded link bracelet with diving suit extension.
    zkpNqF.jpg
    ajyf0g.jpg
    zITDkj.jpg

This is a military grade watch, insofar as it is rough and ready but utterly dependable and all in a 200m case.

It is currently sized to fit a 16.5cm (6.5") wrist, but has a fair bit of range on the extension.

So, I will happily send this on its way to the someone who has never had a Vostok before but would like to try one.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
    LD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Nice to see this revived.

(just for clarity, I'm not interested in the watch - just posting some support)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Consider this post a "Thank" but count me out of the draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Consider this post a "Thank" but count me out of the draw!

I'll 2nd Birney on this, count me out too.
    That said, good luck to all who enter.
    Great to see this thread revived, and I have a couple of watches that shall be put up whenever the current giveaway ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's a cool watch. I have a komandirskie but never got an Amphibian so count me in

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Good of you LD to revive the thread. I'm going to pass though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hi LD, I've never had a Vostok or even seen one in the flesh, would be delighted to put my name in the hat and experience the Soviet experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Well done on donating the watch . Great to see this thread on the go again. Best of luck to the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Dont have any russian watches inmy collection. Would appreciate been put in the hat. Will make a small donation to charity of posters choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Would love a watch like that, but it would be wasted on me, so count me out. This is a great idea for a thread

OK peoples, there are a few interested in the Scuba Dude, so I'll leave this open for a day or so and then throw the names in a hat.

Having had a Vostok and a Poljot for the best part of 20 years, I know someone will get a good experience with this.

Cheers for all the comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Nice to see this thread revived, and someone will get a fine watch from this draw. (don't put me in the draw, I have one already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Very generous! Please do count me in.

I've been itching to get a Vostok but the model I'm interested in isn't in stock for now. This classic would be the perfect alternative.

29a26ef71f893f7d36e657241bafd939.jpg

Thanks everyone for the interest.

There were a few requests to be put into the hat, and thanks to an old D&D dice, I was able to roll for a winner!

And the winner is....

Roycropper63!

PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post.

Or if you are within Dublin county, I can deliver.

Cheers all,

LD

Hand delivered too, great service Lorddrakul.
    Amik wrote: »
    Very generous! Please do count me in.

I've been itching to get a Vostok but the model I'm interested in isn't in stock for now. This classic would be the perfect alternative.

That one comes with with a removable polonium bezel, ready to drop into someones tea.

Budget the price of a new strap when you get one btw, they come with really low quality straps.

Many thanks LD. My first russian timepiece!
    Pm on its way....

Many thanks LD. My first russian timepiece!
    Pm on its way....

In the post this afternoon, registered.

Should be there for tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Thanks to LordDrakul for his generous contribution.
    It really does reinforce my notion that despite occasional crossed wires and sneakiness SNARKINESS (grammarly auto corrected me earlier:o)Sorry lads, I'd blame PMS only for I'm male!

That this really is the nicest corner of boards.
    Now with that in mind, and my having a surfeit of Invicta's due a batch buy to get a titanium one :pac:

I am will be offering up 2 of the beasties.
    1 now, the neon green and 1 in November, the yellow.
    Both are full set, sized for a 7.5" or so wrist and with spare links too.

1st on the block is the green.
    If memory serves these are NH35a movement and bloody big! 45mm or so at a guess.

I'll leave it run til the 15th and all likes on this comment will be entered into a random draw.
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but a nice and reliable beater auto to get someone started maybe!

Good luck to all interested.
    IMG-20201002-121246.jpg MVIMG-20201002-121330.jpg MVIMG-20201002-121337.jpg MVIMG-20201002-121347.jpg IMG-20201002-121407.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks to LordDrakul for his generous contribution.
    It really does reinforce my notion that despite occasional crossed wires and sneakiness (Sorry lads, I'd blame PMS only for I'm male!)

That this really is the nicest corner of boards.
    Now with that in mind, and my having a surfeit of Invicta's due a batch buy to get a titanium one :pac:

I am will be offering up 2 of the beasties.
    1 now, the neon green and 1 in November, the yellow.
    Both are full set, sized for a 7.5" or so wrist and with spare links too.

1st on the block is the green.
    If memory serves these are NH35a movement and bloody big! 45mm or so at a guess.

I'll leave it run til the 15th and all likes on this comment will be entered into a random draw.
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but a nice and reliable beater auto to get someone started maybe!

Good luck to all interested.

Would like either as an around the house watch. Fair play mate

@banie01: Fair play, mate, they are nice pieces.

Not my cup of tea, but you can't argue their appeal.

Good luck to all for the draw.

LD

Some nice watches on here, I thought we'd see old swatches with broken straps and battery case missing from 1998.

Lorddrakul, you accidently thanked the post even though you aren't entering. Hard not to thank the post automatically, very generous offer there banie, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Very generous banie01; and 2 very striking watches. My first ever automatic was an Invicta 8926OB I bought in 2012 and was a chunk of money for me at the time. After growing my collection and not wearing it for a while I passed it on last year to someone I know who was just getting into watches.

I kinda regret it is as it was my first automatic watch and wore it every day between the ages of 19 - 25, but so be it!

I have some fond memories of wearing an Invcita and would definitely throw my name in the hat.

Nice one Banie, but not for me. Fair play all the same.

Consider this a thank!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Some nice watches on here, I thought we'd see old swatches with broken straps and battery case missing from 1998.

Lorddrakul, you accidently thanked the post even though you aren't entering. Hard not to thank the post automatically, very generous offer there banie, fair play

I'll just co-sign this. It worked best when only those that wanted to enter the draw marked their interest by thanking the relevant post.

I know it's confusing, but maybe one post with the watch and a subsequent post in which those interested could thank?

