Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

1192193194195196198»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Get off your high horse and actually address some of the facts I stated about the regression of times over the years and how parkrun does nothing to promote healthy lifestyles or actually improving personal fitness.

It's a social event run by a limited company.
    Oh the irony after your previous posts. Perhaps high horse riding is the preserve of "proper runners"

As has been pointed out previously, the increase in average finishing time is due to the increase in participation numbers rather than increased individual times. Typically individual times decrease over time as they get fitter and faster. The rest of your assertions are your opinion, not fact. You may not like the parkrun concept, that is your prerogative, but your dislike of parkrun does not give you the right to denigrate those who do or those that benefit from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Get off your high horse and actually address some of the facts I stated about the regression of times over the years and how parkrun does nothing to promote healthy lifestyles or actually improving personal fitness.

It's a social event run by a limited company.

Think we already covered why they promote the average times getting slower and how that isn't a sign of individual people getting slower.

How is encouraging a wider spectrum of society to become active not promoting healthy lifestyles? They also regularly have food and recipe information in they emails over the last few years, although I don't pay them much notice that doesn't mean they are not there. The have a partnership with the Co-Op in the UK for the last few years and have been promoting healthy food choices, and that partnership has recently been extended.

As for the limited company bit, anything in particular you want explaining about their setup and group of companies? Perfectly normal for charities to be limited companies, perfectly normal for a charity to own a for profit limited company that trades to raise money for the charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yiz are getting sucked in, folks. This is someone who likes to complain about ‘townies‘, ‘fatties’, and now ‘parkrunners’. It’s a pity he doesn’t like his local parkrun event, which could do with a bit of support from club runners in a town with a decent running tradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Murph_D wrote: »
    Yiz are getting sucked in, folks. This is someone who likes to complain about ‘townies‘, ‘fatties’, and now ‘parkrunners’. It’s a pity he doesn’t like his local parkrun event, which could do with a bit of support from club runners in a town with a decent running tradition.

I'm not a club runner and never was, don't have the talent to be, so can't answer for them.
    But I can assure you club runners are out putting in the hard miles on a Saturday morning as I see them.
    They aren't the type to jog 5k at walking pace and spend as long afterwards eating cake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But I can assure you club runners are out putting in the hard miles on a Saturday morning as I see them.
    They aren't the type to jog 5k at walking pace and spend as long afterwards eating cake.

I resemble that remark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm not a club runner and never was, don't have the talent to be, so can't answer for them.

Imagine thinking you have to be talented to be a club runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dental Floss

rovers_runner.... you haven't a clue, and you've really shown yourself up. Maybe stick to the elite racer threads so you can swing your dick around, because you're obviously too good for the parkrun thread. What a plonker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Woohoo I have a talent

Club running is for competition.
    If you want to wear a club bib and jog around its up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Club running is for competition.

No its not.

In the course of 3 or 4 posts you have managed to show your complete ignorance of 2 huge elements of the running scene in Ireland: parkrun and running clubs.

Could you do us a favour and define how you think a runner should behave, what their motivation should be, what kind of events they should attend or avoid etc? And then try to estimate what percentage of people out running regularly actually meet your criteria once you've eliminated all the parkrunners, non-elite club runners and whatever other elitist criteria you have decided to impose. It will be quite a small percentage.

• Advertisement

eoinín wrote: »
    No its not.

In the course of 3 or 4 posts you have managed to show your complete ignorance of 2 huge elements of the running scene in Ireland: parkrun and running clubs.

Could you do us a favour and define how you think a runner should behave, what their motivation should be, what kind of events they should attend or avoid etc? And then try to estimate what percentage of people out running regularly actually meet your criteria once you've eliminated all the parkrunners, non-elite club runners and whatever other elitist criteria you have decided to impose. It will be quite a small percentage.

People don't need to fit either of what you mention above.
    I'm sure there are many thousands who don't.

Although it does play to that rag Irish runner's target market by aiming at people who run 5k in the week and consider themselves runners.
    Sure let them keep lowering the standard and soon there will be an "Irish runner tie your shoelaces memorial run" .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

People don't need to fit either of what you mention above.
    I'm sure there are many thousands who don't.

