Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Pop could have, and should have, been amazing but the production on it is horrific. I have read that it was really rushed but I forget why. The bones of the songs, particularly the first half, are great

I like Pop; their last great LP and the tour was deadly. Seems to have been bypassed in terms of super deluxe editions. So many remixes, B-Sides, single edits to anthologise

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I'm going to buy it myself - 9 disc edition, epic stuff!!

That’s what I went for although was tempted by the 13 LP set too. I bought the album on vinyl and CD on release day in 1987; it’s been a huge part of my life. The vault stuff on Spotify is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I like Pop; their last great LP and the tour was deadly. Seems to have been bypassed in terms of super deluxe editions. So many remixes, B-Sides, single edits to anthologise
    I love it, didn't mean otherwise. But I feel you have to put effort into hearing the songs as they're meant to be, if that makes sense. I'm sure there's much better mixes out there, I should investigate some time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pop could have, and should have, been amazing but the production on it is horrific. I have read that it was really rushed but I forget why. The bones of the songs, particularly the first half, are great

If ever an album deserved a remaster it is Pop. It just sits on the edge of greatness.

I love it, didn't mean otherwise. But I feel you have to put effort into hearing the songs as they're meant to be, if that makes sense. I'm sure there's much better mixes out there, I should investigate some time

I get you. It’s not immediate and if I had a choice, I’d swap out some versions. All That You Can’t Leave Behind is getting a 20th anniversary push in a few weeks, not half as good a record in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

27th 32 pts

Duran Duran
    Rio (1982)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/2/6
    Singles: My Own Way, Hungry Like The Wolf, Save A Prayer, Rio
    Nominated by Irish Aris, IAMAMORON, mr.fegelien
    The first songs recorded for Rio were demo recordings of "Last Chance on the Stairway", "My Own Way", "New Religion", "Hungry Like the Wolf", and "Like an Angel", all recorded at EMI's Manchester Square studio in August 1981,along with demos of "The Chauffeur", "Save a Prayer", and "Lonely in Your Nightmare" recorded by engineer Bob Lamb at his home studio.

"My Own Way" was originally released as a single in November 1981, with "Like an Angel" as the B-side. The single version had a production influenced by disco and American R&B. It was re-recorded for the album with a significantly different arrangement and production.The rest of the album was recorded in the early months of 1982 at Air Studios in London with producer and engineer Colin Thurston.

The band experimented with different sounds to record the album. On the song "Lonely in Your Nightmare" John Taylor plays fretless bass to give the bass a more melodic sound. The ballad "Save a Prayer" was built around a delicate and complex sequencer track. "New Religion" has been described as containing "a rapping, schizophrenic Le Bon in conversation with a funky rhythm section". The intense "Hold Back the Rain" was edited down from the original almost ten minute recording. "The Chauffeur" is an all electronic piece created by Nick Rhodes with lyrics and vocals by Simon Le Bon.

The recording of the album also included the use of various sound effects such as tapes played in reverse (the opening of "Rio"), the sound of ice cubes dropped into a glass and excerpts from a BBC recording of nature sounds ("The Chauffeur").

In 2000, Rio was ranked #98 in Q magazine's "100 Greatest British Albums". In 2003, it was listed at #65 in the NME "100 Greatest Albums of All Time". In 2004, CMJ ranked it as #1 in their "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1982". In 2008 it was ranked 24th best British album of all time in a joint HMV Q poll. It ranked #95 in Pitchfork's Top 100 Albums of the 1980s, and is included in the list 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

In April 2013, Rio was voted number 3 in BBC Radio 2's Top 100 Favourite Albums of all time.

Three decades later, bassist John Taylor still held the album in high regard. "The writing on Rio is fantastic, all out. Essential Duran Duran," he recalled in his 2012 memoir, In the Pleasure Groove. He also had high praise for the band's musicianship. "Every one of us is performing ... at the absolute peak of our talents," he wrote. "There is no showboating. Every part is thoughtful, considered, part of a greater whole."

Retrospective: Rio

On the iconic album art.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Also underrated but it's definitely grown more on the intervening years, Little Sister, EKTYI, I Never Came and In My Head are well regarded now for example moreso than most of EV.

I Never Came is a cracking song tbf.

