Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Acosta

Wibbs wrote: »
    This:

She's a divisive mouthpiece and happy to display it with a neck like a jockey's bollocks with no sense of self awareness or embarrassment. And worse the media are all too happy to shove a microphone, camera or editorial in front of her.

And the fact she's comes across as a chancer of the highest order whose academic(and I use the term cautiously) career and livelihood is predicated on shouting racism wherever she finds it, or makes it up when she doesn't. This case a perfect one. Anything she bleats on about has to be viewed through that prism and viewed with the gimlet eye it richly deserves.

In fairness she gets plenty of it online from those nasty NP scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kivaro wrote: »
    Baton down the hatches people, the statues are coming back.
    It was funny listening to Morning Ireland on RTE earlier this morning that even after an art historian stated on the show that there was conclusive proof that the statues depicted Egyptian princesses or aristocrats, the RTE commentator asked questions like "could they still be seen as insensitive?". And his final question was should they not have been removed anyway because others might have seen the statues as slaves i.e. their perception of the statues as slaves even though the reality was the opposite.

Ebun Joseph is going to have a conniption; apparently it is people like her who now dictate what art that Irish people can have in our lives. Expect RTE to interview her for her views (perception) very soon.

Well that’s on the person looking at the statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Acosta wrote: »

I've seen her being unmercifully mocked on several sites, and one of those sites would be considered "far right" by posters like you. Yet I've never seen one person make it about her race; it's always about her substance, or the lack of it in her case.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Scumbags on all sides of these issues. Racists are vile. Hate them. Funnily enough I think she’s got plenty of racist tendencies herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

I don't think the statues will last long. Some gowls that support Ebun Joseph's nonsense will take a hacksaw to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I don't think the statues will last long. Some gowls that support Ebun Joseph's nonsense will take a hacksaw to them

Doesn't the hotel still have doormen? That should discourage them. Sawing bronze with a hacksaw is hard work. It is not something you could do in ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's a small win

but it's still a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Newstalk had Ebun Joseph on this morning to talk about the statues being reinstalled at The Shelbourne Hotel. Have a listen, it didn't go very well for her. Seriously slandered Dublin City Council.

She's actually making a joke of academia in Ireland.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-newstalk-breakfast/shelbourne-hotel-statues-sre-due-come-back?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If anyone doubts the true intentions behind their initial removal, they are confused. This was all about the money, what they are worth and how to flog them quickly, simple.

The real mistake was the GOB€HITES weren't quick enough putting something in their place. Living two stands empty, kinda brought attention to the removal. With all that's going on, I truely doubt any would have noticed, albeit mickey mouse and Minnie might be a little too obvious :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dempo1 wrote: »
    If anyone doubts the true intentions behind their initial removal, they are confused. This was all about the money, what they are worth and how to flog them quickly, simple.

The real mistake was the GOB€HITES weren't quick enough putting something in their place. Living two stands empty, kinda brought attention to the removal. With all that's going on, I truely doubt any would have noticed, albeit mickey mouse and Minnie might be a little too obvious :)

Why the **** would an American investment fund give a fook about selling a couple of statues. The reason was they got spooked by the BLM stuff.

Your logic is way off.

• Advertisement

Doesn't the hotel still have doormen? That should discourage them. Sawing bronze with a hacksaw is hard work. It is not something you could do in ten minutes.

Yeh. Hard work will definately scare them off. But no doorman is gonna stand up to antifa style mob with a consaw. And a good battering with a sledge is gonna bend and distort bronze

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Why the **** would an American investment fund give a fook about selling a couple of statues. The reason was they god spooked by the BLM stuff.

Your logic is way off.

The same American investment fund currently haemorrhaging money at the shelbourne you mean?? Its also Intriguing how their sudden sky high valuations were leaked after the story broke don't you think?

Who ever took a blind bit of notice of these statues before this non story, seriously

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Acosta

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Newstalk had Ebun Joseph on this morning to talk about the statues being reinstalled at The Shelbourne Hotel. Have a listen, it didn't go very well for her. Seriously slandered Dublin City Council.

She's actually making a joke of academia in Ireland.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-newstalk-breakfast/shelbourne-hotel-statues-sre-due-come-back?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

https://twitter.com/last_call12/status/1309184420214079492?s=19

Your twitter account is fairly disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

https://twitter.com/last_call12/status/1309184420214079492?s=19

Even that woke cucktard of a presenter sounded like he was tiring of her nonsense. Says something if even he can’t take her line of gibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just listened to it

Absolute ignorance and such breathtaking rudeness from doc ebun

Ebun - quit UCD now and issue a full apology

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Just listened to it

Jesus wept, just listening to it myself now. Incoherent nonsense.

