Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type of wood for side gate

Options
  • 12-09-2020 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all

New to DIY with a few projects under the belt. Raised sleeper beds, a garden bench and a few small basic projects in the house. Slowly but surely building confidence and knowledge. Next project is for a side gate to replace a weathered one that's seen better days. Not a clue what type of wood I need or should ask for when buying. 2 X 4 pressure tested seems too heavy and not really sure what other types of woods would be suitable. Anyone able to advise what I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

pressure treated wood so it does not rot

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    pressure treated wood so it does not rot

Not sure what type though, sizes ect. What to ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Mine is untreated 3x1 or 4x1 planed,

and sadolin'ed each year, let loads of it soak into the top grain ends, and leave plenty space at the bottom, to reduce rain splash into the bottom grain.
    15years old

• Advertisement

Mine is untreated 3x1 or 4x1 planed,

and sadolin'ed each year, let loads of it soak into the top grain ends, and leave plenty space at the bottom, to reduce rain splash into the bottom grain.
    15years old

Thanks.

Similar 2 this?

https://brooksonline.ie/22mmx100mm-1x4-whitewood-planed-timber-pw022100

What about the braces. Same again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Faze11 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Similar 2 this?

https://brooksonline.ie/22mmx100mm-1x4-whitewood-planed-timber-pw022100

What about the braces. Same again?

Glad I found this thread in actually about to take on the same project and was thinking 3 x 1.i think I would use a 4x2 for the brace on the wall for the gate to fix on to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

There is a kit you can buy in builders providers think its called "gate in a box" where you build it to your own spec but everything is in the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Teak is used a lot on gates, 4 or 5 x 1 would be a popular size.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Everything but the wood! Lovely concept. But, ouch!

Faze; Old engine oil makes a great, (Free!) preservative / stain for jobs like this. Long as yet black is okay by you? ;) Submerge the wood in it over night. 'Last a life time'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭dodzy

Small money. Use these for the main body. Then a regular 5 or 6x1 treated for the braces and a treated 4x2 For the wall supports.

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/treated-tg-v-5x1-119x19mm-4-2mtr-5x1-14ft.html?filter_set%5B%5D=20,2120

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

Did you try one of the guys supplying and fitting these gates be surprised how little you would save if anything DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Aravo

Plastic effect timber would be maintenance free.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

If one was to use standard wood (not pressure treated) for an outside project . Can you "retro-treat" it with sadolins or ronseal or does it really need to be pressure treated in factory for proper long lasting exposure?
    Ie are you wasting your time with wood thats not pressure treated for projects subject to the elements:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Who2

Larch or teak will last well outside. The pressure treated softwoods in the Hardware’s are pure muck. They’ll last a year or two if your stuck.

dodzy wrote: »
    Small money. Use these for the main body. Then a regular 5 or 6x1 treated for the braces and a treated 4x2 For the wall supports.

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/treated-tg-v-5x1-119x19mm-4-2mtr-5x1-14ft.html?filter_set%5B%5D=20,2120

These look perfect. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

Who2 wrote: »
    Larch or teak will last well outside. The pressure treated softwoods in the Hardware’s are pure muck. They’ll last a year or two if your stuck.

Yup, waste of time. Decking boards are decent, larch excellent. A steel frame is the way to go really- no sagging at the hinges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭phormium

I just buy the ordinary pressure treated in usual builders providers, it lasts a hell of a lot longer than a year or two! I'm sure there are more expensive woods out there but for the price it has a good life span I think. If I was doing something that I wanted to look really nice I might go for the more expensive stuff.

During lockdown I replaced some wooden garden things like obelisks and a fence/gate. They had been there for between 10/15 yrs and indeed they were rotted but it was a pretty good run for the cost at the time. I have used a lot of decking too this year on garden projects, I'm hoping that lasts a good while!

I have two side wooden gates, now they are not things of beauty but one is made from a cut down garden wood panel which can be a very cost effective way of making barriers, it's already half made and just needs cutting to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Hmmmm So for instance, Pressure treated decking, (like from Goodwins or Brooks) If you religously maintain them year on year. Wash and treat with oil RELIGOUSLY, is it ultimately futile? Will it all eventually be rotted or in some state of decay in 10 years or need replacement in parts? Forgive my ignorance I thought if you annually cared for your decking/Fences/Gates it would last a lifetime or well at least 20 or 30 years? Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi
    In similar position need to replace side gate anyone use these

https://www.createagate.ie/

• Advertisement

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi
    In similar position need to replace side gate anyone use these

https://www.createagate.ie/

One in 3rd pic I'm looking to build so thinking of 4x1 for the frame and same for the braces. Does that sound doable and will last once treated

One in 3rd pic I'm looking to build so thinking of 4x1 for the frame and same for the braces. Does that sound doable and will last once treated

Of course, but buy the treated timber. It's only pennies in the difference from untreated.

Who2 wrote: »
    That's utter BS talk.

Got around to it today. Never been great at DIY and not perfect but happy with it. Sand, stain and install next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Looks a damn fine job, to me, Faze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Who2

dodzy wrote: »
    That's utter BS talk.

It’s not, treated timber here is the worst of pure dirt. It’s no difference to me what the op uses but that timber will be starting to boast in a few years, hinges won’t stay on and any bits in contact with concrete will be in a nice state. If they are going to the bother of making it, do it right and have it finished with. The two timbers that spring to mind for most suitable is larch or teak, they aren’t that much dearer but you’ll still have a decent gate in ten or twenty years time, and it won’t be slobbered with ronseal fence life or whatever other muck that’s picked up in woodies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Got around to it today. Never been great at DIY and not perfect but happy with it. Sand, stain and install next.

Nice job. I did one recently that doesn't look half as good as that. :)

What timber did u go with in the end. Looks great we'll done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You made a fine neat job of that in fairness, if I was doing one myself I would leave a gap between the timbers to allow for expansion when wet but if you seal it properly it shouldn't be an issue.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The advantage of using treated construction timber is that it's dirt cheap.

This is particularly important if, like me, if takes at least three attempts to get it right.

Make sure you treat cut ends with Protim or equivalent, particularly on horizontal surfaces, nooks and cranies where water can collect, and at load bearing points e.g. hinges.

Advertisement