Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best toy Santa ever brought you

Options
  • 30-09-2020 7:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭

I’m on a full on memory lane of Christmas this year and thinking of the best toy that we got as kids. That you that you just couldn’t believe you got and spent hours playing with, that made Christmas for you.

Mine was a my little pony house, a massive thing, the likes of which I’d never seen, so many hours spent playing with it and discovering all the little places and spaces you could put things into. My mum still has it in the attic! I tell you Santa doesn’t make toys with that quality anymore.

So, what was your favourite toy from Santa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A pedal John deere with a loader and tanker, I didn't ask for it. It was a farm set I wanted so that stuff was in the living room then I went into the kitchen to see this shiny John deere. I used it every single day until the wheels broke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

He brought me an efelant who taught me to spell.

Never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Pedal tractor/loader. Loved the thing, spent hours digging and filling holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Mine was The Big Red Fun Bus :) Santa was having a tough time finding it so a neighbour who used to drive the length and breadth of Ireland in his truck helped him find it in some middle of nowhere town :D

I'd say it's in the attic in my parent's house...must root it out for my little fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Got a Raleigh night burner BMX one year when I just asked for a surprise. I wasn't expecting anything as expensive or hard to get as that (my folks wouldn't have had a lot of spare cash) and was blown away by it. I was on it pretty much every day for about 4 or 5 years. Loved that bike.
    I still remember the shock of opening the door & seeing it there. My folks were beaming at my delight which essentially made it the perfect gift.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Jelly bear I remember those! My friend had one and we used to love playing with it.

Mine was the sylvanian family barge. Hours of fun playing with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mine was a tie, I can't remember what my main present was that year but as part of my surprise that year, two of the things I vividly remember was getting a ring toss game and the Crystal Maze board game.

The ring toss game was so much fun and I was obsessed with the Crystal Maze as a child, so the board game blew my mind!

It just goes to show sometimes it's the surprise/simpler gifts that get remembered more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

as a young child I think it was either galvatron from transformers or snake mountain from masters of the universe, but as a teen I remember the pure elation of getting the first fifa game for the megadrive, my mom had convinced me she couldn't get it as it was sold out everywhere, I remember throwing an absolute wobbley that I wasn't going to be able to get it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Loughc wrote: »
    Mine was a tie, I can't remember what my main present was that year but as part of my surprise that year, two of the things I vividly remember was getting a ring toss game and the Crystal Maze board game.

The ring toss game was so much fun and I was obsessed with the Crystal Maze as a child, so the board game blew my mind!

It just goes to show sometimes it's the surprise/simpler gifts that get remembered more.

Man I used to love the crystal maze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Scalextric with JPS F1 Lotus cars, one white, one black.

Santa. Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    Mine was a tie....

Good to set the expectations low :D

The full Ireland rugby kit and rugby ball when I was about 5/6. I think I worn it, socks and all, every day for weeks. I remember getting in a strop because I wasn't allowed wear it to school when we back after the New Year. Would come straight home and put it on. Use to go out the back garden and throw/kick the ball with my Dad for ages.

Happy memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Either

MASK Boulder Hill - their base
    527884.jpg

or

Tyco Bandit remote control car - this thing was the business. So fast, went over anything. Turns out it didn't like ponds :o
    527885.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

Got my first Christmas present at 21 from my now wife , was an PS4 slim , still have it , she also gave me the first of my beautiful daughters 2 weeks before that. My family celebrated Christmas but I was adopted and wasn’t included in that

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Atari 2600. Sometime in the mid 1980s, with a load of games, and about four controllers. Santa you were the best fella ever back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Dognapper wrote: »
    My family celebrated Christmas but I was adopted and wasn’t included in that

That is so sad. Why anyone would exclude someone like that, it seems such a cold thing to do?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    That is so sad. Why anyone would exclude someone like that, it seems such a cold thing to do?