Could never get into Lullabies really. Thought the songs were a bit pedestrian and lacking in dynamics. Everything sounded stodgy and brown to my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Reberetta wrote: »
    27th 32 pts

Duran Duran
    Rio (1982)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/2/6
    Singles: My Own Way, Hungry Like The Wolf, Save A Prayer, Rio
    Nominated by Irish Aris, IAMAMORON, mr.fegelien

Retrospective: Rio

On the iconic album art.

Ah, nice, I broke into the list, thanks to the 2 partners in crime.
    Duran Duran is my favourite band of all time - I am tempted to do a walrus category just for songs of theirs :).
    Classic album from start to finish - and The Chauffer one of the best songs they have ever recorded!

Rio is excellent; all killer bar My Own Way which is a bit flat (single mix much better)

Not a bad list so far- until Duran Duran arrived :D

Don’t suppose there’s any Miles Davis fans out there with Kind of Blue in their top 10?

You Pixies fans? I never listened to a Pixies album before so thanks, I’ll add them to my Spotify playlist- -really excited now to see the top 20 and see what’s what -hopefully Talking Heads will feature somewhere- considering how Tom Petty has already appeared I’ll live in hope

• Advertisement

26th 32 Pts

U2
    Joshua Tree (1987)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/1/1
    Singles: "With or Without You", "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", "Where the Streets Have No Name", In God's Country, One Tree Hill
    Nominated by speckle, andrewjrenko, Zaph, bigtimecharlie
    The Joshua Tree is one of the world's best-selling albums, with over 25 million copies sold.

The album's sound draws from American and Irish roots music more than the group's previous albums, following the counsel and influence of Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, and Keith Richards.

The Edge's guitar playing on The Joshua Tree is characteristic of what came to be his trademark sound. His minimalist style sharply contrasted with the emphasis placed on virtuosity and speed by heavy metal in the 1980s. The Edge views musical notes as "expensive", preferring to play as few of them as possible and to instead focus on simpler parts that serve the moods of the songs. Much of this was achieved with a delay effect, contributing to a chiming, echo-laden sound.

For example, the riff in the introduction of the opening track "Where the Streets Have No Name" is a repeated six-note arpeggio, with delay used to repeat notes.The riffs to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "With or Without You" also prominently use delay, with Bono likening the guitar hook from the former track to "chrome bells".

Anthony DeCurtis of Rolling Stone compared the album to Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A., stating that both records "lifted a populist artist to mega-stardom", and that the musicians' uplifting live shows and the "sheer aural pleasure" of the two records obscured their foreboding nature. DeCurtis summarized The Joshua Tree's examination of America both lyrically and musically as such:

"The wild beauty, cultural richness, spiritual vacancy and ferocious violence of America are explored to compelling effect in virtually every aspect of The Joshua Tree—in the title and the cover art, the blues and country borrowings evident in the music ... Indeed, Bono says that 'dismantling the mythology of America' is an important part of The Joshua Tree's artistic objective."

Ten things you didn't know about The Joshua Tree

The Joshua Tree: How U2 became rock's hottest.

Halfway through, a brief intermission, back at 6pm.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

hopefully Talking Heads will feature somewhere

Well they were my number 1 pick, but I'm not massively hopeful of them making this list. But if Duran Duran can make it... :pac:

Halfway through, a brief intermission, back at 6pm.

It’s brilliant Reberetta- you’re so good for doing this- thank you so much-

I don’t know about other posters but I wouldn’t mind a slow down on the postings as we go from 20-1- give us time to digest- after all your hard work a bit of suspense and time to assimilate is very much fine with me especially if the top 10 were spread over next week - either way, you’re just brilliant so thanks again

Zaph wrote: »
    Well they were my number 1 pick, but I'm not massively hopeful of them making this list. But if Duran Duran can make it... :pac:

Sorry Duran Duran fans but I’m splitting my sides here right now with this post :D

Ok I’m off now to do my 3 Our Fathers and a Hail Mary :P

It’s brilliant Reberetta- you’re so good for doing this- thank you so much-

I don’t know about other posters but I wouldn’t mind a slow down on the postings as we go from 20-1- give us time to digest- after all your hard work a bit of suspense and time to assimilate is very much fine with me especially if the top 10 were spread over next week - either way, you’re just brilliant so thanks again

Okay, I will go as slow as I can. Do you guys want me to finish it today or say leave the top ten to tomorrow? I don't mind.

