Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diagnostics/scanning tools - what/how/which

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

cheap readers will only read/clear "open" ODB codes & data that manufactures have to allow access to by law, mostly engine / emissions - if that all your after 20 euro one will do with various fee apps such as "torque"

next level up will allow you to access more systems like airbags, ABS etc, (need to carefully check spec)and some manufacturer codes normally 100-400 range

professional level will read data and codes on all systems, plus will allow you to active various systems for testing, run special functions etc, sky is the limit but can be had for 500 up

carly (model specific) Autel and Launch are good new options in the "above 20 euro" range, or you can be into a good used snapon reader for 500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Can anyone reccomend an android mobile app that can read Ford Focus ABS module error codes or even just read / display the wheel sensor data ?

I'm using a bluetooth OBDII adapter (https://xtrons.com/catalog/product/view/id/901/s/obd-ii-scanner-tool-obd01/). I usually use Torque and find it good but it doesn't read ABS fault codes and neither do any of the several other apps I've tried.

Depending on model forscan on a windows pc with a USB to ODB adapter with a cable (10 euro) may be able to do this. Forscan is free (mostly) and is a DIY effort for nearly new Mazda and ford cars with odb. Look up your specific car to see if someone has got it to work before. I have programmed additional keys, DPF tests and resets etc.

https://forscan.org/

Its not exactly simple, but is cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Airbag warning light on in a VW Polo 1.2L petrol
    OBD reader needed to diagnose and reset.

Any recommendations for a suitable DIY unit that will do this job but also have functionality that might be useful on other likely jobs or other cars in the family.

It seems I need OBDII standard. I don't think I need real-time readings, data plotting or printing.
    More inclined to a self-contained unit than a bluetooth-ed plug and downloaded software.

I'm considering this reader (€29) in Mick's Garage and I see stacks of them for sale on Adverts.
    Some advice/recommendations welcome. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

I don't think seat belt faults are part of a OBD standard.

that basic reader will not read airbag / restraint system codes

• Advertisement

Thanks. Seat belt faults? Didn't know that was a possibility.
    I was thinking the likely culprits were: seat/steering wheel connections or disable key-switch. All the more reason to get the right diagnostic.

I'll do some more searching. Any suggestions still welcome.

[Edit]
    Looking at that very helpful youtube video posted earlier and a related website. Hard to justify £115 for a unit with the diagnostic facilty.
    But I found a youtube video of a cheapo unit (U281) that did reset the airbag light - on a Polo. Tempting...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 corollake35

Hi all, I'm looking for a recommendation for an OBD2 scanner / reader that will definitely work on a 2011 opel insignia 2.0 diesel. Something like the Autophix OM123 which I seen being used on YouTube but cannot locate in Ireland. Ideally something cheap €20-€40. I have a reader already, but refuses to read insignia. Any help appreciated. Oh, and I'd like to purchase in Ireland if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Is there likely to be an issue if I use this to erase a code? The code relates to the EGR system.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 corollake35

Can't say for sure, but when I delete the fault code, it doesn't do damage, but it will reappear if the fault isn't fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

It's similar to clicking a dismiss warning on a PC telling you that you need to reboot or something
    It will sometimes clear it for a while, some codes will come up almost instantly again (lambda sensor on a Fiat Punto)
    In my own experience, with an EGR warning on a Passat diesel, it used to clear it for a day, maybe two, then would pop up again until like @corollake35 says, the EGR issue is actually fixed and then once cleared, it stays gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Anyone recommend a scan tool that does manufacturer as well as OBD engine fault codes and reset oil change on an Opel Vivaro 2ltr diesel. I'd appreciate someone that is certain from personal experience about what works rather then a good guess what might.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hi all,
    Could someone point me in the right direction for a fault code reader for a 2006 Toyota Landcruiser 3.0 D4D please.
    Thanks

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BavarianCare

Airbag warning light on in a VW Polo 1.2L petrol
    OBD reader needed to diagnose and reset.

Any recommendations for a suitable DIY unit that will do this job but also have functionality that might be useful on other likely jobs or other cars in the family.

It seems I need OBDII standard. I don't think I need real-time readings, data plotting or printing.
    More inclined to a self-contained unit than a bluetooth-ed plug and downloaded software.

I'm considering this reader (€29) in Mick's Garage and I see stacks of them for sale on Adverts.
    Some advice/recommendations welcome. Thanks.

The pro level tool is available for DIY price but limited to number of VINs.
    There is nothing that compares to VCDS. Nothing except Odis

I opted to ask a local gge reset it - but the light came on again immediately.
    Error was driver's seat circuit open circuit. Now diagnosed as faulty ABS ECU unit.
    (Almost four weeks later the saga still continues. Might need to start a new thread for advice.)

Its a big jump from a driver's seat circuit code to faulty abs unit, but not impossible, hopefully that sorts for you. Codes only give you pointers to the real problem.

cena wrote: »

Carly is good system, also does option coding which is rare in most other systems, its model specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

scannerd wrote: »
    Carly is good system, also does option coding which is rare in most other systems, its model specific.

Seems to have loads of poor reviews on the Google Play page, mainly to do with the subscription model, which looks to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Turns out its more complicated than I thought.

rosstech h\ve them for sale on their site and list an Irish agent, who only lists pro version on their site.

Done deal and adverts full of adds for very cheap cables. Actually bought one came supplied with the software a very genuine looking cable that's marked as a hex-v2 but software recognises as an obsolete hex-usb-can that wont work on my car.

contacted seller who told me I should have installed a cracked loader and put on a dedicated laptop with no antivirus or internet connection.

it's gone in the bin and written off as a lesson learnt..

I'm looking for an enthusiast cable, 3 vins is fine, just to play around with and learn.. Also happy to buy a second hand genuine cable.

Any reputable sellers recommended ?/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

knipex wrote: »
    Turns out its more complicated than I thought.

rosstech h\ve them for sale on their site and list an Irish agent, who only lists pro version on their site.

Done deal and adverts full of adds for very cheap cables. Actually bought one came supplied with the software a very genuine looking cable that's marked as a hex-v2 but software recognises as an obsolete hex-usb-can that wont work on my car.

contacted seller who told me I should have installed a cracked loader and put on a dedicated laptop with no antivirus or internet connection.

it's gone in the bin and written off as a lesson learnt..

I'm looking for an enthusiast cable, 3 vins is fine, just to play around with and learn.. Also happy to buy a second hand genuine cable.

Any reputable sellers recommended ?/
    search "handythings" on adverts, i used them - no issues
    Have no need to use but they claim providing some support
    Don't update, and antivirus need to be disabled during install or exclusion
    If want genuine - go directly to RossTech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

No internet connection lol Ross tech update VCDS at least once a month so it would be quickly out of date. I know they are more expensive but it's worth trying to get a new or second hand one with unlimited VINS as they will hold value pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I purchased 3 different clone cables over the years and they were all useless if I had purchased the genuine one first day I'd still have it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Whocare

Got one on Ebay had no problem with it did what I wanted it to do rear brake ect cost like 40 euros delivered. I think it standard practice to have internet security turn off when set it up plus it say have laptop on airplane mode anytime you use it .plus unlimited vin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Whocare

tossy wrote: »
    No internet connection lol Ross tech update VCDS at least once a month so it would be quickly out of date. I know they are more expensive but it's worth trying to get a new or second hand one with unlimited VINS as they will hold value pretty well.

If only DIY use do it really matter about update if you can get one for less than 50 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Be warned VW have a new system now for making coding changes, adjustments etc that requires a connection to VW servers and a token. Rosstech haven't integrated yet (no aftermarket has fully) so coding newer cars (mid 2019 -) will be impossible. May be prudent to wait until its solved in case it needs new hardware. Normal code reading will still be possible.

Most brands going that way with coding and option changes - have to be connected to mothership with factory or high end box. Diagnostic codes / functions only via stand alone aftermarket scanners. Subscription model will soon take over where you pay per month to have certain options turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

scannerd wrote: »
    Most brands going that way with coding and option changes - have to be connected to mothership with factory or high end box. Diagnostic codes / functions only via stand alone aftermarket scanners. Subscription model will soon take over where you pay per month to have certain options turned on.

100% correct. And to thwart any attempts at "reverse engineering" dealer level scan tools, several marques have ported their diagnostic software to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

As per title – can someone recommend me a good OBD2 app?

I have just replaced the multifunction buttons the steering wheel of my 2014 Octavia vrs after the scroll wheels (on both sides) fell apart. To do so, I needed to disconnect the battery….. and knew this would then cause error messages after I reconnected it. I’m now getting auto start stop / tyre pressure moinitor etc not working.

However, the OBD2 app I have is called ‘OBD2 car doctor’ and it’s not picking up any errors when I connected to it. I’ve also tried ‘scan master’ without any joy either.

Both of these are on an android tablet – as my iOS devices fail to connect to the (Bluetooth) OBD2 device??

Willing to buy a 'pro' version of the right app if needed.
    Or do I need to get to a mechanic with proper software tools?

In case anyone else needs to do it also - I followed this tutorial. It’s for a Golf Mk7 but all the key stuff is identical
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-LwAcgn9c

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I've only lightly used Torque but paid for pro version to support them. Never tried clearing codes just reading them. But they're a well known obd app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Ive used Torque for years, its great for the live data but doesn't always read all the fault codes in my experience. It picks up some of them.

I got the carly adapter and this seems to be much better at reading and clearing faults, but its quite expensive, €60 euro a year subscription, and about €60 for the adapter.

https://app.mycarly.com/en/result/?c=IE&b=vag&n=Skoda

Advertisement