Great to hear the statues will be back at their pride of place soon.

But There’s absolutely no need for a plaque to be put up with the statues.

Just reinstate the statues and leave it at that.

They were much loved for over 100 years and they will be loved for many years to come, no need for some stupid plaque

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Just listened to it

She was just on the news saying it was a missed opportunity to right a wrong. What wrong, they were proven to be of a completely different origin than thought. Embarrassing for her.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    She was just on the news saying it was a missed opportunity to right a wrong. What wrong, they were proven to be of a completely different origin than thought. Embarrassing for her.

She’s as brazen and stubborn as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think the fact that she is willing to ignore her peers when they provide substantial evidence (in this case a catalogue) is more worrying for her academic standing. Along with this her inability to admit she was wrong in her initial assessment. We all make mistakes, we have all at times changed opinion when we learn more on a subject. She needs to learn from this, apologise and move on. (But she won't).

The sooner the black community find another public face in Ireland, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I don't think they'll be interfered with.
    They were OK until they were lighted upon by people seeking to further their own agenda.

I am delighted that they are being reinstated. A plaque to 'explain' them is planned according to RTE news.

Unnecessary.

Edun Joseph was on 9 o clock Rte news saying that Ireland missed an opportunity.

She doesn't give up and she doesn't learn.

Maybe she needs to sign up for her own courses in UCD:

"University College Dublin is introducing a module aimed at exploring the experiences of people of Black African descent.

The first module of its type in Ireland, ‘Black Studies and Critical Race Perspectives in Education’ will examine the histories, social movements and contributions of people of African descent, as well as look at contemporary forms of Blackness in society and around the world.

The coordinators behind the new module say that students will learn about key thinkers in the Black diaspora, their theories, and be offered narratives counter to traditional Eurocentric thinking.

“With increasing interest in Black studies across the world, this module will help non-Blacks comprehend what living as a person of Black African descent can entail,” said Dr Ebun Joseph, who will be overseeing the new class alongside Professor Kathleen Lynch."

from UCD website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I wasn't watching but surely you don't mean the rte news, the same organisation who are bombarding us with ads advising us to be careful of fake news on the likes of social media an to stick with truth purveyors like themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

It's genuinely difficult to think of a more effective way of inoculating public against her ideology than to have it expressed by such an aggressive, inarticulate, and ignorant speaker whose central method of argumentation appears to be shouting the words racism and black bodies. I hope to hear a lot more from her on the national airwaves soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

Listening to Dr. Ebun Joseph on Newstalk this morning and she came across very badly, almost deranged.

The black community in ireland really need to find a voice that is a lot more, calm, coherent and reasoned if they want to highlight issues of racism in Ireland.

I’m sick of this lady telling us how bad we are in this country and that racism is endemic in our society.

Why oh why is she still here if this country is so bad? There is nothing whatsoever stopping her from hopping on a plane and getting away from this racist cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

KevRossi wrote: »
    I think the fact that she is willing to ignore her peers when they provide substantial evidence (in this case a catalogue) is more worrying for her academic standing. Along with this her inability to admit she was wrong in her initial assessment. We all make mistakes, we have all at times changed opinion when we learn more on a subject. She needs to learn from this, apologise and move on. (But she won't).

Fwik the "black community" did not chose this lady as some sort of spokesperson, she was chosen by the right-on Liberal set because they know what is best for the "black community", whoever they are, and for the rest of us for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Listening to Dr. Ebun Joseph on Newstalk this morning and she came across very badly, almost deranged.

The black community in ireland really need to find a voice that is a lot more, calm, coherent and reasoned if they want to highlight issues of racism in Ireland.

I’m sick of this lady telling us how bad we are in this country and that racism is endemic in our society.

Why oh why is she still here if this country is so bad? There is nothing whatsoever stopping her from hopping on a plane and getting away from this racist cesspit.

She's Irish now, there's no getting rid of her.

She regularly appears on radio talking about "our country" and her Irishness.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's a sort of ugly symbiosis between those unhappy oddballs and people like Ebun.

There's a sort of ugly symbiosis between those unhappy oddballs and people like Ebun.
    Two cheeks of the same arse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

imme wrote: »
    She's Irish now, there's no getting rid of her.

She regularly appears on radio talking about "our country" and her Irishness.

Unbelievable.

She very very regularly slags us off - one quote was something about the more “the Irish” deny they are racists, the more they are.

Patriotic to the core that one, not!

We’re just a market for her media career and academic work, she’s no loyalty.

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »

Won't happen alas, look at America. Really depressing to see how quickly it happened. 10 years ago I thought we would be ok but we're going down the same path.

Advertisement