Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Watch Collection Competition

Options
  • 15-09-2020 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭

Having seen a similar game online I wouder would people on here be interested in doing one.

General idea is that each player get say €40k in imaginary money to spend on Chrono24. You have to buy for asking price. And you have to spend 90% of the money.

Certain categories have to be covered...dress watch, diver, chrono etc.

A 5 watch collection over a week. You gather the links and PM them to me., I will collate and post a picture of each collection "ID guy style".

[IMG][/img]y94zpfqsdd401.jpg

At the end of the week we can put up a poll and allow the people to vote on their favourite collection (you cant vote for you own). The percentage you get is multiplied by the percentage money you used (use more of your money FTW) and the winner is crowned.

Winner gets : Badge of honour, bragging rights, Knowledge of superiority over the loosers.

If I get 4 or 5 people interested I will start it up. Its just a bit of fun, and a lot of us are on chrono spending imaginary money each night anyway.

UPDATE RULES

1. 5 Watches.
    2. As close to 40k total spend as possible. Closer the better.
    3. All Chrono 24 purchases, full asking Europian Union only (and UK )
    4. Free choice for all watches.

Anyone interested has until Saturday 19th to put in their entry. PM it to me dont post it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Count me in !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

And me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd like to give this a spin too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

893bet wrote: »
    And me.

Why not multiply the popular vote by the percentage of the 40k that wasn't used?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Why not multiply the popular vote by the percentage of the 40k that wasn't used?

I think without impetus to spend the total amount people will all gravitate to very similar safe options, or wont take any risks. It makes it more interesting too....do you blow most on one big watch and some fillers or try even it out??? Stick in a rule or two that there has to be at least one precious metal, or one vintage, or one annual calendar, all blue dial, 5 chronos, and its going to be harder get a good collection going.

I think we could run it with different amounts of money and watches over time to see where people go on 1000 euro, or 5k, or 1,000,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Great idea. I'm in. And the rules are fine as is. No rules. Apart from spending close enough to €40k and getting 5 watches.

Submitted :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Go on then, 40k is monopoly money to me. Go easy on the rules for a start anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Go on then, 40k is monopoly money to me. Go easy on the rules for a start anyway.

Easy enough Rule.
    1. 5 Watches.
    2. As close to 40k total spend as possible. Closer the better.
    3. All Chrono 24 purchases, full asking Europian Union only (and UK :D)
    4. Free choice for all watches.

Anyone interested has until Saturday 19th to put in their entry. PM it to me dont post it.

Europe only watches! That’s tougher.

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    3. All Chrono 24 purchases, full asking Europian Union only (and UK :D)

That rule only came into being after I submitted my choices. I demand an exemption :p

unkel wrote: »
    That rule only came into being after I submitted my choices. I demand an exemption :p

+1, leave that for this week. I just spent half an hour with mrs. b watching me thinking 'he's buying another fcukin watch'.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’m in. Spend my life on C24 anyways. What are the categories? What if you’ve a chrono diver, does that free up a slot?

I’m in. Spend my life on C24 anyways. What are the categories? What if you’ve a chrono diver, does that free up a slot?

No categories this time, I think it will be the winners privilege to choose the categories the next time. Pick what you want within the budget limit. Already have 3 submissions, Unkle immediately found the loophole and bought a bunch of Chinese snides :D but I am sure he will resubmit.

No categories this time, I think it will be the winners privilege to choose the categories the next time. Pick what you want within the budget limit. Already have 3 submissions, Unkle immediately found the loophole and bought a bunch of Chinese snides :D but I am sure he will resubmit.

I predict a blue YM2, a blue gold sub, and 3 more cheaper blue watches.

Photos taken on a blue background under blue light by the chap from the band Eiffel 65 with blues music playing softly in the background.

Just a hunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I'm in. Might take me a while get to my final choices though :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Great idea F. :)

As an aside I had a look over on chrono24 for the craic to see if I could enter this on the vintage side and ohmigod the rip off dealer/stealer prices are unreal. :eek: Particularly from Germany, though that's not a shock. Many dubious descriptions worthy of the worst of hodinkees sales page with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Great idea Fitz. Can I suggest that US watches are allowed if we add the extra tax onto the price? If so, what percentage should we add? If not, I need to revisit my selection.

redlead wrote: »
    Great idea Fitz. Can I suggest that US watches are allowed if we add the extra tax onto the price? If so, what percentage should we add? If not, I need to revisit my selection.

Current VAT is 21% until January iirc.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Great idea F. :)

As an aside I had a look over on chrono24 for the craic to see if I could enter this on the vintage side and ohmigod the rip off dealer/stealer prices are unreal. :eek: Particularly from Germany, though that's not a shock. Many dubious descriptions worthy of the worst of hodinkees sales page with it.

Ya I was looking at Seiko Pogues, some blue dial versions around the 1000 mark. One has POA on it, wtf.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »

People can use US watches if they want to add on 21%...but good luck with that :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me. Trying earlier.

tenor.gif

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Jesus!
    Who knew spending money was so bloody hard!🀣

Recieved a good few submission, will collate tomorrow and post up a poll and let it run for a week of so. Some interesting submission and one very interesting common theme to them. Submission open until midday tomorrow. Glory awaits the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Great idea Fitz, I've just PM'd my list. It wasn't too hard for me to decide, I just had to scan through my Saved watches on the C24 app!

Recieved a good few submission, will collate tomorrow and post up a poll and let it run for a week of so. Some interesting submission and one very interesting common theme to them. Submission open until midday tomorrow. Glory awaits the winner.

They are all virtually Rolex free zones? :eek:

banie01 wrote: »
    They are all virtually Rolex free zones? :eek:

Nope

See the results:

Linky

3 out of 8 have Rolex

Nope

See the results:

Linky

3 out of 8 have Rolex

Just saw, it also may have just dawned on me that I had my chrono24 currency set to bloody $ and never twigged until I saw the actual Fitz corrected entry!
    There was me checking watch location for Europe, rather than currency!
    :pac:

Nope

See the results:

Linky

3 out of 8 have Rolex

I think that qualifies as relatively rolex free.

I think most people avoided them as

1) Overpriced on chrono24. Why get an 8k watch for 12k when you can pick a 20k watch for 10k etc. Impossible to put in any of the “hot” models with out destroying the budget.
    2) They are a tad boring and safe etc.

I suspect if all were handed 40 k to really spend a few more would creep in (except not at chrono24 prices!). A safe place to hide 40k.

• Advertisement

of 40 watches chosen, only 4 were Rolex, only 10%. That's telling seeing as Rolex makes up 99% of internet chatter and videos on youtube. When there is no financial consequence people dont choose the Rolex. This was totally a free choice, no limits and 8k average per watch. Could have gone Hulk and Daytona a 3 seikos but nobody did. Would be interesting to see where people go with 100k or a 3 watch collection for 50k? My take on it is that Rolex is a watch bought with the head not the heart. But if we run the competition of a few months with various criteria it will be interesting where the zeitgeist really lies.

Advertisement