Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What apps do you use?

Options
  • 24-09-2020 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm new to EVs

I saw someone mention plugshare. Is there any other map of EV charge points that has good Irish coverage?

There's also the apps from the charging companies themselves of course (eCars, Ionity, EasyGo)

Anything else specific to EVs that is worth checking out? Do you generally need an app to charge from a charger provided by a local authority or not?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Plugshare is good to find most any charge points, but you're relying on people to keep it up to date.

Chargepoint is a cheaper alternative to ionity themselves. The cheapest ionity provider is always somewhat of a moving target though.

Other than that I have need to charge installed though it's never proved useful. A better route planner installed too for more accurate route planning if needs be.

And a plethora of other random charging apps but can't say I've opened them in the last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Daily I use none of them.

It’s only if using the EV for a long journey I’ll consider options incase I’m running low.

In daily life you shouldn’t need the apps as you buy the car that suits your daily needs based on an overnight charge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Same as Gumbo, day to day I don't use any of them. If however going on a trip of any kind, I might have a look on Plugshare to see what options are around locally to where I'll be. I like Plugshare because there's usually a few photo's for each charging location, which gives you a rough idea what the area is like and where in a location/carpark you might need to go to find the actual charger. I also like teh 'check in' feature, as it gives you some sort of indication if a charger is reliable, and how recently it's been used. (recent pictures & recent check in's give you the confidence that its working)

Used to use eCars a lot before August 10th, but only for opportunistic free charging before it ended.... still have a look the odd time to see how busy chargers are, and if needing a charge on a drive, would check before arrival (although I do this in the cars internet browser, with eCars website saved as a favourite)

Have ABRP (free version) and it's decent enough for planning trips, but to date have only just played around with it.

Advertisement