By the way: spoiler: there was one big album that didn't make the cut.:eek:

Whatever suits you. Suspense is good though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Reberetta wrote:
    Okay, I will go as slow as I can. Do you guys want me to finish it today or say leave the top ten to tomorrow? I don't mind.

What Arghus said. If it suits you then slow roll the feck out of it this eve, if not overhang the top 10 till tomorrow :D

Sorry Duran Duran fans but I’m splitting my sides here right now with this post :D

Ok I’m off now to do my 3 Our Fathers and a Hail Mary :P

No worries. I'm aware that these lists are always dominated by rock, very rarely you will see pop artists making the cut, so very happy that Duran Duran are here.

25th 33 pts

Def Leppard
    Hysteria (1987)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 89?/1/1
    Singles: "Animal","Women", "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Hysteria", "Armageddon It", "Love Bites", "Rocket"
    Nominated by Kolido, bubblypop, bigtimecharlie
    The album's goal, set out by Lange, was to be a hard rock version of Michael Jackson's Thriller, in that every track was a potential hit single.Songs were therefore written with this concept in mind, disappointing heavy metal fans who clamoured for a straight sequel to Pyromania. One song, "Love Bites", was already mostly written in the vein of a country ballad by Mutt Lange when he brought it to the band's attention.

While Pyromania contained traces of Def Leppard's original traditional heavy metal sound found on their first two albums, Hysteria removed them in favour of the latest sonic technology available at the time (best displayed on "Rocket", "Love Bites", "Excitable", and "Gods of War"). As with Pyromania, every song was recorded by every member in the studio separately instead of the whole band. The multiple vocal harmonies were enhanced by Lange's techniques, even pitching background vocals on all tracks. Guitar parts were now focused more on emphasising melody than hard rock's more basic and clichéd riffs.

The band used the Rockman amplifier, developed by guitarist Tom Scholz from the rock band Boston, to record the album. Engineer Mike Shipley described the Rockman as "a ****ty little box" with "a godawful sound" that "had no real balls to it", but it was used because the other amplifiers used had an excessively "crunchy" sound ill-suited to layering guitars and which Lange did not think was "commercial" enough.

In addition, all of the album's drum sounds were samples recorded by Lange and the engineers, then played from the Fairlight CMI. In a 1999 interview with Mix Magazine, Shipley noted, "Pyromania was done the same way, on cheesy 8-bit Fairlight technology where we had to figure out how to record everything at half speed into the Fairlight to make it sound like it had some tone to it, and we'd be stacking up a bunch of snares and bass drums." Shipley also noted that the drum sounds were dealt with last because each song's structure could change so radically, and because of technical difficulties. This unique approach sometimes led to painstaking lengths of time in the recording studio.

The smash single, "Pour Some Sugar on Me", was the last song written but was quickly finished within two weeks. In sharp contrast, the final version of "Animal" took almost a full three years to be developed but was not as successful as other singles despite reaching number 19 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Their best-seller to date, it sold in excess of 30 million copies globally and 12 million in North America, standing out as the "51st best-selling album ever in the states." Hysteria spent 96 weeks in the Top 40-a feat shared only by Born in the U.S.A.

Ten things you didn't know about Hysteria.

The awesome secret hiding in Def Leppard's Hysteria singles.

• Advertisement

25th 33 pts

Def Leppard
    Hysteria (1987)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 89?/1/1
    Singles: "Animal","Women", "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Hysteria", "Armageddon It", "Love Bites", "Rocket"
    Nominated by Kolido, bubblypop, bigtimecharlie

Ten things you didn't know about Hysteria.

The awesome secret hiding in Def Leppard's Hysteria singles.

This and Queensryche were just outside my top-10.
    Excellent album.

Hysteria is the Thriller of hard rock.
    Great album; love the way they included all the single edits & extended mixes on the 30th anniversary box. Not many rock bands would do that; a lot seem ashamed of their 12” excursions.

