Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rival charities set up new super charity scam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    One point though- blaming charities for the privatisation of services that the State used to provide is incorrect. It was politicians who made these decisions to privatise services that the State used to provide in the first place. Its the politicians in power who created this situation, not the charities.
    Yes i'd go along with that to some extent, didnt some German fella say that charity was a failure of government? However, it is undeniable that the industry has grown legs beyond all reason and is a lucrative venture for some with massive duplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, charities are required to publish how much the CEO is earning and to place the remaining staff into categories.

Inner City Helping Homeless don't seem to doing that. They list one employee. But nothing in the accounts showing how much they are being paid. I could be wrong. But I cannot see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,519 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The problem with state funded charities with paid workers, like any of them that help the homeless, is that there is no incentive to fix the problem because if they do then they’re out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Inner City Helping Homeless don't seem to doing that. They list one employee. But nothing in the accounts showing how much they are being paid. I could be wrong. But I cannot see it.

What an interesting charity, thank you for pointing it out. I had a look at the 2018 accounts.

https://ichh.ie/about-us/

The CEO is Anthony Flynn. The Secretary to the Board is Anthony Flynn. One black mark for bad governance.

The Expenditure in 2018 was over €300k, but no breakdown is provided. Another black mark for poor accounting practice.

They had one employee, presumably the CEO. No salary figure is provided for the CEO. Another black mark for poor accounting practice.

Now, unless someone can point me to exemptions for charities with turnover less than 500k, this charity is not an exemplar of governance.

Incidentally, it seems that the Anthony Flynn who is CEO is also the Councillor by the same name.

https://councilmeetings.dublincity.ie/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=842

All very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Pronto63 wrote: »
    It might exist, I don’t know, but there should be a website which lists:

1. CEO salary
    2. Salary of top 10 highest paid staff - a total will do here.
    3. Amount of govt funding
    4. Amount of public donations
    5. % of non charitable spend - admin, rent, wages, advertising, etc.

All charity promotions and advertising should then contain the wording “check out our stats on charitystats.ie”

Exactly ... very little of the money actually going to the cause these days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

dublin49 wrote: »
    I am convinced in general charities in this country exist primarily for the betterment of the founders /trustees etc.Generally populated by failed politicans or wannabee business people looking for an easy road to a very comfortable lifestyle.They place heart rendering causes in front of us and carry out occasional acts of charity while living well and taking renumeration in line with business norms when their sector is no way comparable,their contribution to society is questionable because if they dissappeared the govenment would have to provide simliar services in a much more co ordinated manner.I accept there are genuine well meaning people involved in charity work but in general in my opinion they are being misled and mis - used for the provision of personal gain of a gilded minority who need no charity.

They call themselves "Social Entrepreneurs"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No im saying that there are atleast 3 , i think 4 charities in one building on fleet street, they share a canteen, meeting rooms etc... i would be shocked if colm isnt profiting off the others.

I'd be shocked if you came up with a specific allegation instead of spraying sh1te all around and hoping some of it sticks. Profiting how?

The wheel , which has its office in the same building as amnesty has on its board the head of the irish hospice foundation, the head of NALA and the head of womens aid ireland / former CEO of ruhama ,
    Thats just one, theyre all in bed together. These board positions are paid.

That's not the allegation you made though. The allegation you made was "more likely 1 CEO running 3 charities on 100k per charity all from the same desk".

Board positions at the Wheel aren't paid, btw. And no-one at the Wheel is earning €100k.

So would you like to back up your allegation with some facts, or would you have the decency to withdraw it?

When you go through amnestys financial report for 2018 they list their rental income as 120k. So all the boys are paying rent, rent that comes from Government funding. Interesting...

https://www.amnesty.ie/who-we-are/how-were-run/

Another company at that address is wheel.ie. They get 1.2m of funding from government and the EU.

https://www.wheel.ie/about-us/governance-finance

So what if they're paying rent? If Amnesty own the building, why wouldn't they charge rent to others? And if they are sharing facilities and working with each other, doesn't that help to reduce duplicationi?

What exactly is the allegation here?

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »
    I'd far prefer this and get rid of the charities altogether except for those with no paid employees (i.e all volunteers).

That's the way it should be in a first world country.

