Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Cable Routing Fix

Options
  • 22-09-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I was a bit careless when replacing a gear cable and the internal cable housing came up into the frame when removing the old cable. I can't thread the new cable out of the bottom bracket opening now. The cable enters the frame at the location shown in the picture at:

https://road.cc/content/review/100079-rose-xeon-cw-4400

I'm aware that there are internal cable routing kits but the housing is only 3mm diameter and unlike newer bikes (the Rose Xeon CW is 2013) the frame entry and exit points appear to be only marginally wider than the housing.

Any ideas for getting the cable through ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I used a speed sensor magnet attached to a 2mm allen key. Guided the cable slowly down the downtube and used the magnet to tease it out through the cable guide. Your guiding the wire from side to side more than actually trying to pull it through the frame tube. Bike is a Canyon with similar entry point for the cable.

You tried the thread and hoover trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Got a big magnet of a mate who works in the esb. Some customers use them to slow down the meters but it works very well at picking up cables

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I used a speed sensor magnet attached to a 2mm allen key. Guided the cable slowly down the downtube and used the magnet to tease it out through the cable guide. Your guiding the wire from side to side more than actually trying to pull it through the frame tube. Bike is a Canyon with similar entry point for the cable.

Don't suppose you could make a photo of how you attached the magnet to the key ? A 4mm allen key squeezes into exit, 3mm goes in easily

You tried the thread and hoover trick?

Enlighten me ? How does this work ?

• Advertisement

Enlighten me ? How does this work ?

Seal any holes in the frame with tape or blue tac etc. saving for the entry and exit points of the cable you are looking to run and use the hoover to suck a fine thread through.You can then attach the cable and pull it through.

3:40 here and shows some other ways already mentioned here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had to do the string and hoover trick recently. I thought it would be a bit more difficult because I had been fiddling around trying to thread the cable by feel and with a magnet with little success. Using the hoover sorted it out in seconds. Ridiculously efficient. Would recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

check_six wrote: »
    Had to do the string and hoover trick recently. I thought it would be a bit more difficult because I had been fiddling around trying to thread the cable by feel and with a magnet with little success. Using the hoover sorted it out in seconds. Ridiculously efficient. Would recommend!

I don't recall having to close up the other guide holes either, as the thread is so light the vacuum will get it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Don't suppose you could make a photo of how you attached the magnet to the key ? A 4mm allen key squeezes into exit, 3mm goes in easily

Just seeing this now. As per the video posted, thats exactly how I used the magnet. The allen key inserted into the cable guide looked all sorts of wrong!:D

I hope you get sorted.

Hoover worked. Put bike on bike stand and tilted it so that down tube was near vertical. Pulled out hose completely and threaded cable through it. Then fed cable only through down tube with hoover at other end and out it popped. Continued feeding cable while pushing hose back into frame.

I tried tying thread to the cable but gave up, wasn't needed after all

Thanks for all the suggestions

• Advertisement
Advertisement