Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small PV - - For testing/learning

Options
  • 29-09-2020 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Have read a few treads but am 100% a newbie when it comes to PV stuff

In a year or 2, we plan to get a proper group to get PV's installed on our home but in the meantime, I just want to tinker away - as cheap as possible (family happy) to learn more(me happy)

I bought 2 panels (275W each) and will be installing both on a wall (understand not on the roof so not the best, but easier and something I can do for now)

Question
    Thinking of getting the TSUN Ess 600W dual-panel microinverters...seems a good price at present (140ish) and an AC Breaker

With these microinverters, would you just attach to the AC grid and monitor from there?

Cheers again
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't know that micro inverter but yes, if that conforms to the standards here (and has anti islanding) then that is by far the cheapest and easiest way to shave some money of your electricity bill (low hanging fruits!) and start learning

It's how I started too. I'm warning you though. This stuff is addictive and as you will see how well it works, how cheap it is, you will get convinced we should all do this for our wallet and for our planet and you will want more and more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

unkel wrote: »
    I don't know that micro inverter but yes, if that conforms to the standards here (and has anti islanding) then that is by far the cheapest and easiest way to shave some money of your electricity bill (low hanging fruits!) and start learning

It's how I started too. I'm warning you though. This stuff is addictive and as you will see how well it works, how cheap it is, you will get convinced we should all do this for our wallet and for our planet and you will want more and more :)

Cheers unkel

Good stuff, will enjoy messing around with this
    Learn a bit and like you say, save money down the line
    we are a 2 EV family (24L and i3) so hopefully in a few years will be in a situation where we have a proper PV system..

Cheers again

If you buy the hardware well and do the install DIY then you don't save money down the line, you start saving instantly with a zero pay back time. That's what happened to me, I sold my first system after a year or so (when I upgraded) and I got more for the panels and the inverter than they cost me. So every single kWh that system generated was a pure saving for me

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Interested in the same approach as well. @unkel can you recommend some to buy solar panels?

Regards

HI Slayer

unkel will know more -- for me, these are the folks I got bits from

https://solartricity.ie/micro-inverters-from-talesun/

https://midsummer.ie/buy/trina

• Advertisement

Those panels are very cheap. But they are old stock, several years old, low output and they are poly panels which makes them very inefficient. Still they are very cheap :-)

Grand for an initial low cost system

Mind with VAT and delivery they are over €100. Not such a good deal any more...

Agree

I was passing Dublin a few weeks back and popped into them while I was there for the panels so did not have to pay for delivery which made it better. Nice folks to deal with to boot

Good panel to mess with for now - - will be nice to see what I can get out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

Is it legal to just connect in a couple of panels like suggested?

Presume need to notify esb ?

Advertisement