Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimpy in Waterford

Options
  • 17-09-2020 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Does anyone recall the Wimpy in Waterford? It was in the street leading to the City Square centre .There was a man who owned it he would be going round the tables asking if everything were OK. I think Wimpy is a UK MacDonalds type pace

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Never mind the wimpy. Burgerland was where it was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yeah, I remember Wimpy. And Burgerland. Though I seem to recall Burgerland having something of a bad rep, though I think that may have been more the Clonmel branch than Waterford.

I've heard the previous generation talk about it. Was supposed to be lovely after a few drinks.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Gene Ronan owned the Wimpy in Waterford if Im not mistaken and there was a chap called Billy Hoare who used to manage it for him. It was on the corner on Peter Street and Arundel Square. Prior to being in that location, it was located on the corner or broad street, that one was owned by the Reid's. I could have this arseways though. I only remember the one in Peter Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I very vaguely remember that place, and its after triggering a memory of another fast food type cafe that maybe someone can help me name.
    I remember a greasy spoon type spot where you could sit down and have burgers and chips, during break time when I was in school. it was located where the Foundry is now, or somewhere very near there. Very nice food and not one of the most populated lunch time spots so you had a decent amount of time there.

I wish i could remember the name but its gone, did that place exist or am i just dreaming??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I very vaguely remember that place, and its after triggering a memory of another fast food type cafe that maybe someone can help me name.
    I remember a greasy spoon type spot where you could sit down and have burgers and chips, during break time when I was in school. it was located where the Foundry is now, or somewhere very near there. Very nice food and not one of the most populated lunch time spots so you had a decent amount of time there.

I wish i could remember the name but its gone, did that place exist or am i just dreaming??

Beefy King

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Beefy King

Beefy King was essentially where Hillbillies is now if I remember it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Beefy King was essentially where Hillbillies is now if I remember it right?

Yeah it is ,but he said around the foundry the Beefy King is only place i can think of ,there might of been another place the other side of the road im not too sure,and he said the food was very nice so i dont think it was the beefy king :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i read everyones wimpy in waterford

Beefy King

I remember the Beefy King but this other place im thinking of, circa late 80s early 90s, was definitely down somewhere along that strip where Xtra Vision was, where the betting office and the Foundry is now.

The name La Palma and La Bamba is coming to the fore, maybe someone can confirm this. As i recall, it was fairly bland in there decor wise but the burgers were lovely and cheap too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Wasn't la palma or some pizza place where the foundry was and there was another chipper across the road beside where Sinnotts was with an Italian name. Delacatas (?)

south wrote: »
    Wasn't la palma or some pizza place where the foundry was and there was another chipper across the road beside where Sinnotts was with an Italian name. Delacatas (?)

Maybe it was la palma, my memory of it was a bland looking place with a few seats inside, never seemed to be packed, almost like a hidden gem for lads that werent running down to Burgerland or Skippers on Patrick Street. I only have fragments of the place in my mind, its possible the name escapes me but im absolutely sure it was on the corner where the Foundry stands because that rood was always busy, even back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I remember the Wimpy it was just up from Sully's staff were sound.
    For burgers the Chuck Wagon the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

when the palma opened first it was by the corner, either where current Ladbrokes or the lounge are located now, fairly low class seats and tables and they focussed more on take aways. but the food was unreal, I don't recall them doing burgers but they did pizzas and pasta and lasagne dishes.

they then moved to the current espresso and became more of a restaurant without the takeaways. then eventually moved to the mall and closed down a few years later. espresso took the old palma building on Parnell street, still there now, same family had both.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Micky Bluenips

Think that was on Parnell Street the entrance to that little shoping area that used be there . Walshes I think. Twas 24 hours. Lovely bacon egg sausage and chips after feed of drink. Wasn't there long.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dexpat

Possibly the Chuck Wagon? Although I think that that was more of a late night place. It was in town somewhere but not exactly sure because I was never in there sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Dexpat wrote: »
    Possibly the Chuck Wagon? Although I think that that was more of a late night place. It was in town somewhere but not exactly sure because I was never in there sober.

It must have been popular with the late night crew because they were the sponsors of the taxi drivers soccer team in the factory league back in the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

Was the Chuck Wagon in John Roberts Square, around where Supermacs is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

We used to always go to Wimpy for my cousin's birthday as a kid. I was devastated when it burnt down.
    I remember there was a big picture of a Knickerbocker Glory on the wall on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dexpat

deisemum wrote: »
    Was the Chuck Wagon in John Roberts Square, around where Supermacs is now?

Yeah I think it was up around there somewhere or possibly on Michael St near where Dealz is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Beefy King

Sausage special boi, £1.00 , Deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

The Chuck Wagon was beside A-Wear or as it was before re-branding Gaywear (a fact!). For the young people A-Wear is where Intersport Elverys is now. For the very old its where Burtons was!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    Sausage special boi, £1.00 , Deadly

And a can of pineapple Smak....

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Stripes...where the book centre is now,was another pre Mickey D's type place.Across from where Jaarz is now was called the Venitian Grill,I remember the building and the sign,but I don't ever remember it being open...this was the mid 80s....patrick street chipper for the mince and onion pies was the business..then it was called Skippers...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rustyman101

The Chuck Wagon was beside A-Wear or as it was before re-branding Gaywear (a fact!). For the young people A-Wear is where Intersport Elverys is now. For the very old its where Burtons was!
    always a sale on in Burtons !

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

always a sale on in Burtons !

And Peter France had one long 'Closing Down Sale' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Burgerland for the cheese burgers and chips, Wimpy for the sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I remember when there was a kentucky down in O Connell Street

Jesus i miss those breasts of chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I remember when there was a kentucky down in O Connell Street