Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Glass - Nordmende Oven Door.

Options
  • 22-09-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a Nordmende double oven and some time ago the glass exploded - a regular enough occurrence, i believe. I got on to the appliance supplier but apparently their supplier is in China and is largely non-responsive.

They have recommended I go to a glass maker and have the piece made, as the supply just doesn't seem to be forthcoming. Does anyone here have any experience of this? If so, would you have any recommendations?

I'm in Celbridge, but willing to travel if I need to - there's only so many stir frys or cooking out of the small oven a man can do!

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Hi, I had exactly this problem a number of years ago. I got on to the place I bought it and they fobbed me off as best they could. I threatened legal action (think about just how dangerous this is if a small child or pet was in the area when the explosion happened) still to no avail. I spoke to the Consumer Rights Commission and they said products have to be fit for purpose and clearly this oven was not! Still nothing from the shop.
    A friend of mine with a high profile twitter account tweeted them and straight away they were on to me to replace and re fit the over free of charge, which they did.
    These are faulty products, it cant be acceptable that oven doors just explode. Please get on to the shop where you bought the oven, your contract is with them.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Contractual liability notwithstanding, the supply of the part just isn't there. Cost is next to nothing, to be honest, to have a working oven again. I'm seeking alternatives now rather than recompense, but I appreciate the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Contractual liability notwithstanding, the supply of the part just isn't there. Cost is next to nothing, to be honest, to have a working oven again. I'm seeking alternatives now rather than recompense, but I appreciate the reply :)

You can’t just put standard glass into an oven door!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

You can’t just put standard glass into an oven door!

I am aware of that :rolleyes: My first post states that I had been advised to go to a glass maker, wondered if anybody had had experience of that. I'm sure there are glass makers around who have experience of providing tempered glass.

I am aware of that :rolleyes: My first post states that I had been advised to go to a glass maker, wondered if anybody had had experience of that. I'm sure there are glass makers around who have experience of providing tempered glass.

Try First Glass in Ballycoolin, they will point you in the right direction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

tempered glass is the type you need...

There is a shop in the Kilester village that used to break used appliances and sell parts - maybe he still does- you could try him. Got some bits from him before.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    tempered glass is the type you need...

There is a shop in the Kilester village that used to break used appliances and sell parts - maybe he still does- you could try him. Got some bits from him before.

Mastercare!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Toby22

Hi,

I broke the glass on my stove door and got a tempered glass replacement from local glass/picture framer. I just drew a template for him

Advertisement