Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Surface low can be identified as being right over the county of Kildare at the moment, with shower bands running SW to NE over the east of the county and NE to SW in the west of it:

AK6EGUy.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

After a bright, breezy while, a sudden squall and strong gusts and it has gone very dark. The wind has been from the north and the incoming tide on the north shore was loud. Wonderful sound and so evocative.

It was bitterly cold first thing but the stove is lit and well filled. Not going out of the door for anything.

West Mayo offshore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cooler air really digging in now across much of western Europe with many parts of France and Spain now struggling in the mid to high teens. Much warmer across eastern Europe with warmth surging northwards.

temp_eur2.png

Autumn has arrived across much of western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm starting to wonder about the puling the electric blanket out of the cupboard! :eek:

Ours was switched on last night.

Loud thunderclap and a flash of lightning; did not notice that on met.ie

West Mayo offshore

and again.. gone very very dark

more flashes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

We got it here in Achill too, accompanied by a heavy hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Bitterly cold! Under 9°c at present in South Laois. Hit a balmy 10.2°c earlier. If the afternoon doesn't beat that then it's officially my coldest September day on record going back to 2008.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking at the temperatures some parts of the country are only 8C. We struggled to get temperatures that low by day for the majority of last winter!

Bright sun again now. crazy volatile weather

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Alexa says it's 10 degrees in Cork City and I believe it! It's fair chilly out there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

10.3c in West Clare following heavy but brief rain. Beginning to rain again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Only around 11 degrees in Cork City but definitely a shock to the system, feels like the coldest day in a while. House is cold, winds are strong enough and cold. Heavy showers. Rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

An absolutely bitter day in wexford. The worst part is that in school the classroom windows are open for ventilation, so it's just as cold inside. Clouded over too. First the sunniest spring, the wettest summer, and now the coldest september, along with a global pandemic. It's been a strange year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Surface low can be identified as being right over the county of Kildare at the moment, with shower bands running SW to NE over the east of the county and NE to SW in the west of it:

AK6EGUy.gif

I got some drone video late this morning in north Kildare, a little bit SE of Enfield. Drone is looking towards the SW. Towards the end of the very short video you can see the clouds beginning to move in from the right/NE as the circulation was beginning to change. The video is very short as the cloud above decided to suddenly burst so I had to make a dash back to base.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

AK6EGUy.gif

I got some drone video late this morning in north Kildare, a little bit SE of Enfield. Drone is looking towards the SW. Towards the end of the very short video you can see the clouds beginning to move in from the right/NE as the circulation was beginning to change. The video is very short as the cloud above decided to suddenly burst so I had to make a dash back to base.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sweet Jesus its freezing + so dark!!!!

I know it was forecast but shock to system today.

Time to pack away all light clothes + get the heavy coats + boots out.

In fairness Sept has been fab apart from last weekend which was disappointing in Dublin.

Most of it has been sunnier, drier and warmer in Dublin anyway than the summer months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Drove from Tralee to Dublin and back today, some rough conditions with very heavy blustery showers especially this morning from Kerry to after Limerick. Brighter spells this afternoon with heavy showers. Turned quite blustery and ongoing heavy showers back here in Kerry this evening, 11mm so far today. Been a dry month with 31mm recorded but had 24m in the last 3 days. Ponds filling up nicely again though after getting a clean out when they were dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Some pictures of the sky this evening(apologies for low quality):

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Drove from Tralee to Dublin and back today, some rough conditions with very heavy blustery showers especially this morning from Kerry to after Limerick. Brighter spells this afternoon with heavy showers. Turned quite blustery and ongoing heavy showers back here in Kerry this evening, 11mm so far today. Been a dry month with 31mm recorded but had 24m in the last 3 days. Ponds filling up nicely again though after getting a clean out when they were dry.

Crikey. Thats some trip!

Lovely evening in Cork. Cool, clear, crisp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big heavy blustery showers going through here near Tralee
    8.8C

• Advertisement

A wild, wild old night out here. Loud is the rain and frenzied the wind. Been at the door calling my oldest cat in and that is as far as I intend going.

WHAT A NOISE! Drumming against the place. Ferocious. My lovely sunflower will be destroyed.

All so sudden. But not really cold. Sleeveless still.

West Mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays max:

Sherkin 14.1
    Belmullet 14.1
    Mace head 14
    Newport 13.8

Dunsany,in Meath, only managed a max of 10.0 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

appledrop wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus its freezing + so dark!!!!

I know it was forecast but shock to system today.

Time to pack away all light clothes + get the heavy coats + boots out.

In fairness Sept has been fab apart from last weekend which was disappointing in Dublin.

Most of it has been sunnier, drier and warmer in Dublin anyway than the summer months.

Some of September has been beautiful.

Still, when the stats come in for the month as a whole, I'd imagine temps and sunshine will be fairly average, if not below average, in many locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Some interesting cloud tops on view today in Mayo as a conveyor belt of heavy showers ran from north to south and in fact is still ongoing judging by the radar tonight. Was out earlier this eve and got clipped by one which put down some of the largest hailstones that I have seen in a while. No denying it was autumn out there.

527353.jpg

527354.jpg

A wild morning after a loud night. There is no respite out here. Deluges battering the windows in the gale. So a day inside here. Snugged in..

West Mayo, offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sparkling morning in Kildare with frost on the cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-cold-weather-5214351-Sep2020/

Well that spun me right off my chair. Most people actually like cold weather?

To me this is the same as asking whether you like cancer, war, and child hunger. What kind of human being exactly votes yes? Cold weather brings death, sickness, economic ruin and decline, and depression and misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The_Brood wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-cold-weather-5214351-Sep2020/

Well that spun me right off my chair. Most people actually like cold weather?

To me this is the same as asking whether you like cancer, war, and child hunger. What kind of human being exactly votes yes? Cold weather brings death, sickness, economic ruin and decline, and depression and misery.

I can't for the life of me understand it either. How can you like it being too cold to get out of bed for work, or the freezing wind chilling you to the bone?
    I think people have this romantic idea of winter where they're in front of a fire with coco being all "hygge". Or walking on crunchy frosted grass with the sun beaming down in the morning, but that only happens about once a year in Ireland these days.
    But then again according to boards.ie there seems to be a lot of Irish people who are drowning in sweat if it goes over 12c or so, so they can probably function properly in winter without experiencing hyperhidrosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wet cold is all we get and some frost

If we got any dry cold that would be OK but usually its soaking wet and 8c a bit like this morning was here.

In fact sometimes we get very cold Novembers with cold cold cold where in other countries there would be snowfall but here in Ireland just cold puddles of rain and sometimes hail and if youre lucky you might see a dusting on the mountain top out of sympathy.

Ive a feeling about this Winter though...(I hope I dont say this every year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Good sunshine this morning in Castlebar. Cool though. Nice morning.

Advertisement