Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WLR News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gardner wrote: »
    ha! Kelly is a drug cheat and has lied about it several times so i wouldn't trust him as far as i would throw him.

thought that was roche?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

ha! Kelly is a drug cheat and has lied about it several times so i wouldn't trust him as far as i would throw him.

I bet he has a great opinion of you too.

But he seems to be still making a living, he was falsely accused by a no-hoper (Kimmage) and a convicted drug pusher (can't remember his name). Do you think he'd still be in business if he wasn't clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

He is also a mentor of Bennetts, who took him out for spins as a young lad in the local league races etc... rode club spins with him every weekend, took him into the An Post Sean Kelly team early in his career.. and also lives quite close to him, so whatever about Kellys credentials elsewhere, I will trust his knowledge of the local geography around Carrick and whether a fella is Waterford or Tipp... and whether that fella - who he has known most of his adult life, considers himself Waterford or Tipp.

Now back in your box troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Gardner

91wx763 wrote: »
    I bet he has a great opinion of you too.

But he seems to be still making a living, he was falsely accused by a no-hoper (Kimmage) and a convicted drug pusher (can't remember his name). Do you think he'd still be in business if he wasn't clean.

nothing false about it whatsoever. He returned an adverse doping result for a product called Stimul in Paris-Brussels in 1984 and he tested positive for codeine in a doping test at the Tour of the Basque Country in 1988.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    He is also a mentor of Bennetts, who took him out for spins as a young lad in the local league races etc... rode club spins with him every weekend, took him into the An Post Sean Kelly team early in his career.. and also lives quite close to him, so whatever about Kellys credentials elsewhere, I will trust his knowledge of the local geography around Carrick and whether a fella is Waterford or Tipp... and whether that fella - who he has known most of his adult life, considers himself Waterford or Tipp.

Now back in your box troll.

Blue Peter badge for the drug cheat :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nothing false about it whatsoever. He returned an adverse doping result for a product called Stimul in Paris-Brussels in 1984 and he tested positive for codeine in a doping test at the Tour of the Basque Country in 1988.

codeine would have been common enough in over the counter products then, still is to a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

No idea what this has got to do with WLR. The quality of debates on this and the rest of the Waterford threads have gone diabolical. Are these not being moderated anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

iseegirls wrote: »
    No idea what this has got to do with WLR. The quality of debates on this and the rest of the Waterford threads have gone diabolical. Are these not being moderated anymore?

Here here!

We don't care about the cycling, we want to hear all the gossip from the broadcast centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think I'm to partly to blame. I criticised them for repeated stating in a recent news story that a Waterford athlete was actually from a town in Tipperary.

Bradley Wiggins tried to claim him for Britain on Eurosport yesterday, while WLR are trying to give him away to Tipperary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Here here!

We don't care about the cycling, we want to hear all the gossip from the broadcast centre.

Yeah, what happened with Liz and the news editors? She was quite good reading out the news and sports, and unless i missed it there was nothing said about her departure. Seems odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Yeah, what happened with Liz and the news editors? She was quite good reading out the news and sports, and unless i missed it there was nothing said about her departure. Seems odd.

Its all a big secret very hush hush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

On reasons to be positive there's nothing but negativity atm.

wasn't there a story years ago about someone from local radio (not sure which station) was caught robbing in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Here here!

you and me both mate come on then lets have it who want dish the dirt add me on facebook whatsapp instagram and tell me if not say here

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Good Luck to Liz in whatever direction she chooses to point her career. She was a staple of the station for years and her news editorials were well rounded and very professional, in my opinion.

I had noticed she was missing and I find I've moved my listening to Radio One for the most part now, but I think that's more a reflection of my age than anything else.

I think a lot of people have moved over to Radio 1 and maybe Newstalk in recent times, but the JNLR figures wont show this because they use a lot of spin when they come out.

The sports coverage on it is shocking. Tell me of one decent interview any of them did that was newsworthy, informative or hard hitting? When was the last time you recommend to a mate of a decent interview/podcast to listen back to on WLR? It was probably Kevin Casey with Maurice Shanahan.
    OTB and Second Captains is where the standard is at and not one of the so called local journalists would lace their boots in any shape or form.

