Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two teenage boys assaulted in Dublin park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

francois wrote: »
    No, that's an opinion

No it's actually Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Absolute scum, should be rooted out and heavily punished. Reading that article it doesn't say which direction the racial attack was. I'm presuming it was white adults that attacked black teens otherwise its almost never reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

No, that's an opinion

Unfortunately it is more than an opinion. I live in Balbriggan and there have been numerous racial attacks that don't make the news local or national.

Unfortunately it is more than an opinion. I live in Balbriggan and there have been numerous racial attacks that don't make the news local or national.

It's quite a regular occurrence unfortunately across the country ,pure silence when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 33,141 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gatling wrote: »
    No it's actually Fact

If it's fact, then can you provide empirical documened evidence.

If you can;t, it's bull****.

Simple really.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

If it's fact, then can you provide empirical documened evidence.

Yes ,

Even to the point gardai won't even give descriptions of those involved in attacks and robbery against people on a regular basis

And it's comes up quite regularly and whenever someone speaks up the racist card gets played .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,141 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes ,

Even to the point gardai won't even give descriptions of those involved in attacks and robbery against people on a regular basis

And it's comes up quite regularly and whenever someone speaks up the racist card gets played .

That's not what you claimed was fact. Nor is it empricial evidence. Of anything.
    Actually no we would be told it never happened and absolutely no mention in media .

This is fact

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That's not what you claimed was fact.

I'm still saying it's fact .

Now the question can I be proved wrong you could try but I'm firmly believe you won't Have anything to dispute the claim

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Thread re-opened, I cleaned up some posts and replaced the dublinlive link with the journal link, keep it civil please and stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Witcher wrote: »
    I asked where they confirmed it.

Have you a link?

New link in the OP has more details. Its not confirmed but being treated as a possibility.
    It’s understood it is being investigated as a possible racially-motivated incident.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/witness-appeal-assault-eamonn-ceannt-park-5215115-Sep2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If it was 2 white kids who were beaten up by 2 black adults, the tone of replies would be quite different.

if it was that way round the journal probably wouldn't have even run the story. I was wondering was there a colour or sexual orientation difference to the victims that they left the comments open and were so emotive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Whether it was racially motivated or not (and we have no evidence that it wasn't) fixating on the possibility that it wasn't, rather than the attack itself, is bizarre. Poor lads.

We would not be told that an attack on white lads by black lads "never happened". A difference in reporting approach yes but not outright denial.

Anything odd that 6/7 teenagers in park together and zero evidence it was racially motivated ,ok two lads got a few digs yet no videos or social media steams showing this attack .
    There wasn't just two lads enjoying a picnic lunch in the park as reported and soap boxed by the op.

if it was that way round the journal probably wouldn't have even run the story. I was wondering was there a colour or sexual orientation difference to the victims that they left the comments open and were so emotive about it.

Whats emotive about the article? Seems fairly straightforward reporting of the facts to me.

And where are you getting the idea that it wouldn't be reported if skin colours were reversed?

zero evidence it was racially motivated

Zero evidence it wasn't. If we're being fair here.
    There wasn't just two lads enjoying a picnic lunch in the park as reported and soap boxed by the op.

Zero evidence for that too.

Whats emotive about the article? Seems fairly straightforward reporting of the facts to me.

And where are you getting the idea that it wouldn't be reported if skin colours were reversed?

because young lads get digs every day in parks in bad areas. every Saturday night it happens, young lads getting beaten up by lads in their 20s for drug debts happens loads too (not saying this is what this was, just the beating part) , almost none of it is ever reported.

But the second the victim is a woman, black, gay, whatever... and its in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I would call it an attack, GBH, assault whatever. Racism should never come in to it really, sorry probably opened myself up for attack online now!

GBH is not in Irish Criminal Law

Zero evidence it wasn't. If we're being fair here.

Zero evidence for that too.

There has been multiple reports in the media where they said a group of lads were in the park when one was apparently assaulted and a second too .

So the media is wrong about what they were told happened or people on boards who are saying it was only two teenagers

because young lads get digs every day in parks in bad areas. every Saturday night it happens, young lads getting beaten up by lads in their 20s for drug debts happens loads too (not saying this is what this was, just the beating part) , almost none of it is ever reported.