Although it does play to that rag Irish runner's target market by aiming at people who run 5k in the week and consider themselves runners.
    Sure let them keep lowering the standard and soon there will be an "Irish runner tie your shoelaces memorial run" .

you seem to be, perhaps deliberately, missing the point that at least 2 people have clearly explained above - the reason that the "standard" is being lowered is not because parkrun, Irish Runner, etc are telling existing runners that its fine to not try as hard as they used to, or that its fine to have a slower time in a race than they used to, it's that the overall number of people regularly running is going up and there are a huge amount of people starting out and running more slowly than others, therefore diluting average times and "lowering the standard". If you genuinely still think, after this issue being clearly explained to you again, that parkrun and Irish Runner are telling individual runners to slow down, can you please show me where this is happening?

Another question for you: would you rather have, say, 1,000 people in Ireland able to run 17 minutes for a 5k, giving an average national 5k time of 17 minutes, or 1,000 people in Ireland able to run 17 minutes and another 10,000 people running much slower because they have decided to try to improve their health and wellbeing and become healthier people through exercise. One consequence of the latter is a slower national average 5k time. But surely that's a small and rather irrelevant price to pay for increased activity and health, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dental Floss

No reply, says it all...

eoinín wrote: »
    you seem to be, perhaps deliberately, missing the point that at least 2 people have clearly explained above - the reason that the "standard" is being lowered is not because parkrun, Irish Runner, etc are telling existing runners that its fine to not try as hard as they used to, or that its fine to have a slower time in a race than they used to, it's that the overall number of people regularly running is going up and there are a huge amount of people starting out and running more slowly than others, therefore diluting average times and "lowering the standard". If you genuinely still think, after this issue being clearly explained to you again, that parkrun and Irish Runner are telling individual runners to slow down, can you please show me where this is happening?

What I said was they don't encourage improvement, they just want to have larger numbers.
    Also they launched parkwalk and added operation transformation people so no, running alone is not their aim, growing their brand is.
    Adding to that you can take part without registration or a bib it makes it a free for all in terms of returning to running events post covid-19.

Another question for you: would you rather have, say, 1,000 people in Ireland able to run 17 minutes for a 5k, giving an average national 5k time of 17 minutes, or 1,000 people in Ireland able to run 17 minutes and another 10,000 people running much slower because they have decided to try to improve their health and wellbeing and become healthier people through exercise. One consequence of the latter is a slower national average 5k time. But surely that's a small and rather irrelevant price to pay for increased activity and health, right?

Why pick 17 minutes?
    Why not use the real figures from parkrun? Their averages are in the 30's, hence there is a lot more people walking/jogging than running.
    Why claim they rest are running when they clearly aren't.
    People who run a social 5k a week and nothing else from Sun-Fri is not increased activity, it's the same as the ones who pay a few hundred euros in Jan to a gym and go the odd time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

More people are getting out and getting exercise and improving their health.

Most people are trying to improve their time each week regardless of whether that’s beating a PB of 17mins or 37mins. How anyone could think that’s bad is beyond me.

More people are getting out and getting exercise and improving their health.

Most people are trying to improve their time each week regardless of whether that’s beating a PB of 17mins or 37mins. How anyone could think that’s bad is beyond me.

What does that have to do with my original point?

Parkrun will ruin it for the rest of us who are waiting on properly run events with registrations. Parkrun allows people attend and take part with no bib/registration recorded. It would be a sickner to see this social event ruin it for the rest of the running community

What I said was they don't encourage improvement, they just want to have larger numbers.
    It's possible to do both. They do encourage improvement. PB's are highlighted on your results, they get mentioned in your weekly emails if you acheive a new PB. They even tell you about what your best time during the previous 12 months on that course in recognition of the fact that ageing happens and whilst you may not be able to beat your time from 15 years ago running your fastest time for now is still an improvement.

There is some questionable loading in the numbers, but they also also recognise the best age grade results for each event each week, and list the best times for each gender/ age/ event.

What about any of that is not promoting trying to achieve for the individual?
    Also they launched parkwalk and added operation transformation people so no, running alone is not their aim, growing their brand is.
    Not sure that "parkwalk" is an actual parkrun thing. It is just third parties getting together to encourage walking at parkruns, and parkrun doesn't have a problem with that.
    What about getting people off the sofa and out being active is not promoting improvement, even if that is just walking to begin with?
    Adding to that you can take part without registration or a bib it makes it a free for all in terms of returning to running events post covid-19.

parkrun don't have exclusive use of the parks, in most cases, and don't pay for their use so they can't limit access. It's hardly a free for all though, as unless you are there for parkrun or to walk your dog there really are not that many people out at that hour of the morning to hang out in parks.
    Why pick 17 minutes?
    Why not use the real figures from parkrun? Their averages are in the 30's, hence there is a lot more people walking/jogging than running.
    Think you need to have a revisit of some of your maths studies. Completing 5km in 30 minutes is not walking. You'd need to be doing a pretty determined walk to get around in 45minutes, so if the average is faster than that then most people are clearly still runners.

