Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Weepsie wrote: »
    Probably the new Galibier Mistral.

That looks good, I'm going to go for that. What is the fit like for Galibier stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭JMcL

That looks good, I'm going to go for that. What is the fit like for Galibier stuff?

Size guides on their website are pretty accurate generally. The Mistral is snug fitting, but not stupidly sized like the Italian brands. I'm 182cm, 83kg, 34 waist and L fits perfectly

JMcL wrote: »
    Size guides on their website are pretty accurate generally. The Mistral is snug fitting, but not stupidly sized like the Italian brands. I'm 182cm, 83kg, 34 waist and L fits perfectly

Thanks, I was wondering if the size guide was accurate. I'm 178cm, 80kg, and 32 waist. It looks like M would fit me, but be a bit snug, so might get the L

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're in Dublin, there's probably any number of us that can let you try one on. Their customer service is excellent though, so returns/exchange are easy.

I have a Mistral in large that's a bit loose, but it's the right cut so covers what it needs when on the hoods etc.

Colombier (predates Mistral) is a bit tighter and such. It's the best looking jacket they've done, but gets a bit warm and doesn't have the water proofing of others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I'm looking for some general suggestions on what clothes I need/should be getting.
    I've currently just got a jersey and a set of shorts (not over the shoulder), they're not that comfortable, but maybe that's the saddle or my lack of time in the saddle..
    I'm also thinking of getting a better helmet.

What should I be getting?
    Cycling is just a hobby for me I don't use it to commute.

I'm thinking:
    Waterproof jacket, gloves, overshoes, baselayer, maybe arm and leg warmers.. I'd also like a nicer set of bib shorts down the line too.
    Am I missing anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

MrMiata wrote: »
    I'm looking for some general suggestions on what clothes I need/should be getting.
    I've currently just got a jersey and a set of shorts (not over the shoulder), they're not that comfortable, but maybe that's the saddle or my lack of time in the saddle..

I'm thinking:
    Waterproof jacket, gloves, overshoes, baselayer, maybe arm and leg warmers.. I'd also like a nicer set of bib shorts down the line too.
    Am I missing anything?

That's a good start. For the waterproof jacket, it probably depends if you want something to put on in case of a shower or want something to wear for a few hours in constant rain or wet weather. I'd probably add a gilet too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm thinking:
    Am I missing anything?

I got back into cycling about 5 months ago, bought-
    bibs
    jersey (pockets at back are great)
    arm warmers (excellent, bought a pair from Planet X for about €5)
    leg warmers (don't need at this time of year)
    Gilet (from Galibier- handy for when it's nippy or shower)
    baselayer- (good for early morning, late evening)
    Saddle bag (for spare tyre etc)
    Handlebar waterproof holder for phone

I wouldn't get a waterproof jacket, overshoe or gloves just yet, more for winter.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Looking for a recommendation for a full fingered glove for early spring/late autumn cycling.

I already have a set of winter gloves, so I'm looking for something to take the sting out of the fingertips on an early morning cycle, but that's not padded like a ski glove. I've been looking at MTB gloves, but most of them don't have any gel/padding in the palm, it seems

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Would you consider just a light liner glove and where your normal gloves over them? That's what I do sometimes. Otherwise, I've used these for years. Not for the very cold days, but for a lot of those neither here nor there ones.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXHWG17/planet-x-365-convertible-race-gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

I have used a pair of these for the last 5 years, not too heavy and sufficiently thin that you still have some sort of 'feel' through the material.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-lightness-2-gloves

They cover Autumn and Spring perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm thinking:
    Am I missing anything?

If your shorts aren’t comfortable then I’d start there. You don’t have to spend a fortune on shorts, but you don’t want to go too cheap. Dhb and Altura are good brands that won’t break the bank, as well as Galibier. You could get leg warmers or tights without pads to use with your shorts when it gets colder.
    Layers are the key for colder weather, so base layers and arm warmers and maybe a gilet will do you well. A waterproof jacket helps, but windproof is quite important, as you’ll never stay dry but you need to stay warm. I find mitts better than gloves for the cold and Planet X have good deals for things like these.
    Helmets are a whole topic on their own. I own 4 and can’t say I’m delighted with any of them. It’s a kind of trial and error thing for me and I think I need to try some more.
    Aldi and Lidl often have deals for decent gear, especially things like base layers.
    Hope this is of use

Any recommendations for a Jersey for late autumn & winter please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

dinneenp wrote: »

It's not budget friendly but the Castelli Perfetto is a serious piece of gear. If you shop around you can sometimes get one around the hundred mark

The base layers are important on the cold days too, the Under Armour cold gear are the ones I have and they are very good.

dinneenp wrote: »

Galibier Mistral foul weather jacket. Excellent piece of kit for the price

Galibier Mistral foul weather jacket. Excellent piece of kit for the price

Thanks.
    Been mentioned here a few times, will probably go for that and possibly their Foul Weather Jersey as well.

