Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Regarding holding doors open.
    When I was about 16 I was at a wedding. I held the door open for one or two people.
    Then I was to shy to leave it go so I got stuck there for about twenty minutes. Everybody kept on going in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Antares35 wrote: »
    :) I'm a woman and I think it's nice when people (men or women) hold a door open. I'd hate to be the kind of person who volunteers for anger and indignation so easily. I agree with you, it's a nice thing to do. Not everything has to be a statement on sexism.

Yeah but we're back to changing opening doors for women specifically because they're women to holding doors for people because it's sensible and polite.

I doubt a significant number of people would get cross about someone holding a door when it's just the sensible thing to do.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Is it not exhausting to undertake all the mental gymnastics you've outlined above to make a simple decision whether to hold a door for someone or not? I couldn't live like that, I'd be worn out by lunchtime.

It's not difficult thinking at all. You do it all the time or how else would you know whether to hold the door open or not? I'll bet you've just never explicitly thought it through before.

Do you know the scene I'm describing? Where the person is standing prostrate with their back to the door, holding it open so people can walk through first?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

In regards to Population....

The reproduction rate in Ireland up to the 1980's was staggering. Rife poverty,no contraception and families of 12 or 15 children was not unheard of.
    Surely if that rate of reproduction did not occur, the population today would be significantly smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Kneeling before a premier league game does nothing to eradicate racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you think that person who threw a milkshake over Leo yesterday was right to do so, you are a tit of the highest order.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If you think that person who threw a milkshake over Leo yesterday was right to do so, you are a tit of the highest order.

In addition, whatever their problem was will not be addressed by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It probably fuels it if anything. Makes me want to vomit.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    It probably fuels it if anything. Makes me want to vomit.

A far better starting point would be looking into the stands sometimes.

I lived in England for a number of years and held a season ticket at a premier league club. I went to hundreds of games and I had very little if any experience of racism in stadia. You'd be a fool to believe that it doesnt exist in football stadia but I wonder what the actual levels of it are.

It certainly exists abroad and we have seen clear examples of that.

Whether or not it exists in the professional game itself in terms of recruitment or outlook I cant say but with number of foreign players in the game it's not easy to see how.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I said the and was told to educate myself and that I was a white woman and had no idea.

I still have no idea how a pointless, token and very much forced gesture can solve any societal issue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Regarding holding doors open.
    When I was about 16 I was at a wedding. I held the door open for one or two people.
    Then I was to shy to leave it go so I got stuck there for about twenty minutes. Everybody kept on going in and out.

That is daylight abuse, you can get counselling for that.

Never dress like a concierge to a wedding either, live a little.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I said the and was told to educate myself and that I was a white woman and had no idea.

I still have no idea how a pointless, token and very much forced gesture can solve any societal issue.

It doesn't. It does nothing to tackle the problem in any meaningful fashion.

Besides, racism is a societal problem and should be treated as such. People will behave in football grounds the same way that they behave outside of them.

An unpopular question.

What will happen next if the restrictions in Dublin fail to work as anticipated?

An unpopular question.

What will happen next if the restrictions in Dublin fail to work as anticipated?

The Zombie Apocalypse of course.

Looking forward to taking dead aim at George Lee's Zombie head myself, ( and Claire Byrnes ).

My Blunderbus is loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

An unpopular question.

Send any culchies living in Dublin to Spike Island.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Android operating system is a ferocious croc of sh1t. It's the Windows XP of it's day.

Nearly 100% of the apps in the app store contain ads or spyware, the games are all pay to win, pay to play, in app purchases or just plain pay. A lot of the so-called open source apps are modified versions of the original with bundled spyware and adware. Even if you install no apps the Almighty GOOG is still spying on you through Google Play Services, location services and various other things. Although the operating system itself doesn't cost anything the Almighty GOOG does all it can to hoik you in permanently and make you nice and dependent on their services.

The bluetooth functionality and USB connectivity appear to have been deliberately crippled over the years to make sure you use Google cloud services to transfer data instead.

If you are on 2G data nothing seems to work anymore because your little bitteen of bandwidth is presumably clogged up with apps phoning home with all the data they've been collecting on you.

The problem now is no new operating system can get a look in because of the app-gap, again similar to Windows back in the day. Which shouldn't be a problem really because all the apps are sh1te anyway. Only thing keeping me using it is the fact that nearly everyone uses whatsapp

Controversial.

Thing is you wouldn't fit them. Make them swim over maybe?

Better off marching them straight into the Shannon, if they can swim over to the far side then they are quite obviously culchies ( or from Connaught ) and can then be shot on sight. It's about time we sorted out the problem with this country for once and for all.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Better off marching them straight into the Shannon, if they can swim over to the far side then they are quite obviously culchies ( or from Connaught ) and can then be shot on sight. It's about time we sorted out the problem with this country for once and for all.