The owners of WLR dont care about sport. Everyone knows that. They must be the only local radio station in the country that does not have a propper sports programme running through Saturday and Sunday afternoon. This is the case since Catherine Power left. Instead we have a show from 12 noon to 1pm, minus the time allocated for News, death notices and adverts suring the hour. In total this is about 40-45 minutes.

As for the last great interview in relation to sport on WLR, it must be the Late Kevin Casey's interview with Maurice Shanahan.

Hes shocking. What kind of a weird, accent less voice is that? Also Ollie Caroll hes certainly not from Waterford with an accent like that..

Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

blacksuir wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have moved over to Radio 1 and maybe Newstalk in recent times, but the JNLR figures wont show this because they use a lot of spin when they come out.

Can see that all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wish Damien Tiernen would stop that stupid country accent

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

wasn't there a story years ago about someone from local radio (not sure which station) was caught robbing in town?

yes and true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Silk shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

PTH2009 wrote: »

It could be worse imagine if Paul Collins was still there

And the false laugh. Maybe a few live interviews might also be handy. At least when Billy McCarthy did the show because he done much of it live he was able to put listeners questions to the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

blacksuir wrote: »
    And the false laugh. Maybe a few live interviews might also be handy. At least when Billy McCarthy did the show because he done much of it live he was able to put listeners questions to the guests.

Sometimes it feels like DT is taking the mick out of some people's comments and that interview with the lads on the quay showed that

'Ah having a few cans are ye'

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Sometimes it feels like DT is taking the mick out of some people's comments and that interview with the lads on the quay showed that

Is that all ya can come up with......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Well I stopped listening to him after the whole Mary butler/ David Cullinane.
    One comment was read out about him being like 'a dog with a bone' with regards Cullinane. His next guest was in studio, Damien started barking on air and they both laughed.

I think Damien Tiernan is easily the best thing that has ever happened to WLR fm. Hes fearless when he is interviewing all manner of people from the local shop owner right up to Leo Varadkar. He wont back down or accept brush offs and he puts the questions of his listeners right to the ears of his guests. His interviews with Butler and Cummins stuck out for me in terms of skill and professionalism. He wont give anyone an inch to hide.
    However, on more occasions than I would like, i noticed an unpleasant side to his character where he will hone in on a particular person, like that lad with the cans, and present the idea of a random interview with ordinary people whereas in reality he is laughing at them and not at all with them. Its subtle but its there in his body language and slightly hidden sneers. There is almost a touch of the school bully in him at times like that which is a shame as overall hes an excellent journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

I think Damien Tiernan is easily the best thing that has ever happened to WLR fm. Hes fearless when he is interviewing all manner of people from the local shop owner right up to Leo Varadkar. He wont back down or accept brush offs and he puts the questions of his listeners right to the ears of his guests. His interviews with Butler and Cummins stuck out for me in terms of skill and professionalism. He wont give anyone an inch to hide.
    However, on more occasions than I would like, i noticed an unpleasant side to his character where he will hone in on a particular person, like that lad with the cans, and present the idea of a random interview with ordinary people whereas in reality he is laughing at them and not at all with them. Its subtle but its there in his body language and slightly hidden sneers. There is almost a touch of the school bully in him at times like that which is a shame as overall hes an excellent journalist.

I feel the same, find it hard to articulate how i feel about him but you have hit nail on the head. I think the thing that happened on the Quay was just not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

dzilla wrote: »
    I feel the same, find it hard to articulate how i feel about him but you have hit nail on the head. I think the thing that happened on the Quay was just not needed.

he want be ashamed of himself in my opinion

• Advertisement

Still no closer to what happened to Liz..at this stage maybe she has been abducted by aliens and is reading out the hourly news headlines on Mars with her unique and recognizable voice.
    Whatever came to pass, she was great on the news ill give her that. Very little stuttering and faffing about like most of them in that building!

Advertisement