Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sandman [Netflix]

• 13-11-2019 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

https://geektyrant.com/news/neil-gaiman-is-working-on-the-first-two-seasons-of-netflixs-the-sandman-series

Neil Gaiman is Working on The First Two Seasons of Netflix's THE SANDMAN Series

A few months ago we learned that Neil Gaiman was teaming up with David Goyer (Man of Steel, Dark Knight Trilogy) to produce a series adaptation of The Sandman for Netflix. A lot of fans were excited about this, especially after New Line Cinema failed to get a film adaptation into production.

Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman, The Catch, Grey's Anatomy) is writing the show and will also serve as showrunner. It’s said that this is a massive financial deal with Warner Bros. Television. It was also explained that the deal is “the most expensive TV series that DC Entertainment has ever done.”

We haven’t really heard any news since that initial announcement but during a recent interview with Radio Times Gaiman offered an update and revealed that he’s working on the first two seasons of the series:

“There are three of us, showrunner Heinberg, Goyer and me, and we’ve just finished writing the first episode, and plotting and breaking down the first two seasons, so we’ll see what happens next.”

We already knew that the first season would consist of eleven episodes, but we didn’t know that they were working on a second season! I guess they’re excited about what they’ve got so far and have the hopes of keeping the series going past a single season.

The Sandman comic series was originally created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. But it wasn't until Gaiman came along and gave us his version of the comic that it really exploded. The 75+ issue comic arc ran from January of 1989 to March of 1996.

The story focuses on Morpheus, the Lord of the Dreaming, a deity who personifies dreams. Gaiman also introduced the Endless, a group of powerful brothers and sisters named Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire, and Delirium (as well as Dream).
    Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I can't wait to see this. Definitely my favourite comic book. Netflix is the perfect home for this as the world that Gaiman created needs a big budget and not much interference from execs.

Even thinking how they are going to cast The Endless, makes my head spin....

I have been reading Neil Gaimans journal for as long as he had one online. many years ago he used to blog with it daily, and it was a source of many interesting things on the web, that are suggested by his fans...
    http://journal.neilgaiman.com

this entry from sept 9th this year had a little bit about The Sandman tv series...

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/search/label/sandman%20tv

I stopped blogging in April when my friend Gene Wolfe died. I wanted to write a blog about Gene, who he was, how we were friends, and it just made me too sad.

So I stopped writing that blog, and then felt bad writing about the other things that have happened, like Good Omens coming out as a TV series when I hadn't yet written about Gene.

I miss him still, and kept wanting to send him postcards over the last few months, just as I usually did when I travelled. And then I remember I can't send Gene things any longer.

So Gene went, before I could show him the TV adaptation we made of Good Omens, which had been a book he loved.

It came out on Prime Video May 31st, and people loved it. It broke several records for Amazon, in the US and the UK and around the world, which made me happy. We got three Emmy Nominations, and already started being nominated for and winning awards. Everyone wants us to make some more, and while Terry Pratchett and I had long ago plotted out a whole novel's worth of More, I'm still figuring out whether or not and if so how it could happen.

Then it was announced that Netflix had won the bidding war to be the company that brought Sandman to television. I'm Very Involved in making it -- I'll be cowriting the pilot episode, and working closely with Exec Producer David Goyer and Showrunner Allan Heinberg to make sure it's always Sandman, the one that people who read and loved the comics will recognise and love.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I said a few months ago in the Lucifer thread when this was first announced I wonder will they do a crossover to finish up Lucifer and start The Sandman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I doubt it as I would say they are going for something darker which wouldn't really tie in with the buddy cop Lucifer series

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-sandman-tv-series-for-netflix-will-have-a-more-modern-settting-says-neil-gaiman/

The Sandman TV series for Netflix will have a more modern setting, says Neil Gaiman

The tale of Dream and his siblings will take place closer to 2019 instead of the 1980s.

The Sandman comics, written by Neil Gaiman, often took place in the late '80s. But the upcoming Netflix TV series adaptation of the comics will be updated with a more modern setting, Gaiman revealed last week on CBC program Day 6.

The popular DC Comics series tells the story of the moody Lord of Dreams and his dysfunctional family members Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium.