Thinking of trying out a pair of these, has anybody tried them before? Reviews looks decent. https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/spring-autumn-cycling-gloves-500-black-en-s166034.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cletus wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for a full fingered glove for early spring/late autumn cycling.

I already have a set of winter gloves, so I'm looking for something to take the sting out of the fingertips on an early morning cycle, but that's not padded like a ski glove. I've been looking at MTB gloves, but most of them don't have any gel/padding in the palm, it seems

There were still a few gloves in Lidl Rathfarnham at the weekend from their last batch if you want something cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Looking for some advice on Castelli sizing. Can I go by their own sizing chart?
    I have a Castelli FONDO jersey in Large, and it's just the right side of snug. Are their shorter armed, lighter jerseys about the same in that case?
    I'm also usually a large in most shorts, so do I stick with L in Castelli, or do I need to move up a size?
    I'm 6 foot tall, 34/34 waist/leg and about 86kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Effects wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on Castelli sizing. Can I go by their own sizing chart?
    I have a Castelli FONDO jersey in Large, and it's just the right side of snug. Are their shorter armed, lighter jerseys about the same in that case?
    I'm also usually a large in most shorts, so do I stick with L in Castelli, or do I need to move up a size?
    I'm 6 foot tall, 34/34 waist/leg and about 86kg.

Not sure if this will be of any use to you but may be useful for reference for someone else.

I'm 5'7 & 72kg, 32 inch waist. I'm medium in all my Castelli gear - long sleeve, short sleeve, bib shorts & tights. I'd be size small in most things but it the Castelli medium was any smaller I probably wouldn't get into it.

That sounds like I should just go for the large in that case. I'll return it if it doesn't fit. Too late to get stuff delivered here before I head away, so having it delivered to France for when I get there.

• Advertisement

Get out a measuring tape and check their sizing chart. I'm L for UK brands such as Endura, but XL for Castelli. My club has VeloRevolution gear and I'm XXL for that stuff, same for Santini. In summary there is no common sizing between manufacturers. It's a real pain spending good money for something that is ultimately too small/large - it's worth taking the time to check.

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/customer-service/size-chart
    https://www.endurasport.com/support/sizing/

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Does any brand do clothes for tall people? I'm 6 foot 4 and going by size charts for most brands id need 2-4xl which will be way too big everywhere but the length. I have a couple of xl jerseys from decathalon and they are too short at the back and keep riding up

lissard wrote: »
    Get out a measuring tape and check their sizing chart. I'm L for UK brands such as Endura, but XL for Castelli.
    https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/customer-service/size-chart
    https://www.endurasport.com/support/sizing/

I did check their charts, and I do seem to fall into the large. But then it might still be tight. I've placed the order so I'll see what it's like when I arrive. I'll have other gear with me, but just wanted spares as I hope to get out every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Hi, i've a quick question about shoes. I don't know what shoes I should be wearing and anytime I look up cycling shoes all I find are the clip in type. I recently started commuting one way on a cheap hybrid I've had for years and whatever cheap plastic pedals are on it do now need clips. A couple of times my toes have gone numb on one foot an hour into my commute and I have't been able to wash the smell of dirty muddy road water out of one pair of shoes. Any ideas?

I recommend MTB shoes for ommuting. SPD pedals tend ot be double sided so they are dead easy to clip into. MTB shoes have a recessed cleat so you can walk in the shoes - road shoes don't allow this. Here are a few suggestions:

Pedals:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals

Shoes:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mt3-mt301-touring-shoes
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-me2-spd-mountain-bike-shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

I'm looking to get some new gear for winter and and am wondering anyone can let me know the fit on the Galibier and Velo revolution clothing.
    I'm thinking race/italian sizing but would like to know from anyone that has bought/used it.

Thanks,

I'm looking to get some new gear for winter and and am wondering anyone can let me know the fit on the Galibier and Velo revolution clothing.
    I'm thinking race/italian sizing but would like to know from anyone that has bought/used it.

Thanks,

Galibier's sizing isn't Italian silly - their size guide on the website is by and large on the button. The Mistral foul weather jacket for example is snug on me but not tight which is exactly as per the size guide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Galibier do have some race fit, but it's always called out. Just go by the sizing charts. Actually, I've found that with all brands (and aliexpress) that if you go on the items sizing it's rare to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Galibier's sizing isn't Italian silly - their size guide on the website is by and large on the button. The Mistral foul weather jacket for example is snug on me but not tight which is exactly as per the size guide

Hi,
    Thanks for this, appreciated, big help.

• Advertisement

Thanks,

I bought a gillet from them- went with L or XL (can't remember which)based on their sizing. I'm 6 foot, average build. Sent it back and got XXL and they refunded my postage for sending it back!

Great customer support from them, been mentioned several times here before.
    Patrick.

Advertisement