Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charlesland closing December 31st

• 29-09-2020 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

Sad to see another course closing but think the writing was on the wall for some time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

€1800 odd a year was always a bit of a stretch for a fairly average course though.
    For me, it's near the bottom of the pile of local courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Skyfloater wrote: »
    €1800 odd a year was always a bit of a stretch for a fairly average course though.
    For me, it's near the bottom of the pile of local courses.
    That's far too much for there. More expensive than Druids Heath if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Not surprised really

Some threads on this forum where lads at different clubs were looking for refunds or stopping monthly payments as they could not play.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

This was on the cards for a long time I believe. Was always destined for housing development.

Tough on members who have been there from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

It's a shame. I used to be a junior member. My dad is still a member and he is gutted. It's been sort of coming, but this news was very sudden and a shock to them all. It's a lovely group of members there, but now they have no idea what they will do. He's known loads of them for 27 years, and now they have no idea if they will all go their separate ways or try to get in somewhere as a group.

Not a nice thing to happen any club.

Anyone know how many members there are?

Anyone know how many members there are?
    According to gogolfing.ie 583 members. The info on that site is generally provided by the clubs themselves, but not sure how up to date it is.

Even though the area is particularly well served with golf courses, that's a lot. They could transform Roundwood if they went up there en mass.

Even though the area is particularly well served with golf courses, that's a lot. They could transform Roundwood if they went up there en mass.
    Is that Djouce golf club? Afaik, it's only a 9 hole course, but the sub is very reasonable at about €700 a year.

Just thinking that that's now two clubs in the general area that have closed in the last few years. Glen of the Downs and now Charlesland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

prawnsambo wrote:
    Is that Djouce golf club? Afaik, it's only a 9 hole course, but the sub is very reasonable at about €700 a year.

Roundwood is a different club.

First Up wrote: »
    Roundwood is a different club.
    Is that still open?

No bookings available, no opens on GolfNet. Facepalm page not updated since 2015 and their website not updated since 2017. On the other side of the coin, it did get rated for WHS.

Djouce has gone back to meadow. It's strange that as the population of north east Wicklow has increased over the last decade or so, we have lost Glen of the Downs, Kilcoole, Glencullen, Djouce and now Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I recently played roundwood a few weeks ago and got a booking on a saturday for 3 fourballs through tee times. Had never played it before, but the place is in massive need of some investment. Never experienced greens as bad - completely overgrown and covered in sand. Saying that, there were some decent holes if it was tidied up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

frink wrote: »
    This was on the cards for a long time I believe. Was always destined for housing development.

you may be right eventually, but it's not zoned for development and is unlikely to be rezoned in the near future. The Evans' who own the land (and have taken this decision) are already millionaires from the sale of the rest of their land at Charlesland 20 years ago.

The area was over-saturated with golf courses - Kilcoole, GotD and now Charlesland have all closed in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Shame to see another Wicklow club close. The last I heard, Roundwood was also in difficulty but an influx of new members might help them. They gave walkovers to all of their opponents in Inter-Club fixtures this year.

We could take a few at Wicklow Golf Club but we are getting close to capacity so couldn't cater for a large group.

I recently played roundwood a few weeks ago and got a booking on a saturday for 3 fourballs through tee times. Had never played it before, but the place is in massive need of some investment. Never experienced greens as bad - completely overgrown and covered in sand. Saying that, there were some decent holes if it was tidied up

I haven't played Roundwood for years so can't comment on its current condition. However it isn't unusual for courses to have their greens aerated and sanded at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Wouldn't fancy the drive up to Roundwood GC from the Newtown side on a regular basis tbh.

I haven't played Roundwood for years so can't comment on its current condition. However it isn't unusual for courses to have their greens aerated and sanded at this time of year.

Being straight up. They weren't aerated. Just poorly maintained from what we could see. It's a shame because it has potential

Being straight up. They weren't aerated. Just poorly maintained from what we could see. It's a shame because it has potential

Fair enough. It always seemed a shoestring operation. Did they ever finish the clubhouse?

