Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hades (PC and Switch)

• 18-09-2020 12:21am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Finally hit 1.0 (plus a Switch release) so time for a dedicated thread.

I played a good chunk of this during the first few stages of its early access release, and it was masterful from the get go. Looking forward to properly diving into the finished product - have only played a bit of the later updates so much to discover.

This is another rogue lite, but it flows like a dream - the weapons are delightful to play with, and the dizzying amount of upgrades and powers really do give you lots of room to build a character that suits you (while still facing the frequent dilemmas of choosing between multiple worthwhile options).

Add to that the peerless writing, music, performances and visual design of a Supergiant game, and you have something that is unsurprisingly receiving rave reviews.

I'd go as far as saying Supergiant have just gotten better and better with each subsequent game - from Transistor to Pyre to this. One of the absolute best studios working today. This seems to have been a massive hit on PC, so couldn't be happier for them.

This is good enough that I'm really considering double-dipping on Switch once the cross-save is enabled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Colour me intrigued.. Does it play like Diablo? Multiplayer? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nix wrote: »
    Colour me intrigued.. Does it play like Diablo? Multiplayer? :)

No multiplayer.

A little like Diablo in terms of isometric dungeon crawling, but also not :pac: Basically you enter a room, fight some enemies, get a reward... and then you choose which room you want to go to next out of a few options. So you could choose the room with an upgrade (you get a choice of three usually), or the room with money, for example. As a run continues, your upgrades stack and you can mix up all sorts of crazy combos. But there are loads of complications and nuances and systems to get to grips with, and you can also build your character across runs with permanent health upgrades etc...

It's hard to describe, but the main thing is it feels properly great to play :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Amazing game and a unique take of the arpg,rgue-lite genre from a really special dev team.
    You havent experienced proper snappy controls and gameplay until you played this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Getting great reviews as well, so downloading it at the moment.

Feels like a cross between Bastion and Dead Cells so far. Seems good so far. Only done three runs but felt I got quite far in the third; beat a boss. Do you always go back to start when you die? I disliked Dead Cells for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Feels like a cross between Bastion and Dead Cells so far. Seems good so far. Only done three runs but felt I got quite far in the third; beat a boss. Do you always go back to start when you die? I disliked Dead Cells for that

I imagine so. That’s the point of rogue like games.

Managed to get to the first boss and she annihilated me. Going to play more tonight.

This feels very polished and exactly what I’d expect from the developer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The second boss is an all-timer - wrecked me first few times, now just really enjoy how intense it is. Think I made it to the final boss (or at least what was the final boss) once but got promptly annihilated - difficulty really ramps up after a while.

Worth taking on the optional
    Charon shopkeeper boss at least once for a decent upgrade.

Tried the bow out. Beat the boss that was giving me trouble previously on the first try!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This game is great! Played a few hours on Switch this morning.

Watched a few tips videos on YouTube... There are some things in the game that they don't explain very well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nice looking game and all but can't even get to the first boss haha I suddenly remember why I don't play these kinds of games but I will persevere with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got this for a tenner on the SA store , as I had some sweet sweet gold coins to use.

Excited to get stuck into it loved bastion and transistor .

This is addictive. Managed to get to Elysium once so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Picked it up on the Switch as well; I knew of it as it was from SuperGiant but was holding out til the final release. You can really tell by playing the developer and the time given to polish it up 'cos it plays like an absolute dream.

Elysium was curiously "easy", as I beat its boss on the second go but everything else has been kicking my ass, in a good way. The main gameplay loop is perfect.

I'd love to know how much audio they recorded because it feels like nearly every death, combination of God buffs or general choice has some dialogue response from various characters. And it's the characters that make me want to stick around as they're rather brilliantly written. Even the lead is charismatic as honestly, I was expecting him to be a bit dour.

Would love if Pyre made it to Switch

Played a good game at lunchtime. I can beat Meg in most games without taking damage now.

The soundtrack is on Spotify too (Hades Game Original Soundtrack by Darren Korb)

Soundtrack reminds me of early doom games. There's a god mode setting that buffs you the more you die apparently. Think I'll give that a go. I'm already starting to get fed up going back to the start. Can't beat the minotaur in Elysium.

