Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I nearly hexed that! Weird game but think that could be vika done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

And now Azarenka does break. Another twist here perchance! Very strange match.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

First time in a quarter of a century a player has lost the first setup and comeback .

Azarenka seemed to tire and Osaka raised her game.
    Azarenka only won 41% of points on her second serve, Osaka 50%.

Amazing that she can win 50% of points on such a weak second serve ,opponents should be all over it .

glasso wrote: »
    Azarenka could wrap this up within the hour.

Osaka in full Cadbury mode.

Osaka realised the cringe factor and it drove her on :)
    "For me, I just thought it would be embarrassing to lose this under an hour."

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Bitterly disappointed for Azarenka. She was unplayable in the first set but Osaka upped the level massively afterwards. I kept waiting for a dip from Osaka but it never came. Really hope Azarenka gets another chance to win a slam again but difficult not to view this one as the best chance she was ever gonna get.

Osaka's been around a while so I forget how young she is, three grand slams at just 22, and a third consecutive year winning a grand slam. Who knows how much she could end up with, but I think 6 or 7 could be a realistic guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not as invested in tonight's match, but I think it *should* be pretty straightforward for Thiem? I think Zverev might win a set but that's it.

For Zverev to win he's gonna have to serve excellently and go for more, none of this passive shíte he so often falls back upon. Thiem in 4 though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

If Zverev 'gives away' the first set, as he is prone to do, it's curtains.
    Them should have way too much in the arsenal anyway, but he has lost a couple of slam finals and had had an easy ride here do far, he might get tight if Zverev wins the first set and is on his serve...might be a good match but it will take theses guys a good while to be as interesting to me as the big three, there's just too much epicness and legacy in any big three match for anyone else to compare at present

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thiem getting his ass handed to him now. I haven’t seen him play so badly in a long time.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Thiem getting his ass handed to him now. I haven’t seen him play so badly in a long time.

Zverev playing pretty well too, it has to be said, doing what he needs to

Well this isn't going as planned :pac: Thiem completely flat but Zverev has been amazing tbf.

• Advertisement

complete collapse

not the match that was expected

Thiem does not look like a man who can win the next three sets...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pigck29

complete collapse

not the match that was expected

so disappointed .........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thiem pulls one back.......

weird match

Djokovic must be watching this at home, munching a gluten-free vegan burger and kicking himself.

very flat for a 5-setter, maybe the final set will be interesting.

no crowd not helping particularly with this one.

Well, well, we have a decider

hardly highest quality overall but down to a final set tie-break

Zverev is channelling his inner Muguruza

worst 5-set men's GS final ever.

fair dues to Thiem for hanging in but Djokovic would have wiped the floor with either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I had a ok bet on Thiem to win outright so happy that he won but that was not a great match. A fun match but just not much quality.

First 2 sets duds, standard then improved but that fifth set while captivating was very low in quality. That tie break summarised it perfectly, exciting, but Thiem won because Zverev choked more than more than him.

Ah well nice to have a new winner, onto France.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The fifth set was very exciting and topsy turvy.
    Some good tennis in it, both players battling hard.

Zverev has a habit of tightening up on points including his serve and that was ultimately the difference.
    He did well to break in the fifth set and then threw the next service game away.

Thiem probably deserved it more, he has lost 3 finals before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Augme

Very entertaining game, if not the highest quality. I do feel the lack of a crowd makes a huge difference though. Can't help but feel being able to feed of a crowd must make s big difference to anyone's game.

It will take a long time for Zverev to get over that one though. Hopefully getting that close will help him kick in though.

Fairly uneven tennis but hard to blame them given the circumstances. Zverev will come on a lot from that, congrats to Thiem, his first real test of the tournament and he stayed in it till it turned around.

The new guard are levelling up as the old guard are levelling down, next year will hopefully be interesting as a result.

Definitely exciting to watch from the 3rd set on. First 2 sets, Zverev had him sussed, and then Thiem started to play, and Sacha started going backwards. It was painful to watch his serve disintegrate. If Thiem had played his usual game he would have destroyed those >70mph second serves. This will haunt Zverev for a long tine, I think seeing as he was serving for the championship and was broken. It goes to show the gulf between the top 3 and the rest, but I do think Thiem was hampered by the injury from the outset.

lostcat wrote: »

The new guard are levelling up as the old guard are levelling down, next year will hopefully be interesting as a result.

Not really in the case of Djokovic imo

He's still above the level of the pack at the hard courts and probably grass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They both served for the match in the fifth and blew it? I stopped watching towards the end of the third set, doesn't exactly sound like a high quality finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Regarding the quality of tennis tbf to both guys, the circumstances definitely take away from the overall event and performances are bound to have suffered as a result, it's the same for all sports during lockdown, there's just something missing (the crowds) which takes away from the overall experience.

Imagine Nadal v Federer at Wimbledon 08 without a crowd, it definitely wouldn't appear to be as good, also would both players have elevated their play as much without a crowd as the game went on, we'll never know, but, I suspect that without the crowd while the level of tennis would be high, the match itself would not be remembered as the epic match it was.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Regarding the quality of tennis tbf to both guys, the circumstances definitely take away from the overall event and performances are bound to have suffered as a result, it's the same for all sports during lockdown, there's just something missing (the crowds) which takes away from the overall experience.

Imagine Nadal v Federer at Wimbledon 08 without a crowd, it definitely wouldn't appear to be as good, also would both players have elevated their play as much without a crowd as the game went on, we'll never know, but, I suspect that without the crowd while the level of tennis would be high, the match itself would not be remembered as the epic match it was.

There is some affect for sure but it doesn't really excuse the overall level.

It was not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

There is some affect for sure but it doesn't really excuse the overall level.

It was not great.

Agree, we've been spoilt by the big 3 for over a decade and a half, the next generation are clearly a step down even as the big 3 age. It's father time that will eventually finish off the big 3 not the next generation of players

Advertisement