Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Some records that came out last Firday that I've been listening to on repeat Gus Dapperton - Orca, A. Swayze & The Ghosts - Paid Salvation and the new Young Knives record Barbarians. If you're on Spotify have a look at their bio, funny stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

New Deftones album Ohms dropped earlier.
    One of the rare bands that I listened to twenty years ago that I still have time for today:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A certain ratio back with their first album for 12 years , nice and funky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

New Deftones and Sufjan both available to stream today.

Best. Friday. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

S.M.B. wrote: »

Best. Friday. Ever.

And Idles

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »

Best. Friday. Ever.

Try as I might - and I gave tried - I can't get into Sufjan. It think it's his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Deftones album is killer, Terry Date did a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

New Deftones album is really good. Big improvement on their last album.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Enjoying the new one, but I also thought Gore was great. Some fantastic tracks on it.

For me Hearts/Wires and Phantom Bride are standouts, up there with the best they've done.

Haven't listened to the new one enough yet to pick out individual favorites, but I'm sure there will be a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Idles album is great, particularly like Reigns, very Joy Division. Shame their Vicar street gigs are sold out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Enjoying the new one, but I also thought Gore was great. Some fantastic tracks on it.

For me Hearts/Wires and Phantom Bride are standouts, up there with the best they've done.

Haven't listened to the new one enough yet to pick out individual favorites, but I'm sure there will be a few.
    Gore had some good songs but it was inconsistent.
    Ohms seems more consistent on first listen.

I really liked Gore at first, but, over the years I've come to think of it as one of their weakest albums. It's not bad but it's a bit average, the songs in the main are a bit meh IMO. When they played in Vicar Street all the songs from that record just didn't stand up to the rest of the material they played, again IMO.

I think there's a few average songs on Ohms too, but there's some damn good ones too - Urantia, Pompeji, Radiant City all stand out so far. And the album has a cohesive kind of feel to it, which Gore lacked. They'll never top White Pony but at least they're still trying and not trading on past glories.

Of all the albums released today, this is definitely tops for me. A follow up to Phanerozoic Part 1 released in 2018.

A mix of post and prog metal with the right balance of melody, atmosphere and aggressiveness, with some brutal riffs and vocals intermingled with horns and strings.

A band that has flown under the radar, but in my opinion this is their strongest release yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Add me in as well.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it until today, but yeah, tis very good.

Looking forward to the commute tomorrow to give it a proper whirl.

Can confirm after a couple more listens, it's [DOVES] fantastic.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this recommended here, but can't find the post.....

I seem to have completely missed out on these guys in the last 20 odd years

This is a bit of a cheat because I'm going to big up an album that isn't new, it's in fact nearly forty years old, but it's only recently been made available to streaming services: Deceit by This Heat.

It's a hard album to describe. The weirdest mix of experimental rock, tape loops, found sounds, improvisation and biting social criticism. It's very abstract and has an apocalyptically dark and suffocating atmosphere. The best explanation I've read is this era of rock produced Remain in Light, whereas this album is more like Remain in Dark. Raging against the machine; but in the full knowledge that the machine will eventually crush you.

It will not appeal to everyone, but for those of you who like experimental rock it's essential listening. It's a unique album, which to this day sounds like nothing else. And it was way, way ahead of its time. It really doesn't sound like an album from 1981, it seems to have no direct ancestors or descendants. This is the closest thing on the record to a straightforward song:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

peteeeed wrote: »
    A certain ratio back with their first album for 12 years , nice and funky

Listening to it now. It's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yes it is excellent. Between this and the ACR album I must ask, what year is it again? And Cabaret Voltaire have an album coming out too. Jaaaaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Arghus wrote: »
    This is a bit of a cheat because I'm going to big up an album that isn't new, it's in fact nearly forty years old, but it's only recently been made available to streaming services: Deceit by This Heat.
    This is quality. I was only aware of them before because James Murphy starts his list of records on Losing My Edge with them.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Idles album is great, particularly like Reigns, very Joy Division. Shame their Vicar street gigs are sold out

I think it's not that great to be honest. I appreciate that they've leaned more into noise rock a bit more on this album, but, I dunno, I don't find the album all that satisfying. There's not much interesting stuff going on musically and the lyrics and vocals sound even more like sloganeering than ever before. It's not bad, but it's not doing much for me. They've been serving up diminished returns since their first album, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭T.V Eye

I think the new Idles album is lyrically spotty, too obsessed with having a go at critics and misguided (who name drops Conor McGregor and then does a song about consent...ffs) but it has it's moments vocaly/lyricaly.

The music is pretty much what I want from them and the drums in particular sound really good, on Reigns in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

The new Fleet Foxes album is glorious....but no vinyl release until February:(

The new Fleet Foxes album is glorious....but no vinyl release until February:(

I've been listening to it quite a bit, but I'm struggling to get into it. I enjoyed their first album - this sounds like what I had to say about Idles - but I haven't really thought what came afterwards has been as good. But I'll give this one a few more spins, maybe it just needs time to click.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

same here - I love the first two Fleet Foxes albums, but the new one (and it's predecessor) just sound a bit generic, the songs don't stick in your head in the same way.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the new BC Camplight album having seen it on the Guardian's best of 2020 (so far) list. Not sure how to describe it, maybe a bit Brian Wilson and a bit Todd Rundgren. Songs go off on tangents and the lyrics are quite odd but it also pretty catchy.

loving this right now.... and i think youre description is apt...

maybe throw in a bit of flaming lips and a dash of syd barrett

• Enjoying Róisín Machine, the new album by Róisín Murphy. She's someone I've never properly listened to before, I only really knew those two Moloko songs everybody knows (I love "The Time Is Now" but never cared for "Sing It Back").

Which of her other albums would be the best to check out next?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Enjoying Róisín Machine, the new album by Róisín Murphy. She's someone I've never properly listened to before, I only really knew those two Moloko songs everybody knows (I love "The Time Is Now" but never cared for "Sing It Back").

they're all worth a listen but probably overpowered and hairless toys

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭T.V Eye

Laura Jane Grace solo album is a nice short listen with some lock down themes.

Getting a Mountain Goats vibe from it.
    Enjoying it a lot.

Enjoying Róisín Machine, the new album by Róisín Murphy. She's someone I've never properly listened to before, I only really knew those two Moloko songs everybody knows (I love "The Time Is Now" but never cared for "Sing It Back").

She's got some cracking tunes in her back catalogue, amazing why she never became a bigger deal IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Since the vinyl for this came I've dedicated a portion of each day to lying on the ground listening to it through. It's great for the back.

Advertisement