Sounds like the D-Day landings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I didn't say it was misogyny in relation to people in general (or holding a door when it's the practical thing to do), I gave an example of awkwardly holding the door for women because they're women...

Assuming that's what you meant then sure, do as you want. You'll probably povide the same service of marking yourself for young people watching you exhibit the very definition of virtue signalling.

Hmm, I stand with my arm outstretched holding a door, if someone male or female is approaching the door that looks burdened. E.g. trying to wheel a bicycle, cart; carrying a bag or 2, especially in the hand on the hinge side,

Or, if I think the alternative is a sidestep to avoid collision after going through the door. ( I think this is prone to accusations of misogyny)

Or if it's a heavy door, or a door behaving in an unexpected way (a sensor door but powered off) ,or there are wind gusts, or even just heavy rain.

I don't think my brain's capable of adding in the "avoid virtue signalling" calculus into that also. Or if I tried, I'd end up releasing the door in a delayed way that risks hitting their arm. Not worth the risk for 5 seconds of a wait, when I'll feel guilty about it for hours. So if it helps, I'm being selfishly self-protective.

And for the younger people, male and female that do the same for me, thanks.

• Advertisement

Sounds like the D-Day landings

That was called target practice. ( Zielpraxis )

The Nazi infantry held lotteries in Paris to see who got to defend the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Controversial.
    IAMAMORON wrote: »

I have two culchie parents and all. Swim will do them no harm - sure wouldn't that Shannon water kill any covid19!? I am not sure I would waste a bullet on them though (not economical) :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I have two culchie parents and all. Swim will do them no harm - sure wouldn't that Shannon water kill any covid19!? I am not sure I would waste a bullet on them though (not economical) :D

You are technically a culchie also, be careful... we have ways of making you talk.

Android operating system is a ferocious croc of sh1t. It's the Windows XP of it's day.

Nearly 100% of the apps in the app store contain ads or spyware, the games are all pay to win, pay to play, in app purchases or just plain pay. A lot of the so-called open source apps are modified versions of the original with bundled spyware and adware. Even if you install no apps the Almighty GOOG is still spying on you through Google Play Services, location services and various other things. Although the operating system itself doesn't cost anything the Almighty GOOG does all it can to hoik you in permanently and make you nice and dependent on their services.

The bluetooth functionality and USB connectivity appear to have been deliberately crippled over the years to make sure you use Google cloud services to transfer data instead.

If you are on 2G data nothing seems to work anymore because your little bitteen of bandwidth is presumably clogged up with apps phoning home with all the data they've been collecting on you.

The problem now is no new operating system can get a look in because of the app-gap, again similar to Windows back in the day. Which shouldn't be a problem really because all the apps are sh1te anyway. Only thing keeping me using it is the fact that nearly everyone uses whatsapp

Sounds like you're just really bad at using Android.

ressem wrote: »
    Hmm, I stand with my arm outstretched holding a door, if someone male or female is approaching the door that looks burdened....

So not doing it for women because they're women which would obviously be misogynistic.

Why do posters keep replying but keep switching this part from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Sounds like you're just really bad at using Android.

Ah shur with a name like that I wouldn't expect anything other than a cheap dig from you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ah shur with a name like that I wouldn't expect anything other than a cheap dig from you

Oh how I laughed at that one.

You do have a point overall.

I'm a hobbyist android developer and I was recently working on a kernel for my fone to improve it. Guess what I found in the source code, explicit code that gives facebook app advanced 'privileges' which in layman's terms means the app will run in the background and not go into standby - when the phone is in standby. This is coded into the android system before you take it out of the box and before you even install facebook in the first place.

To me that's outrageous and I think there should be laws prohibiting that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Yeah but we're back to changing opening doors for women specifically because they're women to holding doors for people because it's sensible and polite.

I doubt a significant number of people would get cross about someone holding a door when it's just the sensible thing to do.

But women are people :D So if you hold a door for a woman because she's a person not because she's a woman, how will she differentiate that from holding the door for her because shes a woman? How will she know whether to be angry? Perhaps for the avoidance of doubt men should state why they are holding the door. If he states he is holding the door because she is a person, she can say thank you and walk through. If he says it's because she's a woman, she can become enraged and refuse to move until it slams in her face :)

To keep on topic, my unpopular opinion is that cake smashes for one year olds are a literal waste of money and a crass display of well wastefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The vast bulk of 1980's music was utterly terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Gervais08 wrote: »

I hope you pointed out to them the fact they brought your color and sex in to it made them racist and sexist.

that would have stumped them

Advertisement