And the services that are currently provided by those charities - so, for example, almost all residential services for people with disability in Ireland are provided by charities like Brothers of Charity, Daughters of Charity, Enable Ireland, Cheshire, Cope - are you suggesting that we just shut down those services, or we take on those employees as public servants, with all the obligations that go with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We've seen enough examples of charities here with the ceo lining their pockets and looking after their own and to hell with the charity or the work it purpotedly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Feck this,many charities are not required to fundraise in this country as they are funded with grant aid from the Gov. But that is how most of them survive since most things have been outsourced by Gov to their friends. You try and become CEO of any charity funded by the Gov and see how you get on.

Anyway, Charities funded by Gov should not be called charities, maybe foundations or something I dunno. We pay enough in our taxes for all these entities to exist for example for the homeless (probably about ten or fifteen of them now if not more), mental health, cancer support and I could be here all night listing them all.

It's a bit of a joke isn't it? Publicly funded charities to keep the bad news away from Gov. Honestly.

Hard not to be cynical about it all really.

Feck this,many charities are not required to fundraise in this country as they are funded with grant aid from the Gov.
    What charities don't fundraise?

What charities don't fundraise?

I said "not required to". Like those who get humungous grants from Gov to take over the outsourcing of things they don't want to be associated with.

Those not funded by Gov, yep they crowdfund nowadays, but otherwise no need for the biggies and I'm sure you know to whom I am referring here.

I said "not required to". Like those who get humungous grants from Gov to take over the outsourcing of things they don't want to be associated with.

Those not funded by Gov, yep they crowdfund nowadays, but otherwise no need for the biggies and I'm sure you know to whom I am referring here.

The ones I listed above from the disability sector all provide services under contract to the Government AND all fundraise for other aspects of their services.

What 'biggies' are you referring to that don't fundraise?

The ones I listed above from the disability sector all provide services under contract to the Government AND all fundraise for other aspects of their services.

What 'biggies' are you referring to that don't fundraise?

Oh dear, my question is WHY do they need to fundraise at all if they are providing essential outsourced services? I would not give them a penny or a cent. We saw what happened with REHAB. And CRC at one point. My nephew avails of CRC to this day bless him, but when I heard what went on there with the bingo cards or whatever it was, it's a Nope from me anymore.

But I suppose they could ask Gov to give them MORE.

Oh dear, my question is WHY do they need to fundraise at all if they are providing essential outsourced services? I would not give them a penny or a cent. We saw what happened with REHAB. Nope.

But I suppose they could ask Gov to give them MORE.

Because they use the additional funds raised to provide additional services that aren't covered by the basic, bare minimum Government contracts.

You don't have to give them a penny. That's how charity fundraising works. If you don't want to donate, then don't.

But if you're going to suggest that there's something dodgy going on, you'd want to be sure of your facts.

Let those who don't pay taxes donate a few bob now and then. Those of us who pay taxes are paying a lot for Foreign Aid, and multiple "charities" via grants and so on.

I think I have used up all my kindness now for these dubious entities over the last 30 odd years. I'm done.

Because they use the additional funds raised to provide additional services that aren't covered by the basic, bare minimum Government contracts.

You don't have to give them a penny. That's how charity fundraising works. If you don't want to donate, then don't.

But if you're going to suggest that there's something dodgy going on, you'd want to be sure of your facts.

No one knows what's going on. There have been scandals in the past as I am sure you know. If they need to fundraise, the Gov is not providing enough is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

touts wrote: »
    Listening to Morning Ireland I was disappointed but not really surprised to see what was referred to as six "rival charities" have come together to form yet another charity (a super charity of sorts) to encourage Irish people to donate more money to them. The sense of entitlement dripping off the CEO being interviewed was startling. She saw nothing wrong with setting up another charity and all the associated costs and wages to do the work that the six founding "rival" charities all currently claimed to be doing. The charity industry in Ireland is completely out of control.

Here's an idea. Instead of setting up yet another charity with yet another CEO and yet more admin staff how about one of the existing charities take over the other five. That way they can get rid of five sets of CEOs (who are usually pulling in €200k+ a year each for these sizes of charity) and five sets of admin staff. That will safe millions and will be far more than this new super charity scam will bring in.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/six-irish-charities-form-alliance-to-respond-to-covid-19-in-vulnerable-communities-1.4360923?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Complete red herring of a thread started without even a minimal amount of research by the OP.