That's not what you said though. You said if black guys attacked white guys, it wouldn't be reported. I haven't seen any evidence for this.
    But the second the victim is a woman, black, gay, whatever... and its in the papers.

Pretty sure they report crimes where white people are the victims too though. I can understand the view that it might not be racially motivated but crimes on white people being swept under the carpet is a bit far for me. The media were all over the white guy being attacked in Cork, in a suspected racial attack, earlier this year.

That's not what you said though. You said if black guys attacked white guys, it wouldn't be reported. I haven't seen any evidence for this.

Pretty sure they report crimes where white people are the victims too though. I can understand the view that it might not be racially motivated but crimes on white people being swept under the carpet is a bit far for me. The media were all over the white guy being attacked in Cork, in a suspected racial attack, earlier this year.

im genuinely interested to see this, for the media to label an attack on a white person as racially motivated would be something I've genuinely never seen in Ireland.

• Advertisement

There has been multiple reports in the media where they said a group of lads were in the park when one was apparently assaulted and a second too .

So the media is wrong about what they were told happened or people on boards who are saying it was only two teenagers

Since seeing The Journal article, which is much better than the original in the OP, I have seen the part about the 2 boys being with a group of friends so thats fair enough. It doesn't make it more or less likely that it was just some scumbags who wanted to attack a couple of black kids though.

I appreciate questioning things but your posts suggest you know more about it than the little that has been reported. As I said earlier, the facts will come out but I would hold off on dismissing what Gardaí have mentioned as a possible motive until then.

im genuinely interested to see this, for the media to label an attack on a white person as racially motivated would be something I've genuinely never seen in Ireland.

Actually how many threads have you seen on here where posters were being told it wasn't happening ,gangs based on LA and London street gangs running amok across the country attacking other teens and hospitalising them in violent robberies and yet nothing in the media and being told on here it's not happening it's just people being racist on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Saw a number of comments in the Facebook posts on the journal article and buzz.ie from people saying it was not racially motivated it was following on from an incident that happened in school.

Unfortunately no further details given.

Saw a number of comments in the Facebook posts on the journal article and buzz.ie from people saying it was not racially motivated it was following on from an incident that happened in school.

Unfortunately no further details given.

That's very vague, Katie. What were the lads in their 20's doing in school? It may or may not be racially motivated but it is being treated as such by the Gardaí so I'd take anything on FB with a pinch of salt for the moment. Actually, always. Always take FB with a large pinch of salt.

That's very vague, Katie. What were the lads in their 20's doing in school? It may or may not be racially motivated but it is being treated as such by the Gardaí so I'd take anything on FB with a pinch of salt for the moment. Actually, always. Always take FB with a large pinch of salt.

could I have a link to the anti-white racially motivated incident in cork ? genuinely interested in reading about it.

could I have a link to the anti-white racially motivated incident in cork ? genuinely interested in reading about it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-31003902.html

It was discussed at the time on the George Floyd thread so more links will be shared there (as well as videos) and was labelled as a racial attack by some. "Anti-white racially motivated incident" are your words. I said "suspected racial attack". You'll get more evocative reporting on the far-right websites but I'm not going trawling there for you.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-31003902.html

It was discussed at the time on the George Floyd thread so more links will be shared there (as well as videos) and was labelled as a racial attack by some. "Anti-white racially motivated incident" are your words. I said "suspected racial attack". You'll get more evocative reporting on the far-right websites but I'm not going trawling there for you.

By that account there is no mention of race related attack

By that account there is no mention of race related attack

Correct. It is mentioned on others, as I've said. I'm hardly going through the George Floyd thread to link to the ones that were shared at the time. Eric's point was that black on white attacks are never reported, that's incorrect. If you wanted to find others, you could but that wouldn't suit the narrative.

maybe it was some sort of vigilante stuff

Although new info appears to have been shared, from initially reading the article, this was my first line of thought, I must admit.

"The two boys were with a number of friends.. when they were approached by three adult males

I thought maybe the 3 adults had had enough with an anti-social group and gave a hiding to them.

Would have been great if that was what actually happened. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Although new info appears to have been shared, from initially reading the article, this was my first line of thought, I must admit.

I thought maybe the 3 adults had had enough with an anti-social group and gave a hiding to them.

Would have been great if that was what actually happened. :o

Not sure if you meant it that way but that post reads as one of the most racist things I've seen here for a long time.

Advertisement