"The idea is to stay faithful to Sandman, but to do it for now rather than making it a 1980s period piece," Gaiman said Friday on Day 6. He explained that the main character of Dream (also known as Morpheus) and his siblings will live in a version that takes place closer to 2019.

"In Sandman No. 1, there is a sleeping sickness that occurs because Morpheus, the Lord of Dreams, is captured in 1916, and in 1988 he escapes," Gaiman said. "Instead of him being a captive for about 80 years, he's going to be a captive for about 110 years and that will change things."

This isn't the first time Gaiman has mentioned that the new series will have a different time setting.

"I'm hoping we can make something on television that feels as personal and true as the best of the Sandman comics did. Just set 30 years later than Sandman the comic," Gaiman tweeted back in July when the show was first announced.

Morpheus' look will also evolve and change in the series just as it does in the comic books, Gaiman also revealed in the Day 6 interview.

Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman) will write and serve as showrunner on the series, while Gaiman will executive produce with David Goyer (Assassination Nation).

No word yet on when the series will debut or who might be part of the cast.

Netflix, DC Comics and Gaiman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Good Omens cancelled if so David Tennant is free :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good Omens was made as a one-and-done, so Tennant wouldn't be working on that anyway.

One of those lovely Sand Snakes from Game of thrones has auditioned as the part of death.... fingers crossed...

https://wikiofthrones.com/28967/game-of-thrones-actress-rosabell-sellers-tyene-sand-auditions-to-play-death-in-netflixs-sandman/

Lockdown permitting, this is due to start filming in 3 weeks....

• Advertisement

https://collider.com/the-sandman-netflix-dream-actor-tom-sturridge/

The Sandman creator Neil Gaiman recently revealed on Twitter that Netflix’s adaptation of his acclaimed comic will begin shooting in three weeks, and Collider has exclusively learned that Tom Sturridge is in talks to star.

The epic drama hails from Warner Bros. TV, and Netflix gave the series an 11-episode order. Production was delayed due to the pandemic, which gave Gaiman and his co-writers time to get the scripts into the best shape possible. Gaiman is executive producing with David S. Goyer (Batman Begins) and writer/showrunner Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman).

Sandman‘s original 75-issue run followed the adventures of Dream — who is also known as Morpheus and Sandman — the lord of dreams who is part of a mysterious group of immortal beings known as The Endless, who personify universal concepts such as death, desire, destiny, delirium, despair, and destruction, in addition to dream.

Sources say that Sturridge tested for the title role earlier this year along with Tom York (Poldark) and Colin Morgan (Merlin) before emerging victorious.

DC Comics’ Vertigo label published Sandman, and New Line originally eyed the iconic property for a feature adaptation that would’ve starred Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who was also slated to direct. Gordon-Levitt spent three years developing the movie before exiting due to creative differences.

Sturridge starred opposite Carey Mulligan in Far from the Madding Crowd and he recently starred in the Starz series Sweetbitter. He was recently seen in Dan Gilroy‘s Netflix movie Velvet Buzzsaw and he also played Lord Byron in Mary Shelley, as well as Ryan Gosling‘s brother in Terrence Malick‘s Song to Song. Other credits include Richard Curtis‘ Pirate Radio and Walter Salles‘ adaptation of On the Road. Sturridge is represented by WME, and representatives for the English actor declined comment, while Netflix did not respond to a request for comment.

To begin shooting in 3 weeks however they haven't the lead actor tied down yet and is still in talks with him.

That doesn't sound good to me.

Nope, not very promising... but Covid, yadda yadda yadda...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably there's plenty of shooting that wouldn't necessarily need the lead actor to be present; 3 weeks feels quite tight but I'd say it's manageable all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What would this show be about?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

I really hope they can get The Corinthian and The Cereal Convention

Protagonist face doesn't need to be on screen for a few episodes they just released the first story arc on audiobook would love that cast to be the TV but I'd love if Gaiman did a turn as one of the cast too maybe not the main but he should do a cameo.

AMKC wrote: »
    What would this show be about?

Sandman Graphic Novel by Neil Gaiman. Definitely worth a read but the show will draw you in quite quick if it's true to the source material Very entertaining story.

The Sandman started shooting today...

They are very hush hush about the casting still...

https://screenrant.com/sandman-show-dc-vertigo-filming-cast-announcement-netflix/

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Fairly sure that it's been confirmed that Tom Sturridge has been cast as Dream. Charles Dance is also involved in some capacity.