I can beat the minotaur (just about), but not when he
    has help...
    :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A reviewer mentioned in passing that the game is something of a stealth Visual Novel, and yeah ... I can see it. The conversations, gift mechanics etc. does give the sense of a rudimentary VN snuck into a roguelike.

The constant deaths don't frustrate to the extent of - say - Dead Cells 'cos returning to chat with the various characters is an enjoyable tonic.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The constant deaths don't frustrate to the extent of - say - Dead Cells 'cos returning to chat with the various characters is an enjoyable tonic.

Yep there is nearly always something to do back in the hub. Stuff to upgrade, visit the broker, people to talk to ....

Favourite weapon? I haven't unlocked them all but I like the bow and lance. Fists are fun, but bloody hard to get good at.

TBH I stick with the bow because its spread shot is cheesy and convenient when powered up by the Gods. I can keep distance from the more nippier enemies and plug away at them. Ditto the shield to a lesser extent, which has to have been inspired by Captain America in its feel.

In total I've probably put about 10 hours in so far, and what amazes me is how expertly SuperGiant deal with the randomisation; it's the most "curated" roguelike experience I've played. I wonder how many intervanl values & stats they have keeping track of your overall runs, successes etc. because it's crazy the combinations they can account for.

I had just settled into a pattern of
    kicking Maegara's(sic) backside then boom - her sisters turn up
    . I might have already spotted one or two "generic" conversation responses but some effort was made to make even those feel characterful.

The bow is definitely the easiest to get to grips with, and some of the spread shot combos you can build are absolutely devastating for pretty much every enemy until the final boss. I have gotten some absolutely lethal gun builds going as well, but perhaps requires a little bit more luck than the bow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to buy this for PC.
    As a result of some previous offer or promotion of epic launcher you may have a €10 voucher for epic store.
    If you do the game is only €6.79 after using the voucher.
    I used it there on my sons epic launcher account.

Playing this a bit more now, one word addictive !

The story is done nicely aswell, also love the setting never though my classics degree would help me enjoy a game more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Get it:D

It's a great game. Have had since early access and enjoyed every minute of it.

Still haven’t beaten it, but that hasn’t decreased my fun at all.

Back to using the Stygian sword now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,318 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm all about the spear at the moment. Was a whisker away from getting out of the third stage just there but that's a tough final boss fight there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Well proud of myself, I killed Meg on the 6th attempt and on that same attempt 1 shot the second and almost the 3rd boss

I'm all about the spear at the moment. Was a whisker away from getting out of the third stage just there but that's a tough final boss fight there.

Thought the same blitzed me

So I’ve gone through runs with all the weapons other than the shield (most teaching the final boss, who I haven’t cleared just yet) and I’m definitely coming down on the side of the fists as the best weapon. Obviously it’s the luck of the boons, but the default magnetic pull upgrade is super handy for some of the annoying late game enemies such as the poison spitters. Also can make mince meat of the Elysium bosses. Needs a good status effect like hangover, but they’re fairly common. Nearly defeated
    Hades phase two
    , but had been a bit careless with my first two death defies so wasted health I shouldn’t have.

The gun is fine but really hobbled by the special - you really need a good boon to take advantage of that. The spread shot is great if you get it, but a little tricky to use correctly.

Bow is probably my second favourite. The super is just great from the off.

Spear and sword are both solid. Only issue with the sword is you really have to keep close to the enemies, which is a pain when dealing with the poison lads at the end. Need a good knock back power to counteract that.

Does anyone else find themselves plowing all your upgrades into one attack if possible? I barely use the attack that uses the red diamond at all. My regular attacks outclass it fairly quickly and I don't have to reload my regular attacks.

• Advertisement

All depends on the roll. I tend to do better when I have an equally balanced build, as your standard attack and special can complement each other pretty well. I don’t tend to use cast much until I get a decent upgrade, but I think a strong call is a fantastic upgrade to have later in a run.

I have had builds where you can focus on just one attack - like just keep bumping up your bow special. But generally would aim to have at least two really strong upgrades for both the standard and special. And think seeing a hammer door is definitely the most exciting upgrade :)

Advertisement