Beats me , some people are just not good people

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I didn't ask for it but one year I got a dog teddy, a massive golden retriever dog teddy and absolutely adored it. I'd say I got it about 30 years ago, I took care of it and still have it but only recently I saw it out in the kids treehouse soaking wet:rolleyes:

One year we travelled to my aunties in Galway for Christmas (from Donegal) and when we came back to Donegal a few days later I could not believe that Santa also left presents for us at home, this was amazing!! and not only that but it was a Mr. Frosty!! I was thrilled and now this year my own daughter is asking for a Mr.Frosty;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Was just going to say, the posts are lovely I can feel everyone’s joy at remembering their favourite toy, but Dognapper, your story broke my heart, how anyone could do that to a child is beyond me.

screamer wrote: »
    Was just going to say, the posts are lovely I can feel everyone’s joy at remembering their favourite toy, but Dognapper, your story broke my heart, how anyone could do that to a child is beyond me.

I say I was adopted because I don’t know the proper term for it , my uncle and his wife took me in when I was young and I kind of just stayed. They then proceeded to tell me for the next 10 years that they don’t want me there , if I wanted a son I would have had one where the words used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Amiga 600 with a game called silly putty.
    Brilliant.

Dognapper wrote: »
    I say I was adopted because I don’t know the proper term for it , my uncle and his wife took me in when I was young and I kind of just stayed. They then proceeded to tell me for the next 10 years that they don’t want me there , if I wanted a son I would have had one where the words used

:(

So sad to hear that. I know you will give great memories to your daughters.

TRS30 wrote: »
    :(

So sad to hear that. I know you will give great memories to your daughters.

I tend to go overboard now , but screw it I work hard to give them everything so I’ll buy whatever they want , or Santa Clause will . Hope you have a great Christmas 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

Big box of Lego

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I have two favourites if that’s allowed.

Armatron, a robotic arm that picked up and moved stuff using joysticks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armatron

Star Bird, sort of star wars rip off electronic spacecraft but I was always and still am a sci-fi fan so this was brill.

https://flashbak.com/fastest-ship-galaxy-remembering-milton-bradleys-star-bird-1978-58502/

I have both In their boxes along with some other of my toys in my attic, sometimes when I’m looking for something I’ll open their boxes and smell my Christmas memories over again.

Happy times !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Jude13 wrote: »
    Pedal tractor/loader. Loved the thing, spent hours digging and filling holes.

I can still hear my mother roaring at me to stop digging up the stones on the driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I can't choose, I have great memories of all of these, all at different ages I experienced them a crying doll some people actually thought it was a real baby
    ala carte kitchen toy, Benneton Barbie and my Barbie Caravan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I always wanted a bike coming from a poor enough broken family in the 80s ..... then one of the lads in school parents bought him a new bike and I asked my mum could I get his old one as I was so desperate.....

Anyway it was constantly breaking down , chain coming off , brakes rubbish.... this was during summer of that year ..

Then role on Christmas..... I came down christmas morning and there was feck all under tree!!!!! I was a bit gutted but as a 10/ 11 year old kind of knew it wasnt real anyway .. so I went to kitchen to make my mum a cup of tea as I often did and there she was!!!!!! Just resting up against the kitchen table .... a brand new red racer bike !!!! I was soooooo excited .... I dont think I got off it for what seemed like the rest of my childhood!!!!

To this day I still love bikes and moved here from Wales in 1999 after I cycled all around Ireland with tent/ sleeping bag on back and loved place so much.

I have 3 good bikes today and looking to buy myslef my 1st full carbon road bike in new year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

2 things a sherman tank it ran on tracks and was battery powered the tip of the gun use to flash red.
    Second was a garage for my cars
    My brother made it for Santa as money was scarce it's still in my mother's house.
    Wish I'd had brought it to Poland when I moved as my brother is no longer with us sadly he took his life last year.
    Positive I did bring my tank it will be 40 years old in two Christmas times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have 2, the Action Man Tank. I spent hours playing war in the house and garden.

TjMweAqEmX3TEbeO_NFbFLNdUUBgZOtd3cgcxda2JA9R5PIXOcY9zM-AVFeawAcseqwXMP968A-Z5g8Uv5hvR8LHd_aUxpAguLFmMuBHqkdSpLKbDcA94KZJsfQLkWVi_R1LxylRcn9P3X4wacmaCGdudaTJmXVg5R0

The other was my first computer, a ZX81 that you would spend hours coding a game and minutes playing as it was normally crap. I did love it though!

zx81_1.jpg

Advertisement