Charles Dance would be excellent as Lord Magus hope that's the role he got

• Advertisement

it is incredible really... only sturridge has been announced as Dream..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1751634/

this is an incredible story, with lots of fans around the world... hopefully, its just a case of introducing intrigue and avoiding online trolls...

Some Irish acting talent also involved in the cast.

Anyone hear or read anything about this? I can´t find anything online... shroud of secrecy....

I imagine like a lot of stuff ATM, if there was any shooting or production going on, it was halted for the pandemic.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I imagine like a lot of stuff ATM, if there was any shooting or production going on, it was halted for the pandemic.

The shoot started in October and is still ongoing. Most TV shoots have instituted covid-protocols that have allowed them to keep filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I find Netflix shows always seem to stay under wraps until they release official material.
    Was thinking the same about the Cowboy Bebop series and couldn't find any photos of that

Cast announcements

Sandman_Title.png?w=300

The Sandman: Game of Thrones' Gwendoline Christie and Charles Dance, Sweetbitter's Tom Sturridge Join Cast of Netflix's Neil Gaiman Adaptation
    Ladies, gentlemen, daydreams and nightmares, meet your Morpheus.

Tom Sturridge (Sweetbitter) has nabbed the title role in Netflix’s series adaptation of The Sandman, TVLine has learned.

Sturridge will play Dream, Lord of the Dreaming. In the Neil Gaiman DC graphic novels on which the series is based, Dream oversees the realm that mortals visit when they sleep, and he is known by many names, including Morpheus.

Netflix is calling the series “a rich blend of modern myth and dark fantasy in which contemporary fiction, historical drama and legend are seamlessly interwoven.” The Sandman will follow Dream — as well as those who’ve been affected by him — as he goes about putting right the mistakes he’s made during his very long existence.

The Sandman‘s cast also will include Game of Thrones alumni Gwendoline Christie and Charles Dance, as well as stars from Narcos and The Witches. Read on for character details:

* Christie will play Lucifer, the ruler of Hell. (Fun fact #1: The character of Lucifer Morningstar, as created by Gaiman, was the basis for the lead character in Fox-and-then-Netflix’s Lucifer.)

* Vivienne Acheampong (The Witches) will play Lucienne, the chief librarian of Dream’s realm, and one of his most trusted associates. (Fun fact #2: Like Hinzelmann on Starz adaptation of Gaiman’s American Gods, both Lucienne — aka Lucien — and Lucifer are male in the source material.)

* Dance will play Roderick Burgess, a “charlatan, blackmailer and magician,” per the official character description, whose nefarious dealings in the comics kick the entire story into motion.

* Boyd Holbrook (Narcos, The Fugitive) will play The Corinthian, “an escaped nightmare who wishes to taste all that the world has in store,” per the description.

* Asim Chaudhry (Wonder Woman 1984) and Sanjeev Bhaskar (ITV’s Unforgotten) will play Abel, “the first victim,” and Cain, “the first predator,” respectively. Both characters reside in the Dream Realm.

“For the last 33 years, the Sandman characters have breathed and walked around and talked in my head. I’m unbelievably happy that now, finally, they get to step out of my head and into reality,” Gaiman said via statement. “I can’t wait until the people out there get to see what we’ve been seeing as Dream and the rest of them take flesh, and the flesh belongs to some of the finest actors out there. This is astonishing, and I’m so grateful to the actors and to all of The Sandman collaborators — Netflix, Warner Bros., DC, to [showrunner/executive producer] Allan Heinberg and [executive producer] David Goyer, and the legions of crafters and geniuses on the show — for making the wildest of all my dreams into reality.”

Netflix also gave fans a peek at the adaptation’s title treatment:

https://tvline.com/2021/01/28/the-sandman-gwendoline-christie-cast-season-1-netflix-neil-gaiman/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Charles Dance would be excellent as Lord Magus hope that's the role he got

Wow you actually callled it, great casting

Oh WoW..

* Boyd Holbrook (Narcos, The Fugitive) will play The Corinthian, “an escaped nightmare who wishes to taste all that the world has in store,” per the description.

that is prefect...

• Advertisement

I wonder are these peopel fans of the comic, who searched for the role?

Advertisement