But why does it matter if there are more walkers, that is not getting in the way of the person doing sub ?? up the front? The fact that someone is walking doesn't stop anyone from running fast.
    People who run a social 5k a week and nothing else from Sun-Fri is not increased activity, it's the same as the ones who pay a few hundred euros in Jan to a gym and go the odd time.
    If their previous activity was zero then yes it does count as increased activity. If they go along to parkrun a few times and that is their only exercise walking round, but then they get encouraged to do more, and go out another time during the week, and then try to beat their previous time walking, and then try running a bit, and then try running a bit more and at some point event maybe get as far as running the whole way round...does that count as improvement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There seems to be a new parkrun starting up in Trim, Co. Meath.
    https://www.parkrun.ie/porchfield/

Hopefully a start wont be too far away for all events in Ireland.

Fair play to Tralee Parkrun - 130 parkruns being recorded despite it not running.

There are a couple of new events which have appeared on the map near me since lockdown, one 5km and one 2km, and I know of at least one more that is hoping to get their final approval done soon which will give us even more options locally. That next new one for me is probably on the back burner now though until the restart actually happens.

Have seen conflicting opinions on when those new events which are already on the map will actually start and if they will go on week 1 of a restart of parkrun, or wait a couple of weeks. There are very good reasons for either option and will be interesting which way they go, or if it's even the same for all of the new but not yet actually started events.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Am I correct in assuming that junior parkrun will return at the same time as regular parkrun or has that ever been mentioned?
    My poor little girl has done loads of parkruns unregistered but has had a barcode since she turned 4 in May that's waiting for some scanning.

We have kept our own 2k going every Sunday during lockdown.

They have said they will return at the same time.

Multiple people have suggested to them that juniors should return first because the numbers are smaller, but parkrun HQ's reasoning against that (which I'd agree with) is that if juniors return you suddenly have a significant increase in 14+ attendance as those older kids are not getting their Saturday 5km fix and also you get a bunch of significantly older "kids" who have gone and recently re-registered with a new date of birth and will turn up in "hilarious" fancy dress outfits.

The junior events are mostly fairly self limiting in attendance and it's rare for an event to get more than 100, if they restarted without the 5km's on the Saturday they would get overrun and really wouldn't be a fun place to take a 4 year old for a trot around a park anymore. They work because they are smaller events.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Our juniors must be one of the bigger ones then as we rarely have less than 100 and sometimes exceed 200 :)

Why pick 17 minutes?

Running doesn't have a set time limit. If someone takes 35 mins for a 5k going as hard as they can, then that is running for that person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Just read that "time to start parkrun again" blog post from Chrissie Something, OBE. Now that was scary. Falling Covid numbers? In what world would that be?!

If that's the current thinking of parkrun head office... well, that's not good.

Just read that "time to start parkrun again" blog post from Chrissie Something, OBE. Now that was scary. Falling Covid numbers? In what world would that be?!

If that's the current thinking of parkrun head office... well, that's not good.

You mustn't have got the memo TaurenDruid.
    Parkrun has changed the world you see, it's above medical science, sure its curing obesity the world over with all those 40+ minute 5k runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

@rovers_runner

You clearly have absolutely no idea of the purpose and ethos of parkrun

ger664 wrote: »
    @rovers_runner

You clearly have absolutely no idea of the purpose and ethos of parkrun

To quote Chrissie...

"parkrun can help turn the tide of growing ill health and of inequity. which means parkrun must always be there when someone needs it."

Whatever did we do before parkrun came along, we weren't living, only existing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

@rovers_runner please stop trolling. you've made your point. I get it. You don't like parkrun. Fine. You're not adding anything to the debate.

Looking the levels for Covid in Ireland, its going to be a long 2021:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Looking the levels for Covid in Ireland, its going to be a long 2021:(
    Yep, short of a vaccine, it looks like no running events for the masses for the next 8 months :(

• Advertisement

So time to start a new thread as the boards.ie hamsters don't like it when threads go over 10,000 posts. This is a first for this forum in us needing to create a new thread, there might just be something in this parkun idea.

New thread here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114651009

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement