Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use those e-scooters?

Options
  • 28-09-2020 11:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I see a bunch of people zipping around Dublin on them now, often times with a suit, tie and satchel, real corporate.

i.e. they seem to be becoming a legit form of transport.

Anyone use them? I see commuters travelling at decent speeds on them also as in, if I was pedaling furiously on muh bicycle, similar enough speed to that.

I'm sure they're not cheap also though.

But, I'm considering commute times from Belfield to Inchicore - a legit 10 K.

Might be more manageable on an e-scooter than conventional pedal bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Tried out the Kaiser Bass Revo (€599) and it was alright, but not good enough to make me part with my money.

Xiaomi M365 seems to be the popular choice, selling for just €400 last time I checked the price (pre-covid).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

10k is nothing on a bicycle. 30 minutes at a very sedate pace.

e-scooters are fine and any alternative to the car should be promoted. The lack of official regulation around them and the appalling behaviour of their users is fast making them the most hated road user though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Until a guard having a bad day sees one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Thought about buying one, but wouldn't take the chance of being done for no insurance/tax/registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

No. Getting squashed on an E-Scooter isn't how I want to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm a hipster so I only travel on a unicycle?

That wasn't a question but I added a question mark because I also do that thing where I raise my tone at the end of every sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We got one for the missus to get college and when I need the car for work ,
    There hand things for zipping around , hopefully we get a sensible legislation around their use ,

2 stopped by one over zealous guard in rathmines out of thousands of them being used daily

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I see a bunch of people zipping around Dublin on them now, often times with a suit, tie and satchel, real corporate.

Anyone use them? I see commuters travelling at decent speeds on them also as in, if I was pedaling furiously on muh bicycle, similar enough speed to that.

I'm sure they're not cheap also though.

But, I'm considering commute times from Belfield to Inchicore - a legit 10 K.

Might be more manageable on an e-scooter than conventional pedal bike.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gardaí-investigating-meath-death-not-looking-for-another-person-or-vehicle-1.4366427

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Thought about buying one, but wouldn't take the chance of being done for no insurance/tax/registration.

I can't imagine any of those things are necessary, are they?

seamus wrote: »

e-scooters are fine and any alternative to the car should be promoted. The lack of official regulation around them and the appalling behaviour of their users is fast making them the most hated road user though.

Bicycle lanes are coming into practice more and more around Dublin now however, and their use is confined to said lanes as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement

Not when one must do it 2x/day every day with bogus cycle infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They offer very little control in the rain and you will go on your ear in the wet. Majority of models have little to zero suspension so any hole will send you on your ear.

We had a guy first day in the office earlier this year , arrived in on his first day broke his collar bone outside the office door. Lucky he had a helmet on or he may not have made it to his new job either.

I can't imagine any of those things are necessary, are they?

Apparently they come under mpv but no license plate can't be taxed and insured .and no need for a license to use one either

Thousands of them being used daily across the country and so far only two people stopped by a single guard who are awaiting directions from a court to see if laws were actually broken

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No. Getting squashed on an E-Scooter isn't how I want to check out.

Wait till you hear about car crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bicycle lanes are coming into practice more and more around Dublin now however, and their use is confined to said lanes as far as I'm aware.
    No, e-scooters are not allowed on cycle lanes, and definitely not on paths. They must only be used on the road.

I would have no general issue with them being allowed to use cycle tracks/lanes provided that they're speed limited to 25km/h.

No, e-scooters are not allowed on cycle lanes, and definitely not on paths. They must only be used on the road.

I would have no general issue with them being allowed to use cycle tracks/lanes provided that they're speed limited to 25km/h.

Pffff, sounds like a job for Eamon Ryan.

Someone get on the blower;

And by the blower I mean - twitter.

They're not allowed on the road either, unless they have motor tax and insurance, neither of which are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Wasn't there an accident in Meath at the weekend, because of one of these scooters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

If your too lazy to cycle or too cheap to pay motor tax get off the road, :pac:.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hated by cyclists, pedestrians AND motorists. Quite an achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If your too lazy to cycle or too cheap to pay motor tax get off the road, :pac:.

There should be zero cars in the city tbf

Speak for yourself.

Cyclists are just jealous people are getting more use out of cycle lanes with are empty 98% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Wasn't there an accident in Meath at the weekend, because of one of these scooters?

Yes there was a guy killed on one the other night. Was also talking to a lad from Blanch last week who bought one for commuting to Lucan on. Proudly told me it would do 45 km/h.
    Not a road I'd like to be using one on. He also told me he couldn't drive so I doubt he will have much knowledge of the rules of the road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/09/26/news/irish-news/meath-hit-and-run/amp

Yes there was a guy killed on one the other night. Was also talking to a lad from Blanch last week who bought one for commuting to Lucan on. Proudly told me it would do 45 km/h.
    Not a road I'd like to be using one on. He also told me he couldn't drive so I doubt he will have much knowledge of the rules of the road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/09/26/news/irish-news/meath-hit-and-run/amp

45 km/h?

Dayum - if he can commute to Lucan I can definitely commute from Belfield to Inchicore.

He didn't happen to mention the e-scooter brand and price?

If these were confined to bike paths I don't see a problem.

Using them on roads alongside cars is insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

No he didn't mention a brand or what type. He hadn't used it yet.i just happened to be talking to him on a training day so I doubt I'll ever see him again.
    Also the link i posted is about the lad killed in Meath at the weekend.

edit;I didn't say he could commute that journey just that it was his plan. Personally I can't see it coming to fruition in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gatling wrote: »
    Cyclists are just jealous people are getting more use out of cycle lanes with are empty 98% of the time

As someone who cycles a bit i think they're great. Anything that takes cars off the road should be encouraged. From my experience they just seem to be used on the roads responsibly, normal people going to work etc.

Speak for yourself, and what appalling behaviour? I've never heard of them harming anyone (apart from that incident the other night) or witnessed it myself.

Gatling wrote: »

In fairness they're usually full of parked cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They were pretty handy when going for lunch was a thing and you didn't have much time, scan the app, zip across town and back again after.

Advertisement