Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naval warships off the SE coast?

• 18-09-2020 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

[EDIT] Never mind, ghost images.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Are they? HMS Albion is off the Cork/Waterford coast at the moment heading East at 17knots. Yesterday the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elisebeth passed by the Kinsale Gas Rigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Some kind of NATO training exercise I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Board Walker

roundymac wrote: »
    Are they? HMS Albion is off the Cork/Waterford coast at the moment heading East at 17knots. Yesterday the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elisebeth passed by the Kinsale Gas Rigs.

Was it viewable on Marine traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Was it viewable on Marine traffic?

Yes I could see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Only thing was if you clicked or tapped them they showed that they'd been there for 15 hours (at the time I did so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah there's a big NATO interoperability exercise happening all week in the Celtic Sea / eastern Atlantic, I was reading somewhere the Brits and the French are going to attack each other's fleets from carrier launched aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah there's a big NATO interoperability exercise happening all week in the Celtic Sea / eastern Atlantic, I was reading somewhere the Brits and the French are going to attack each other's fleets from carrier launched aircraft.

The French attacked the UK carriers with land based aircraft.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british-flagship-fends-off-air-attacks-from-french-jets/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Larbre34 wrote: »

Wouldn't it be fantastic to get to go on one of these exercises as a casual observer? and spend a few days just wandering around a warship while out on one of these operations...

You'd probably be politly told to F/O, then impolitly if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Would that not be Irish territorial waters.... and not need permission??

• Advertisement

No, territorial waters extend to only 12 miles, open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

No, territorial waters extend to only 12 miles, open to correction.

Yep 12 miles, can claim up to 24 but we don't.

These were all virtual AIS targets I have been led to believe, part of the NATO ops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Exercise Joint Warrior is starting on Oct 4th and will involve 16 warships from different navies, all off the west coast of Scotland. So may be seeing more interesting AIS images.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/operations/united-kingdom/exercise-joint-warrior

Would that not be Irish territorial waters.... and not need permission??
    From us?,,,And what if we were to say no.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

From us?,,,And what if we were to say no.

I remember Professor Brian Cox was telling a story in an interview once, about being up for a spin in a EuroFighter Typhoon, and the RAF pilot asked "Do you want to chase the sunset and see the sun rising on the western horizon"

to which Cox replied "yeah, but won't that mean flying over Ireland?"

To which the RAF pilot replied "yeah, but what are they gonna do? Send up their Cessna?"

I'm guessing on (and under) the water, it's a similar story....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭zg3409

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    These were all virtual AIS targets I have been led to believe, part of the NATO ops.

I used to have access to a UK & ROI wide AIS system and one day it suddenly flagged up an alert of 2 ships with same ID in different locations. Looking back at history UK warship "cloned" the ID of another ship which was in another part of UK. The system immediately automatically identified the rogue ship.

From my understanding in non war conditions they typically leave AIS on, for collision avoidance, but sometimes pretend to be a different vessel if trying to catch fishing violations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

zg3409 wrote: »
    I used to have access to a UK & ROI wide AIS system and one day it suddenly flagged up an alert of 2 ships with same ID in different locations. Looking back at history UK warship "cloned" the ID of another ship which was in another part of UK. The system immediately automatically identified the rogue ship.

From my understanding in non war conditions they typically leave AIS on, for collision avoidance, but sometimes pretend to be a different vessel if trying to catch fishing violations etc.

Our navy normally shut down a few minutes after leaving the Port of Cork area of responsibility. Silent after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Turns out this was an AIS spoofing exercise. None of the "observed" ships were in the area at the time.

Advertisement