Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cigarettes gone up?

• 08-05-2020 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Have manufacturers put 20 smokes up by 10c? seems like they have in my local shop anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

vicwatson wrote: »
    Have manufacturers put 20 smokes up by 10c? seems like they have in my local shop anyway.

Marlboro 28s changed to 27 now!
    Box has a big empty gap in it!
    Not sure if the price changed as I was buying other items and only saw it afterwards

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Gone down now 20c with the VAT decrease for the next 6 months.

But the budget is in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

JPS taking the Pee for years, 30, down to 27, back up to 28 and now 29 and of course price increased. B&H have been at the same stunt for years but of course there's not much of a smoking lobby out there to complain. About to start a course of meds to get off this horrible & costly habit.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

If they left the number in the pack alone @20, Major would still be around. They upped it to 23, changed the pack and supplier, then they couldn't vend out of the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

How much are cigarettes these days? So so glad I quit, read the Allen Carr book folks and put the money in a jar every day.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm wrong but JPS 29"s were €16.00, this morning €15.70? that's a whopping €0.30 drop, I got a full receipt to confirm it.

How much are cigarettes these days? So so glad I quit, read the Allen Carr book folks and put the money in a jar every day.

Haven't an updated price list to hand, but as of last week, jps were 11.90, mayfair 12.10, benson 13.80, job 13.50. Marlboro 13.90 All machine prices, so might be 10c less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

read the Allen Carr book folks and put the money in a jar every day.
    Comments like this are not welcome on this forum. Read the charter before posting.

So John Player acting the maggot again, I thought the new €15.70 for 29"s as too good to be true (were €16.00.

Theyve yet again reduced the box from 30, to 29 (no price decrease of course) now the box is 28"s for €15.70, so basically no VAT reduction and price increase for less. Just acting the
    Bo€€ox basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

Do people still pay extortionate amounts of money to enable them to inhale toxic gases into their lungs?

Why is this thread even permitted on Boards.ie? Surely any talk of this subject should be banned here as the net result is 100% negative!

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Do people still pay extortionate amounts of money to enable them to inhale toxic gases into their lungs?

Why is this thread even permitted on Boards.ie? Surely any talk of this subject should be banned here as the net result is 100% negative!

Thank you for your insightful input but calling for a Ban for a perfectly ligitimate question is completely over the Top, will we request a ban for all threads alcohol related next? Free speech within the realms of decency, I hope will not be curtailed just because your clearly anti topic. Just ignore the Thread if it causes you such offence, but do try not judge others.

Dempo1, leave it.
    highdef, there was already a warning in thread. Do not post here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Cough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Don't smoke, so should not be commenting I suppose. But how are wans in Moore Street doing with the knock off cigs under their prams?

LOL, everything will find its level. Bet they deliver on demand anyway, just like the knock off grog.

Be careful out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your insightful input but calling for a Ban for a perfectly ligitimate question is completely over the Top, will we request a ban for all threads alcohol related next? Free speech within the realms of decency, I hope will not be curtailed just because your clearly anti topic. Just ignore the Thread if it causes you such offence, but do try not judge others.

Tobacco smoking is still legal in this country.The goverment gains an extortinate amount of tax from it.You can not all of it finds it's way into the health service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Tobacco prices reduced due to the government reducing the VAT rate across the board on lots of goods.Some companies were bound to take advantage.Don't hold your breath for next month's budget-price reduction is a short holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

BeerNut wrote: »
    Comments like this are not welcome on this forum. Read the charter before posting.

He's dead right you would want to change your attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I gave up smoking nearly 20 years ago that was my personal choice.

However I still follow the price and I am shocked by the price.
    I think my last pack of 20 was about £3.

I think it is very unfair how much tax is put on the fags many old people enjoy a smoke.

People have personal choice which I am 100% with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

The high price has lead people to quit and more importantly discouraged young people from starting. On balance it's better that they are the price they are and increasing each year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Dempo1 wrote: »
    JPS taking the Pee for years, 30, down to 27, back up to 28 and now 29 and of course price increased. B&H have been at the same stunt for years but of course there's not much of a smoking lobby out there to complain. About to start a course of meds to get off this horrible & costly habit.

Cold Turkey.

• Advertisement

There is a forum for quitting smoking here. It's not up for discussion on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

McCrack wrote: »
    The high price has lead people to quit and more importantly discouraged young people from starting. On balance it's better that they are the price they are and increasing each year
    The high price is making people look at other ways to get smokes.
    2014; ireland-had-third-highest-illegal-tobacco-trade-in-europe-1389007-Mar2014/
    2020; tobacco-seizures-down-by-75-as-smugglers-use-sophisticated-concealments

Increasing the price of cigarettes just means that Revenue get less tax. On paper, it may look like less people smoke, as less buy the taxed smokes, but in fact people are just buying the cigarettes from untaxed sources.

Sales have boomed since April, because people haven't been abroad buying on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

the_syco wrote: »
    The high price is making people look at other ways to get smokes.
    2014; ireland-had-third-highest-illegal-tobacco-trade-in-europe-1389007-Mar2014/
    2020; tobacco-seizures-down-by-75-as-smugglers-use-sophisticated-concealments

Increasing the price of cigarettes just means that Revenue get less tax. On paper, it may look like less people smoke, as less buy the taxed smokes, but in fact people are just buying the cigarettes from untaxed sources.

Cost of cigs seems to have been increased lately by 20-25 cent per packet

Manufacturer increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Truckermal wrote: »
    He's dead right you would want to change your attitude.

Tobacco is an easy target for tax purposes because smokers don’t get any sympathy from all quarters. But I find that it’s mostly the less well off that account for the majority of smokers.

Price increase from next Monday, 30c on a pack of 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

On all cigerattes?.. hadn't they already gone up from last budget

Manufacturers increase. Delivery charges up from the budget and recent fuel hikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I’ll follow them to €20.

Advertisement