Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just because I'm a pedant. Turkey is not in the EEA.

The map is of EEA but you're point stands. Switzerland too wasn't a member of EEA

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, but the spirit of the map remains. It's a stark picture if you are a British Chancellor of the Exchequer. Or one that gives a crap.

wrong is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Just because I'm a pedant. Turkey is not in the EEA.

This is a map of the European Environment Agency members.
    I also thought it was an incorrect map of the European Economic Area at first until I searched for the original source. https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/figures/eea-member-countries-coverage

emanresu wrote: »
    This is a map of the European Environment Agency members.
    I also thought it was an incorrect map of the European Economic Area at first until I searched for the original source. https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/figures/eea-member-countries-coverage

hard to know what to believe. The EU think they are not members of the EEA

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/factsheets/en/sheet/169/the-european-economic-area-eea-switzerland-and-the-north
    Switzerland is a member of EFTA but does not take part in the EEA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Switzerland have not officially joined the EEA, They signed an agreement to but have not joined it yet. They held a referendum in 1992 and the Swiss electorate rejected it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Swiss_referendums. I find Swiss democracy fascinating.

Swiss European Economic Area referendum of 1992 results by Cantons
    Yes-votes
    No-votes

Swiss_EEA_membership_referendum_results_by_canton%2C_1992.png

swiss-cantons-engl.gif

Despite all this, all the real money in the EU is essentially fed through either Switzerland or Liechtenstein. Money likes money and from either country it gets to go everywhere. They own it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Switzerland have not officially joined the EEA, They signed an agreement to but have not joined it yet. They held a referendum in 1992 and the Swiss electorate rejected it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Swiss_referendums. I find Swiss democracy fascinating.

Swiss European Economic Area referendum of 1992 results by Cantons
    Yes-votes
    No-votes

Swiss_EEA_membership_referendum_results_by_canton%2C_1992.png
    Only in the map thread can you put together an argument in map form

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Only in the map thread can you put together an argument in map form

The French - German/Italian divide is ominous in this one. Plainly obvious that whilst Geneva wanted in both Zurich and Lugano did not.

As I said, Swiss politics is very intriguing and well worth a look into. It is almost tribal in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

As I said, Swiss politics is very intriguing and well worth a look into. It is almost tribal in nature.
    I keep meaning to read up on how the hell it's a country at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mikhail wrote: »
    I keep meaning to read up on how the hell it's a country at all.

Basically a load of mercenaries bandied together. It is a fascinating country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Map of the Irish State in terms of the relative size of the various Govt departments and agencies.

11417_y0uzq4nt1a2ovlzv.jpg

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Map of the Irish State in terms of the relative size of the various Govt departments and agencies.

Lovely map. What is with the Great Lakes however?

Are you sure it is not based on the United States?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

11417_y0uzq4nt1a2ovlzv.jpg

vmfr17oj32s11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Lovely map. What is with the Great Lakes however?

Are you sure it is not based on the United States?

Unless the United States has an Oireachtas as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

http://state.zero-g.ie/

Link to the full map website, very interesting

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Global electricity consumption per capita in Kilowatt Hours, 2018

11417_xxn6hb0rvmno575j.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Global electricity consumption per capita in Kilowatt Hours, 2018

11417_xxn6hb0rvmno575j.png

I presume that isn't domestic consumption alone and includes industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cnocbui wrote: »
    I presume that isn't domestic consumption alone and includes industry?
    It would be the whole economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Norway has a lot of aluminium production. which it can do cheaper than most thanks to plenty of Hydro. Middle East is pumping oil and gas, air conditioning and general over consumption.

Interesting that some countries are consuming 60-100 times more energy than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

KevRossi wrote: »
    Norway has a lot of aluminium production. which it can do cheaper than most thanks to plenty of Hydro. Middle East is pumping oil and gas, air conditioning and general over consumption.

Interesting that some countries are consuming 60-100 times more energy than others.

Norway also has other industries with high energy demand such as chemicals (e.g. fertilizer) and paper. Also the highest percentage of electrical cars of any country and a higher share of electricity based heating than most countries.

Note though that the map shows electricity specifically, not energy in general.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

aMfX8Kc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's almost as if it's a federal government of united states....

Seems more divided to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Nicely counterbalanced by the allocation of Representatives to Congress

Intentionally designed to try and force a system with compromise at it's core - with the Senate giving more power to individual states, and Congress giving more power by weight of population.

Worked well for most of the time, up until the last 20-30 years when entrenched "us and them" politics has taken hold.

1920px-2010_census_reapportionment.svg.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/2010_census_reapportionment.svg/1920px-2010_census_reapportionment.svg.png

There seems to be some correlation between energy use and longevity:

Life-exp-energy.jpg

The map shows Australia as having a high energy footprint per capita, but I looked at a breakdown and domestic energy consumption makes up only about a tenth of the total.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

blackwhite wrote: »
    Nicely counterbalanced by the allocation of Representatives to Congress
    Countered, but not balanced. Take a look at the table here. Larger states are again underrepresented in the House of Representatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_Rule#Under_the_2010_U.S._Census

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Same could be said of the EU. This map is out of date with the UK, but you get the idea. Smaller countries get more reps per head of population to counterbalance all decisions being made for a small number of bigger countries.

meps-per-million.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^
    the differences are much more pronounced in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Same could be said of the EU. This map is out of date with the UK, but you get the idea. Smaller countries get more reps per head of population to counterbalance all decisions being made for a small number of bigger countries.

Is this formulaic and consistent for every country or have countries negotiated better ratios?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bodyhair_map_according_to_American_Journal_of_Physical_Anthropology_and_other_sources.jpg

Advertisement