Just throwing it out there.

Ah, it's not rocket science. I have faith that banie can work it out! The important thing is someone that genuinely wants it, gets it.

Ooops, my bad.

Rectified.

:P

Ah, it's not rocket science. I have faith that banie can work it out! The important thing is someone that genuinely wants it, gets it.

I dunno....
    I'm a bit on the thick side like :(
    But I try to muddle through:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Good man banie, worth a thanks anyway, never had one before, sure at least that watch could be a base for some modding fun:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Fair play Banie01 for putting those lovly watches up. As I have been a recipient and lucky enough to receive a watch already , I won't put my name forward. I'm new to the watch game and love this thread . It's great that you and other dedicated watch collectors put these forward for others to appreciate and wear. Thank you all who contribute , and long may this thread continue.

As I got LD vostok last week am I automatically banned from future giveaways?
    Don't want to appear greedy,.,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno....
    I'm a bit on the thick side like :(
    But I try to muddle through:pac:
    That'll be on my headstone B only in the past tense. :D

As hammerdub said, great thread and great guys contributing and keeping it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Fair play banie01.
    I'll hold off for now and wait to put my name forward for the yellow one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't have a green one, and I'd never afford a hulk...

A forum member has sent me a PM with a proposition.
    They have a particular grá for the green Invicta and want to know if a donation to charity could swing me to send the watch their way.

Now the watch owes me very little and in fact it cost me less than they offered to donate to charity. So I'd be happy to nix the draw for green and offer up the yellow for the actual giveaway.
    Thing is, as I offered to thread 1st? I'd like to get some consensus from the thread before I alter what I'm doing?

If there's agreement from our motley crew?
    I'd be happy to let the green go to its new home for a confirmed donation to the SVdP for the amount I have into it. Will share a cropped screenshot of that here to confirm the deed is done before postage.
    I'd also intend to keep the donor private, unless of course they decide otherwise.

Now given there are currently 8 likes/entries in the offer post, if we hit 6 likes from the entrants on this post.
    I'll go with the donation/confirm it and then offer up the yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s your to do what you like with IMO.

How could I object, and hold my head high in polite company? :D

Banie.
    No objections from me! And nice of you to offer 2 watches in the first place.

Not in the draw but go with the donation to SVDP.

No objection here. Still within the spirit of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

After a little bit of thought and a chat with the forum user who wants the green Invicta.

The donation will instead be made to the Limerick Children's Grief centre.
    They were a massive support to my son and I over the course of our journey through loss.

I'm ashamed to say they weren't the 1st charity that came to mind for me when the suggestion was made but sure no harm no foul ;)

So the draw will stand on the 15th for the yellow Invicta and all entries will still stand.
    Will share the donation confirmation as and when received.

The Green's new owner has already made the donation (and overpaid at that ;) ) and shared confirmation with me.

The donation has actually choked me up a little bit. I wasn't really expecting it to.
    Thanks to the donor, from experience the service they provide up there is exceptional and all too often needed.

The yellow will go ahead to the draw on the 15th, and thanks to the donor and to this sub-forum for proving once again it's the very best corner of boards.ie

IMG-20201003-225042.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

The way I see it, one good deed deserves another. We've never met banie01, but if it helped you out in the past, then I'm happy to match that donation.

528238.png

Spocker wrote: »
    The way I see it, one good deed deserves another. We've never met banie01, but if it helped you out in the past, then I'm happy to match that donation.

528238.png

I just sent my son a link to this thread and the 2 of us have had a hug.

Thank you Spocker, we've never met thats true.
    But by Christ if I can return the favour, in kind or in kidney!
    You will have it.

I bloody love this corner of boards.

I am typing thru teary eyes, but they are happy ones.

The Green's new owner has already made the donation (and overpaid at that ;) ) and shared confirmation with me.

The donation has actually choked me up a little bit. I wasn't really expecting it to.
    Thanks to the donor, from experience the service they provide up there is exceptional and all too often needed.

The yellow will go ahead to the draw on the 15th, and thanks to the donor and to this sub-forum for proving once again it's the very best corner of boards.ie

IMG-20201003-225042.jpg

Feck it. Spirit of the thing.

I'll throw them another 50.
    Untitled.png

Lads, ye have really done a wonderful thing.
    The work done by the team up there, is something that never crosses your mind until you need their help.

My son and I lost his mam 13yrs ago, he was just 3 and I thought for the longest time that we had done everything right and were coping ok.
    Then in 2014, we lost my own mother and it really brought the loss back to the fore for him.
    His nana was the woman in his life and it was as if he'd lost both all over again because 1st time around he just ploughed on not knowing what was going on.
    Whereas this time, he knew what was lost and that he'd lost it twice.

The team in the Children's Grief centre really helped him recognise his loss and process his feelings and learn to cope in a way far beyond what I could do for him.

The above, was in all honesty typed through dirty tears of gratitude.
    Every single one of ye, are diamonds, the very best of people!
    And aside from the donations, my wife looked at my messy face and brought me coffee in bed :D
    She never does that ;)

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Well after reading that I had to make a small donation too, throw my name in the hat for the yellow invicta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That looks like a very worthwhile cause, so a donation from me also (no need to enter me into draw though thanks; I need to thin down the collection as it is)

The Green Invicta is currently wending its way to its new owner and will be with them tmrw :)

I just want to take a moment to reiterate my and my son's thanks for everyone who donated.
    This little threads act of spontaneous generosity that started as a single poster and snowballed!
    0n the part of many posters, both on thread and via PM has seen @€;500 raised for the Children's Grief centre.

That is up to 20hrs of therapy and support for kids left bereft.

Thank ye all so much!
    I look forward to the raffle on the 15th for the yellow.

PS: Ye are all bloody legends!