There is no "scam".

Check it out for yourself -

https://irishemergencyalliance.force.com/s/about-iea

elperello wrote: »
    Complete red herring of a thread started without even a minimal amount of research by the OP.

There is no "scam".

Check it out for yourself -

https://irishemergencyalliance.force.com/s/about-iea

But it is an interesting discussion just the same. And views needs to be aired I think. Often wonder if the biggest scandal is our nearly 1billion contribution to Foreign Aid PER ANNUM via taxpayer though. Not much info on that.

But we are still asked to support these charities in similar emerging countries. OK.

But it is an interesting discussion just the same. And views needs to be aired I think. Often wonder if the biggest scandal is our nearly 1billion contribution to Foreign Aid PER ANNUM via taxpayer though. Not much info on that.

But we are still asked to support these charities in similar emerging countries. OK.

I prefer discussion based on fact rather than "airing views".

If you or anyone else wants to know about Irish Government Foreign Aid there is a lot of information available. Just go and find it.

I doubt the Irish charity workers in Africa are living in a hut, and are earning a few bob too. There are so many rival charities, Trocaire and the other one and now this crowd of six merging here, and our annual donation of 1bn odd too.

We are a very generous nation, but sometimes asking questions is a good thing.

elperello wrote: »
    I prefer discussion based on fact rather than "airing views".

If you or anyone else wants to know about Irish Government Foreign Aid there is a lot of information available. Just go and find it.

Listen here, we should not ever have to go looking for it, it should be sent to us every year with our tax credit certificates. That's openness. Our taxes are paying for it.

So it is hidden mostly like I said.

'Not much info'? How many of the Irish Aid publications have you studied?
    https://www.irishaid.ie/news-publications/publications/

No one knows what's going on. There have been scandals in the past as I am sure you know.
    There have been scandals in everything in the past as I am sure you know - banks, sports clubs, churches - take your pick. Does that mean I get to sneer at all the current generations of those institutions without coming up with any specific issues?
    If they need to fundraise, the Gov is not providing enough is it?
    Bingo, now you're getting it.
    Let those who don't pay taxes donate a few bob now and then. Those of us who pay taxes are paying a lot for Foreign Aid, and multiple "charities" via grants and so on.

I think I have used up all my kindness now for these dubious entities over the last 30 odd years. I'm done.
    Personally I'd suggest we revise the tax system so that those who don't pay taxes pay actual taxes rather than dropping a few charitable crumbs from the table.

But regardless, if you don't want to donate, then don't donate. That's how charity works.

But if you're going to cast aspersions, please have something to actually back them up.

I doubt the Irish charity workers in Africa are living in a hut, and are earning a few bob too. There are so many rival charities, Trocaire and the other one and now this crowd of six merging here, and our annual donation of 1bn odd too.

We are a very generous nation, but sometimes asking questions is a good thing.

If you have questions ask the people with the answers.
    Listen here, we should not ever have to go looking for it, it should be sent to us every year with our tax credit certificates. That's openness. Our taxes are paying for it.

Your taxes pay for a lot of things.

All public monies should be and are accounted for.

All you need to do is use the computer and look in the right places.

Mostly hidden, eh?

https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

Would you like the Government to print out the hundreds of pages of this website and send a telephone book sized document with your tax credits?

How hard did you look for information before deciding it was 'mostly hidden'?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ever since the Rehab scandal broke I swore I’d never give to an Irish charity again. - what was it? Out of €4.4m in scratch card sales, only about €35k actually made it into the actual fund that the charity spent to help people.....

Then shortly afterwards there was another (suicide?) charity where the guy and his family were creaming expenses, including his wife driving an Audi Q8 + all her diesel, all on the charity’s expenses.....

The only charity I ever give to nowadays is the RNLI. Why? Because I see what they do, I see them saving lives. I see them risking their lives to help others.

• Advertisement

Gway, you won't convince me that the Charity sector in this country should not be without criticism. Shoo.

And by the way I can read things and find things out in case you think I am incapable. It is just not visible or available for most people anyway. It is hidden away in the bowels of the DFA and other places where it is rather difficult to find, mostly for those (forgive me) who are a little older and donate to charities but may not have access to easily accessible information.

Advertisement