Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Real world PHEV mpg

Options
  • 14-09-2020 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone give some real world experience of fuel efficiency with a PHEV? I know it is all dependent on the mix of driving but as far as I can see the wltp numbers are irrelevant and not going to be seen in reality. I’m curious what people actually get as I am considering buying a PHEV. My mix will be less than 50 km in general with a once maybe twice a month 200 km trip. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

jp101 wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anyone give some real world experience of fuel efficiency with a PHEV? I know it is all dependent on the mix of driving but as far as I can see the wltp numbers are irrelevant and not going to be seen in reality. I’m curious what people actually get as I am considering buying a PHEV. My mix will be less than 50 km in general with a once maybe twice a month 200 km trip. Any input would be appreciated.

If you buy a modern PHEV it will do almost 100% of that 50km commute in EV mode so you would use no petrol. What PHEV have you in mind, because some wont do 50km in EV mode, so it does depend.

For the 200km trip you will easily enough get 5l/100km.

See my Cork-Dublin run here in a PHEV
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111052681&postcount=106

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

with PHEVs it really depends on the driver and 'normal usage'

I've a G20 330e since June and so far i've averaged about 95mpg since new. However - I can go a week without using a drop of petrol or the opposite going a week without battery. I took it out west for a week and didn't have access to a charger so I was getting typical 2l petrol mpg from it.

One of my typical runs is an 85km round trip and I can average about 105mpg on that trip.

I have a charger at home and it generally is on charge when at home - takes about 3 hours to get to full charge giving about 42-48km range

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at a new PHEV either a suv like a Ford Kuga or Octavia when they arrive. Both claim 50km on ev. Sounds as if I would get pretty good results then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Hi
    Can anyone give some real world experience of fuel efficiency with a PHEV?

Same car, same driver, all separate tallies.

cNP19tA.jpg
    WI9Tv8d.jpg
    eTABmjr.jpg

But, as said, with a regular 50km commute, 5 days per week, you'd do well with a PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Kramer wrote: »
    Same car, same driver, all separate tallies.]

But, as said, with a regular 50km commute, 5 days per week, you'd do well with a PHEV.

At the end of the day what's your fuel cost vs distance driven on average? Including elec of course!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at a new PHEV either a suv like a Ford Kuga or Octavia when they arrive. Both claim 50km on ev. Sounds as if I would get pretty good results then.

Those ranges can be a bid misleading. Real world tests show 45km max at 50km/h in an urbal environment are your real world limits on the small battery and motor.

Both octavia and kuge start at 36k for phev. I'd say nearer 38 for mid range model. A lot of money to drive on a battery for 40km....

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Lantus wrote: »
    Those ranges can be a bid misleading. Real world tests show 45km max at 50km/h in an urbal environment are your real world limits on the small battery and motor.

Both octavia and kuge start at 36k for phev. I'd say nearer 38 for mid range model. A lot of money to drive on a battery for 40km....

Well I reckon that the 45km will cover 90% of my trips. I am spending the same amount on a diesel anyway so it suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭User1998

My long term average is 100mpg. Dublin to Wexford I get 50-55mpg. 171 Golf GTE. Really depends on your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Lantus wrote: »
    At the end of the day what's your fuel cost vs distance driven on average? Including elec of course!!

Anywhere from 3.7c/km (1.9L/100km as shown above, incl. 17kWh/100km of electricity at 8c/kWh)) to 10c/km (almost all ICE usage).
    It's averaged under 7c/km for 25,000km, approximately 55mpg in old money, electricity costs included.
    That doesn't include toll & motortax savings of course & includes some long, high speed, €uropean trips.

PHEVs can be great if they work for you, terrible if they don't & often a worse choice than a BEV. Horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pappajohn

Hi all, long time lurker here. This is my experience with a PHEV and mpg

I have an Ioniq Premium SE PHEV (UK import) and typically get between 55-60kms on electric only. But as already said so much depends on usage,speed and even terrain.

With trips of about 100 kms on national and regional roads I've often seen 100-150 mpg. I used to do long spins of over 200kms, also on N & R roads, and could easily achieve 85-100mpg in hybrid Eco mode and about 70-75 in Sport mode. Since I bought the PHEV my driving style is now much more relaxed and I no longer see the need to rush here or there. With Covid I also seldom do any journeys beyond the EV range and will probably switch to a used BEV next year. I'm looking forward to that but my PHEV experience has really shown me how to drive economically.

Surprisingly the Kuga PHEV has decent EV range (advertised 56kms/35 miles) considering its size/shape. Autoexpress in their review say 28-30 miles is more realistic. However they are not a fan of the CVT gearbox. There has also been reports about possible fire risk in high-voltage battery. See Irish Examiner article - 13th August "Ford suspends the sale of new Kuga PHEV due to fire risk").

If you could live with a smaller boot & crossover style, you could also investigate the recently launched KIA XCeed PHEV, which is more sensibly priced at 28,350 euro or even less so the bigger Niro Phev. For any PHEV however you have to plug in daily to get anyware close to advertised EV range or to obtain decent hybrid mpg consumption. If that is too much of a chore or can't do it at home/work then perhaps look elsewhere than PHEV.

• Advertisement

Well I reckon that the 45km will cover 90% of my trips. I am spending the same amount on a diesel anyway so it suits me.

Sounds OK then. Both cars look well. New octavia especially so but I'd never rush into the first batch...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

526508.png

Just to chime in here. I’ve had an Outlander for a couple of years. This is my long term fuel consumption. It varies hugely if there are lots of long trips. The peaks are trips from Dublin to Cork without charging at the other end. The Outlander is big and heavy so is likely worst case scenario for a PHEV.

My take on it is that it’s only really worthwhile if 90% of your driving is in range or very close to it. Any long trips at motorway speeds aren’t great. ~35-38mpg leaving home with a flat battery. I occasionally do a 120 mile round trip and average 45mpg with a full battery. 50mpg+ is doable with a charge at the far end.

At the end of the day, I WFH and rarely use petrol. I love the size and wild find it hard to come up with a full EV that would tick all the boxes right now. If it suits your lifestyle then it’s a good compromise. If you are likely to run the engine often then I’d be looking at an EV (or diesel!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Advertisement