Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID and 8 Seater Taxis/Minibus

Options
  • 19-09-2020 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭

We need to move 13/14 people about 40Km next Friday. I can't find any details on any government page or on the taxi regulators page about distancing in this case, as it falls under Level 3.

I rang a couple of taxi companies, they didn't seem too sure, and said 5 passengers could probably fit into a VW Transporter. We would have no issue renting 3 of them, but we would need to be sure.

Journey is within Dublin County. A 52 seat bus won't do as the last stretch of road is too narrow for one.

Does anybody know of specific guidelines for taxis, or do we just take their word for it?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is it an essential trip? The current guidelines now say that public transport should only be used for essential trips.

I'm not certain if it officially goes against the guidelines, but I'd say 6 people in a vehicle with no distancing would certainly go against the spirit of the restrictions, if not the letter of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

bk wrote: »
    Is it an essential trip? The current guidelines now say that public transport should only be used for essential trips.

I'm not certain if it officially goes against the guidelines, but I'd say 6 people in a vehicle with no distancing would certainly go against the spirit of the restrictions, if not the letter of the law.

Thanks, was thinking that too.

Yes, the trip is essential and cannot be moved, no way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If it's an indoor meeting it should be cancelled and if more than 15 outdoors should also be cancelled according to level 3

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#organised-indoor-gatherings

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

Would a minibus not work ie a 25/30 seater, there is a few companies about with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

We're going with 3 x 16 seater buses as they can be driven to the destination and will allow for plenty of spacing. 4 of us will travel in 2 cars (families), so 3 people in each minibus.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I think most taxi drivers/companies would be glad of any bit of business they could get regardless of govt. guidelines or reccomendations

Advertisement