Nice setting though.

• Advertisement

Only managed to see in the bar paying for the round. Didnt seem like too much was going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

Local gossip would indicate a developer purchased options on Charlesland many years ago. Even had land allocated out near Newcastle for relocation if needed.

High fees were intended to keep speculators away, and restrict any spread of a possible windfall for the current members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

whizbang wrote: »
    High fees were intended to keep speculators away, and restrict any spread of a possible windfall for the current members.

The members dont own anything so wouldnt be due anything

Carr run courses according to how the owners tell them (see Castleknock)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yea i believe this is in the pipeline for a long time
    if memory serves it did almost close once or twice in the past, maybe even did for a short period of time
    its not a bad course, some bland holes, some good holes, some silly ones, (index 1 brings to mind). greystones/charlesland/kilcoole/delgany has gotten huge over recent years. plenty of population for the course to survive. not sure i buy their "future of golf being uncertain" bull, but sure they are private so can do what they want.
    sad for the members
    SteM wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy the drive up to Roundwood GC from the Newtown side on a regular basis tbh.
    agree with this, it would be a weird move for members en mass to move to roundwood. can't see it happening.

without a doubt, the worst greens i even played on. they were not only awful, but weird. they were very spongy, it was like they were a bed of moss. not a bad layout, some class holes, some daft ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Seve OB wrote: »
    yea i believe this is in the pipeline for a long time
    if memory serves it did almost close once or twice in the past, maybe even did for a short period of time
    its not a bad course, some bland holes, some good holes, some silly ones, (index 1 brings to mind). greystones/charlesland/kilcoole/delgany has gotten huge over recent years. plenty of population for the course to survive. not sure i buy their "future of golf being uncertain" bull, but sure they are private so can do what they want.
    sad for the members

agree with this, it would be a weird move for members en mass to move to roundwood. can't see it happening.

without a doubt, the worst greens i even played on. they were not only awful, but weird. they were very spongy, it was like they were a bed of moss. not a bad layout, some class holes, some daft ones.

Think they lost the greens completely during the hot summer two years ago.

Seve OB wrote:

That would depend on the deal on offer. Ballinascorney moved to Oldfield and took the name with them. I'd be surprised if Roundwood wasn't exploring it.

That would depend on the deal on offer. Ballinascorney moved to Oldfield and took the name with them. I'd be surprised if Roundwood wasn't exploring it.
    It's not so long ago that Glen of the Downs closed. Members there scattered a bit, but a lot went to Druids Heath, some to Charlesland and the rest scattered around depending on where they lived. There aren't that many options left for anyone who lives locally to Greystones. There's Bray, Delgany, Druids and Old Conna all of which would probably not be capable of taking a large influx. Old Conna and Druids have entrance fees as well. After that you're travelling a bit if you exclude Roundwood.

As we're in the realms of idle speculation, GotD could still rise from the ashes. The new owners have planted a bit of forestry at the southern end, but that could be pulled easily. It all depends on organized the Charlesland members are. The odds are however, that they will just scatter.

As we're in the realms of idle speculation, GotD could still rise from the ashes. The new owners have planted a bit of forestry at the southern end, but that could be pulled easily. It all depends on organized the Charlesland members are. The odds are however, that they will just scatter.
    They had a very nice clubhouse, but the course itself was pretty meh. A lot of it felt like you were playing golf in a field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Reality is you will probably need over 600 members to make any course annually viable these days and that's before you look at paying off loans you borrow to build/upgrade/renew. The course is idle for nearly 4 years and the farmer owned all the machinery, so that wont come cheap. There's no doubt the greens, bunkers and fairways are full of weeds and the watering system beyond repair.

I wonder who bought the land at GotDs ? there was talk of the Evans family investing in it as they are friendly with the previous owner, but that was just speculation.

Advertisement