24th 33 pts

Stevie Wonder
    Songs In The Key Of Life (1976)
    Playlist and documentary.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/2/1
    Singles "I Wish", "Isn't She Lovely", "Sir Duke", Another Star", "As"
    Nominated by Pretzill, Plentyohtoole, The Floyd P
    Over time, the album became a standard, and it is considered Wonder's signature album. "Of all the albums," he told Q magazine (April 1995 issue), "Songs in the Key of Life I'm most happy about. Just the time, being alive then. To be a father and then… letting go and letting God give me the energy and strength I needed."

Elton John said, in his notes for Wonder on the 2003 Rolling Stone's list of "The Immortals – The Greatest Artists of All Time" (in which Wonder was ranked number 15): "Let me put it this way: wherever I go in the world, I always take a copy of Songs in the Key of Life. For me, it's the best album ever made, and I'm always left in awe after I listen to it."

In an interview with Ebony magazine, Michael Jackson called Songs in the Key of Life his favorite Stevie Wonder album. George Michael cited the album as his favorite of all time.

Prince called it the best album ever recorded, Mariah Carey generally names the album as one of her favorites, and Whitney Houston also remarked on the influence of Songs in the Key of Life on her singing. (During the photoshoot for her Whitney: The Greatest Hits, as seen on its respective home video, the album was played throughout the photo sessions, at Houston’s request.)

The album's importance has also been recognized by heavy metal musicians, with Pantera singer Phil Anselmo describing a live performance of Songs in the Key of Life as "a living, breathing miracle".

Inside story of the album.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hysteria is a great choice surprised I left it off my own list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    Hysteria is a great choice surprised I left it off my own list!!
    Not sure I've ever listened to it :o
    I'll amend that

Not sure I've ever listened to it :o
    I'll amend that

Yes, highly recommended EN.
    I like the back story as well - that they waited for Rick Allen to recover from his accident and adjust his drumming style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I have not listened to alot of these albums. I must rectify that, whilst continuing to ignore Bruce Springsteen.

23rd 34 pts

Bon Jovi
    Slippery When Wet (1986)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 44/6/1
    Singles: Never Say Goodbye, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Livin On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name
    Nominated by BigtimeCharlie, Necro, Kolido
    Much of the album was written by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora, whereas "You Give Love a Bad Name", "Livin' on a Prayer", "Without Love", and "I'd Die For You" were co-written with Desmond Child, and "Wild in the Streets" was by Bon Jovi alone. This was the first time Child worked with Jon and Richie. He came to New Jersey, where they worked on the four songs in Sambora's mother's basement.

Jon Bon Jovi explained, "I liked what Bryan Adams had done with Tina Turner so I suggested we do something similar: I write a song for someone like her, and then we do the song together. But that got changed, and our A&R guy came up with Desmond's name ... He hasn't tried to change what we are, but to refine it slightly; to suggest extra ways that we could wring a bit more out of what we had."

Jon Bon Jovi was initially reluctant to include "Livin' on a Prayer", believing it was not good enough. Guitarist Sambora convinced the singer it was a hit in the making, and so the band rerecorded it, releasing the second version on the album.

Slippery When Wet was met with mixed reviews. Writing in The Village Voice in September 1987, Robert Christgau said, "Sure seven million teenagers can be wrong, but their assent is not without a certain documentary satisfaction. Yes, it proves that youth rebellion is toothless enough to simulate and market. But who the hell thought youth was dangerous in the current vacuum? Would you have preferred the band market patriotism? And are you really immune to 'Livin' on a Prayer'?"

In 1990 in Rolling Stone, Jimmy Guterman thoroughly berated the band and the album. "Jon Bon Jovi and his band serve up condescending sentiment, reducing every emotional statement to a barefaced cliché – either because they think that's all their audience can comprehend or because that's all they can comprehend. On Slippery When Wet, Bon Jovi sounds like bad fourth-generation metal, a smudgy Xerox of Quiet Riot."

Nevertheless he album is ranked 44th in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's list of the Definitive 200 albums of all time and has sold over 28 million copies worldwide.

Twenty things you might not know about the album.

The album that changed Bon Jovi's lives.

The two entries with the biggest hair so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Glad The Smiths were mentioned. They don't get much love in tournaments around here.

Advertisement